2012 Election | Barney Frank | News | Tea Party

Barney Frank Blames Tea Party For Gridlock

FrankBarneyAppearing on CNN's State of the Union today, Rep. Barney Frank blamed ongoing Beltway gridlock on the Tea Party's 2010 rise.

"I do believe that there were elected some people in 2010, tea party influence, who repudiated the notion of compromise, and some of them said it exclusively," said the openly gay lawmaker. "You have to start from a position of principle and then you work together. I think in 2007 and 2008 we showed how can you do that."

Unfortunately, CBS News predicts that we'll see more gridlock as the new Congress gets into action, or rather inaction. And that potential scenario won't be the Tea Party's fault:

When the next Congress cranks up in January, there will be more women, many new faces and fewer tea party-backed House Republicans from the class of 2010.

Overriding those changes, though, is a thinning of centrist veterans in both parties. Among those leaving are some of the Senate's most pragmatic lawmakers, nearly half the House's centrist Blue Dog Democrats and several moderate House Republicans.

That could leave the parties more polarized even as President Barack Obama and congressional leaders talk up the cooperation needed to tackle complex, vexing problems such as curbing deficits, revamping tax laws and culling savings from Medicare and other costly, popular programs.

Frank of course won't have to deal with those headaches. He's retiring at the end of this session.

Comments

1. Isn't that stating the obvious? Though I don't entirely agree with the CBS assessment.

Another obvious thing is how sick I am of this ad on the right side of the page for The Brief from American Apparel. It looks like they found a meth-addled hustler on the street, gave him $15 and a pair of underwear, and took a picture once he regained consciousness.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 25, 2012 12:45:03 PM

2. So that's it! The Tea Party! Why didn't someone say so earlier? I've been wondering.

Posted by: Soren456 | Nov 25, 2012 12:50:53 PM

3. He's letting the rank and file GOP legislators off as they bought into the tea party and it's agenda, let's hope that republicans learned some lessons with the 2012 election and the rigid stance taken by some members of the GOP doesn't work and is not supported by the voters.

Posted by: lk | Nov 25, 2012 2:32:08 PM

4. I thought the DNC had control of the Senate & Congress in 2007 & 2008, so there was very little to compromise with the White House?

When Obama became POTUS in 2009, it was complete DNC control.

I believe this is what gave creation of the Tea Party and supporters, that was originally and is still primarily concerned over fiscal policy.

Historically, there have only been two instances of complete party control over both Senate & Congress, so mediation has always been the norm.

There has been an higher propensity or extreme polarization since 2006, but I believe the aggressor has been lead by the DNC party by nature of special interests, more negative campaign tactics, and more unwillingness to negotiate? Most of the RNC has been more of preservation, but this too is waining.

I really like the finger pointing, but they should all look in the mirror.

Posted by: Bohica | Nov 25, 2012 2:43:52 PM

5. DNC did not have complete control once Obama took office. That is a fallacy. Dems only had complete control of both the presidency and Congress for no more than 5 months. And complete control doesn't negate the obstructionism in the Senate of a minority dead set to make Obama a one term president can do. Obama would've accomplished more if he had not tried to be bipartisan at all. All his attempts at reaching across the aisle were met with stalling, watered down legislation, and complete rejection of agreed upon compromised terms. When the Dems regained the House during W's last two years of office, they compromised and worked with him. They didn't hold the nation hostage like the GOP.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Nov 25, 2012 8:23:23 PM

6. Mr. Frank was always good at the blame game. Dodd/Frank Bill was a joke and helped to create some of the problems we are facing.

I am so very pleased he is going away.

Posted by: HA! | Nov 25, 2012 8:42:31 PM

7. While I believe everyone involved has some fault in the matter, I have rarely seen such a push for ideological purity no matter the consequences as the Tea Party. Second to them is the Religious Right. They both operate out of a context of speaking directly for God and therefore cannot compromise. It is sorry when these groups fight against facts (reality) when their causes demand it.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 25, 2012 8:48:29 PM

8. Mr Frank points out one of the major problems in the U S Congress in recent years: the disappearence of the political center. Compromise, cooperation and consessions are see as negatives to be avoided at all costs. And so we have a barely functioning government.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 25, 2012 11:22:44 PM

9. this topic Barney Frank Blames Tea Party For Gridlock will assist me to complete my assignment. Thanks

Posted by: mba dissertation help | Nov 26, 2012 1:20:30 AM

10. I have to hold my nose whenever I speak of anything political because the political class has done nothing but enrich themselves at the expense of the governed. If we had term limits and banning of all special interest groups at the federal level we could accomplish something as opposed to nothing. Tea Baggers are of some blame but not all.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Nov 26, 2012 12:36:46 PM

11. I am an exstreamest of the right because I want to defend, preserve, conserve the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, and its form of governmednt the Republic for which it stands, and I hate libneralist extremism from the left which has brought us an unConstiotutional democracy which Karl Marks said was "...the road to socialism." So the liberals, a term socialist hide behind, have brought us a socialist economic form of big government, and finaly a devout solcialist Heir Obama with his dictator chin held high as he scans his edyes across the crowds as did Hitler and Musolini.

Posted by: Maynard | Dec 1, 2012 9:27:48 PM

12. I am an exstreamest of the right because I want to defend, preserve, conserve the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, and its form of governmednt the Republic for which it stands, and I hate libneralist extremism from the left which has brought us an unConstiotutional democracy which Karl Marks said was "...the road to socialism." So the liberals, a term socialist hide behind, have brought us a socialist economic form of big government, and finaly a devout solcialist Heir Obama with his dictator chin held high as he scans his edyes across the crowds as did Hitler and Musolini.

Posted by: Maynard | Dec 1, 2012 9:27:49 PM

13. If each of you wants to be a red blooded patriotic American you must learn what is a Constitutional conservative, not just an arbitrary conservative that means nothing without a prefix. Also learn what change is to a liberal. Also read the following:
    http://www.4rie.com/mainindex.html and
    http://www.4rie.com/rie%201.html thru 209.html These two sites will explain to you who our ednemy really is and why thinghs ae so screwed up.

Posted by: Maynard | Dec 1, 2012 9:35:07 PM