Discrimination | Michigan | News

Michigan State Rep. Says Being Gay Is A 'Lifestyle Choice': VIDEO

MCMILLIN
In 2003, Michigan State Representative Tom McMillin told The Detroit News that he believes people choose to be gay and need help. "I think that the people who are caught up in the homosexual lifestyle need help. We encourage people to stop smoking. This resolution is the same sort of thing," the Republican said. That was six years ago and McMillin's views haven't really changed. He still thinks being gay is a choice and that people can choose to be straight.

Asked during a town hall meeting held late last month whether he stands by those comments, McMillin said yes, telling his audience that people can "come out" of homosexuality. "I think that the thousands of people that have been in that lifestyle and come out would say that it was their choice when they were in and came out of the lifestyle," he said in a comment caught on video included AFTER THE JUMP.

"I think for some it is, it sounds like it," McMillin said when again asked whether he thinks being gay is a choice. According to The Oakland Press, McMillin cited actresss Anne Heche as an example of someone who "left" homosexuality.

Former Ferndale, Michigan, mayor Craig Covey spoke out against McMillin, saying, "The science says that it is not a choice, but I'll tell you what is a choice, being a prejudiced person, being a bigot, being anti-gay — that is a choice, and it is a choice that Tom McMillin has made."

McMillin's office responded to the video with an email message claiming it is simple a liberal distraction: "A few liberals clearly want to take the focus off what we’ve been accomplishing."

Watch the video report AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. So I guess by this 'logic' it must mean that there is... something, just one little thing that's keeping ol' Tommyboy here from doing the horizontal mambo with a male intern or two? Hmm... I wonder what it could be?

They never seem to follow the logical conclusions of their absurd claims.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Oct 6, 2012 5:14:23 PM

2. 1. What Mr. covey said.

2. I don't believe it is a choice, but for arguments sake let's say that it is; why should that matter? Why must people be forced to choose heterosexuality?

Posted by: Tanoka | Oct 6, 2012 5:21:08 PM

3. religion is a choice, having children is a choice and we have laws to protect those choices, So whats his point?

Posted by: Akula | Oct 6, 2012 5:29:41 PM

4. Every time I hear one of these creeps compare being gay to smoking, I know I'm listening to somebody who likes to sneak out for a cigarette every so often, if you know what I mean.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Oct 6, 2012 5:36:22 PM

5. Yep. Went to the gym, cleaned my apartment, and spent the rest of the afternoon grading student papers. What a lifestyle it is.

Posted by: You betcha! | Oct 6, 2012 5:37:22 PM

6. All the dumbfucks who are mad at Obama and plan to sit out the election need to know that people who believe as this whore does (or pretends to, to get votes) will be appointed to the Supreme Court if Romney wins.
    You can kiss women’s reproductive rights, Gay rights, and much more goodbye if you don’t work hard to get Democrats elected
    — although we may agree they are imperfect
    ____ and, Andrew: 2003 was nine years ago

Posted by: Bob | Oct 6, 2012 6:02:43 PM

7. I think the tactic should be to make people describe what this "lifestyle" actually is. being slutty? doing lots of meth? going to dance clubs? wearing tacky versace shirts? being so waxed and tan you look like a baby oompa lumpa's ass?

They seem to know what they mean but never are specific as to why its a bad lifestyle choice

Posted by: Homo Genius | Oct 6, 2012 6:12:19 PM

8. The orientation is NOT a choice BUT it IS a choice to immerse oneself in the gay social scene, a scene which isn't exactly savory. That's where choice comes into it. I wish these anti-gay bigots would get their stream of thought right because they DO have a valid point if they are referring to the harmful effects of promiscuity and drugs in our social scene.

Let's not deny it. These thing DO exist. Promiscuity and drugs and partying all night ARE promoted in the gay male social scene. It is NOT a healthy lifestyle at this level of choice.

I wish the gay media would admit to this. It doesn't want to because it would be an admission that we aren't perfect and that much of our "liberation" is in fact based on having as much sex as possible. There's also a LOT of money in promiscuity.

Posted by: jason | Oct 6, 2012 6:32:23 PM

9. @Jason...sounds like you've self-described your own life. Too bad. You miss out on a lot while doing all those gay/bad lifestyle choices. I was in college, studying & working nights, so you probably didn't catch that while you were screwing around and doing drugs.
    You're a disgusting pig...and not because you were a whore as a young professional fag...but because of who you are today.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 6, 2012 6:43:27 PM

10. I always believed the term lifestyle meant what people DO and not so much with WHOM people spend their lives.

A gay couple dedicated to raising their children may lead a lifstyle quite similar to a straight couple with kids. A gay couple with no kids may travel and lead a more adventurous lifestyle.

People like Tom McMillin tend to believe that all gay people choose a lifestyle of sex, drugs, and partying. Some do. To those of us who don't, this is infuriating.

Posted by: KZ | Oct 6, 2012 7:15:38 PM

11. Paul B,

I don't care about you. I simply stated my viewpoint, which is based on fact. In contrast, yours is based on bile.

By the way, I never did drugs. However, I frequented dark nightclubs with loud ear-piercing music and chemical smoke-filled dance floors. Very healthy...not.

I hope that a lot of gay men wake up to the dangerous inducements of the gay male social scene. They can be life-destroying, not just soul-destroying.

My advice to gay men is this: find a group of friendly individuals regardless of sexuality and mix with the mainsream. Mainstream is reality. Gay clubs are manufactured entities.

Posted by: jason | Oct 6, 2012 8:06:39 PM

12. @Jason...it sounds like your opinion is based on your past lifestyle choices....not mine, not most of my old friends. So, you might want to re-examine what you consider "bad" choices and think of how you could have done it differently and perhaps not have become the bitter person you sound like today. The gay male social scene...like the straight male social scene is what you choose to make it for yourself...there's plenty of options and it sounds like you regret the choices you made. Please don't project your personal failures on the rest of us all the time.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 6, 2012 8:25:25 PM

13. Paul B,

I'm simply talking about cultural imperatives. Don't deny that gay bars and nightclubs are a cultural imperative in the gay male social scene. In fact, gays have become entirely bar-centric in recent years.

By the way, there is no such thing as a straight male social scene. All social scenes populated by straight-identifying men include women within the sexualized paradigm. They consist of two genders, not one.

I'm not saying that it is gay men specifically who choose to adopt poor lifestyles. However, I'm saying that such poor lifestyle are encouraged within the gay male social scene.

All individuals are capable of making moral choices to opt in or out of such lifestyles. But - and this is the big but -these lifestyles are sold as "gay rights" in the gay male social scene. It's a fraud.

Posted by: jason | Oct 6, 2012 8:44:14 PM

14. Anne Heche is the worst possible person for some moron like this to cite. If anything, she demonstrates that having completely psycho evangelical whackjob parents can either cause one to temporarily believe one is lesbian, or never be able to fully accept it in spite of being in a relationship with someone like Ellen. Both of Anne's parents were totally nuts - her Mom is still an anti-gay activist.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 6, 2012 8:48:52 PM

15. @Jason...I get it now. You're seriously damaged goods, you're angry because you don't think you have options and you assume the rest of us don't either. I wish I could help you pal, but it's beyond my skill-set and job description. Good luck.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Oct 6, 2012 8:51:19 PM

16. Paul B,

People do have options but their options are influenced by advertising. Why the heck do you think companies spend billions of dollars per year on advertising? They're not doing it for nothing. There's a return there for them.

I'm simply pointing to the fact that the gay scene is dominated by false advertising. The gay scene falsely advertises the notions that drinking alcohol, having lots of anonymous sex and taking drugs is a form of "gay rights". This is how a lot of young men get sucked into unsavory lifestyle choices that can ultimately kill them.

Posted by: jason | Oct 6, 2012 8:55:22 PM

17. Echtkultig,

The thing about Anne Heche is that she's a woman. Women are known to fake their sexuality. Women use their sexuality as a marketing ploy. Women don't need to be aroused in order to have sex with someone. Combine all these things and you have a person who sexual behavior does not correlate with sexual need.

This is why I think it's dangerous to equate the female experience with the male experience when it comes to same-sex relationships. Women use sex as a means to an end, men have sex because it is an end in itself.

Posted by: jason | Oct 6, 2012 8:59:56 PM

18. @ BOB :

You speak wisely.
    If we don't get out the vote and consequently Romney wins, then he is in for eight years on the wave of the ending recession.
    That would put the Supreme Court in the hands of the extreme right wing for a generation.
    You can then forget about equal rights and learn to fight the constitutional amendment they will introduce against our equal rights.
    Women can forget about Roe -v- Wade; socially deprived people can forget about support; immigrants can forget about Dream Act and start self-deporting; and all of you earning over 250,000 a year can rub your hands with glee.
    In addition there will be no effort to repeal the Citizens United case by amendment and the Republicans will lock in their ability to buy elections.
    We must destroy the Republicans and Romney/Ryan in Nov.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 6, 2012 9:29:49 PM

19. Gay lifestyle ????

Ha ha ha; working extremely hard,trying to juggle personal relationship to include things other than just collapsing on the couch after work......

Dark clubs ? Drug filled dance floors ?
    Are you serious ?
    Some of us have grown up !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 6, 2012 9:36:01 PM

20. By the way, since when does a Michigan State Representative even deserve the steam of my pi$$ ?

And I ask the same question I always ask ; what can he do ? Is he a plumber, a bus driver, a pilot , a teacher , a nurse ?
    What is he capable of doing other than mouthing off his bigotry ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 6, 2012 9:40:21 PM

21. By his logic, Cynthia Nixon and Meredith Baxter "left" heterosexuality. And there can be no such thing as bisexuality, it's either one or the other.

Just another idiot on camera.

Posted by: eyechart | Oct 6, 2012 10:12:18 PM

22. So when idiot Stevie Wonder says being gay is a choice you are all OK with it because he's famous but when this politician says the same thing you are all shocked ?

GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES ! Hate and discrimination is the same whether it's from spoiled brat Stevie Wonder or by this moronic politician !

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 6, 2012 10:20:28 PM

23. I can still remember, as if it were yesterday, when I was NINE years old, I weighed the pros and cons of heterosexuality and homosexuality and chose homosexuality because I concluded that it would make my life so much easier.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 6, 2012 11:28:02 PM

24. @ Jason - Stop generalizing. For every gay male out at clubs and bars all night, there are 15 - 20 others who are home with their spouses, kids, families.
    Only the WEAK are influenced by advertising. Besides, this thread is about the DOUCHENOZZLE State Rep saying that being gay is a choice. That's not to be confused with guys who go out to clubs and bars.
    Hey - take a visit to Hollywood. You'll see nothing but straight guys and girls going out to bars and clubs all night, doing drugs, etc. They do the EXACT same thing that you state "gays do" in your comment.

Posted by: Tre | Oct 7, 2012 2:19:12 AM

25. @ICEBLOO - WTF ?? Get YOUR head out of YOUR OWN ass. No one is talking about Stevie Wonder, and no one was "OK" with his bigoted comment, which is why Mr. Wonder walked it back.

Honestly, between you and Jason, the idiocy quotient in this comment thread has reached a new pinnacle....

Posted by: Tre | Oct 7, 2012 2:23:43 AM