Comments

1. Michael Lassell says

Dear human thingie: The deer cross at that particular spot because their ancestors have been doing it since before the first humanoids crossed the land-bridge from Russian to Sarah Palin’s house to become the Native People of North America. Notice I didn’t say native “inhabitants.” Those would be the deer and their fellow fauna. Maybe the road should be moved. Maybe the deer crossing at that very point has ecological significance beyond human understanding.

2. THE QUEEN says

WELL AT LEAST THEY ARE CROSSING INTELLIGENTLY AND NOT WIRED OR HOOKED UP TO SOME ELECTRONICS LIKE IPADS OR IPODS OR WHATEVER. CAN’T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I’VE SEEN THESE PEOPLE JUST WALK INTO THE STREET OBLIVIOUS TO THEIR SURROUNDINGS. EVEN SAW A WOMAN ON HER MOTORBYKE ON THE FREEWAY TEXTING AWAY. GOOD GOLLEY MISS MOLLEY. NAMASTE.

3. F Young says

Don’t you understand, putting up deer crossing signs is just like sex education!

Once you give them information, it’s bound to encourage them to do it! It makes perfect sense!

If you’re a wingnut.

4. Diogenes Arktos says

I don’t think this is a joke. Absolutely not. As proof, read some anti-gay propaganda from the Religious Right. (ditto anti-feminism, anti-Islam etc.)

5. Todd says

You think that’s bad, you should try driving in the mountains. Why do they put up those signs encouraging rocks to fall on the road?! That could be dangerous!

6. gr8guya says

@ Todd: LOL. Thanks for making my day.

I have 3 ideas that might help this woman with her problem.
    1) Install “Leap/Don’t Leap” signs in certain locations. Then have a button – possibly salt covered – that deer can push when they want to cross. 2) The deer should be instructed to look both ways and hold hands (hoofs?) while crossing. 3) Certain mature deer could be issued crossing guard signs and uniforms, in order to protect younger deer while they cross the street.

Seriously, deer crossing signs are placed in certain locations because deer usually follow the track of previous deer. They create a trail and then the other deer will follow that same route, establishing a pattern. Therefore, one can determine what areas will be mostly like for deer movement.

7. Nat says

I must admit… I was totally laughing at her but after hearing her response, she took in very much in stride. I feel kind of bad that she’s getting teased so much about it but again, she’s taking it in stride and she’s not letting it get to her too much. She even admits feeling dumb about it.

8. i could go on, but I won't says

@GR8GuyA: That was a very thoughtful analysis with three good suggestions. However, wouldn’t it be simpler to just put a black diagonal slash mark across the deer signs indicating that it is no longer allowed?

9. Chris in Kansas says

I also listened to the follow-up piece and now feel a little bad for thinking what I thought of her. It’s still hard to think that a grown woman didn’t understand this, but heck, when I was in grade school, I saw “NO OUTLET” signs on the street, and thought that the people on that block didn’t have electricity because, well, they don’t have any power outlets. 😛