2012 Election | Nate Silver | News

Nate Silver's Book Sales Boom After 2012 Election

Signal-noise-why-so-many-predictions-fail-but-nate-silver-hardcover-cover-artNate Silver's nearly perfect call on the 2012 election is translating into massive booksales.

From a CNN report filed yesterday afternoon:

Sales of the book, "The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - but Some Don't" shot up 850% on Amazon.com during the last 24 hours.

It is now the second best selling book on the site, behind only popular children's book, "The Third Wheel, Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book 7."

So, what's next for Silver? Hopefully a vacation. And, according to Politico reporter Roger Simon's predication, perhaps some negotiations.

He tweeted, "The next sound you hear will be Nate Silver negotiating a new contract."

Comments

1. Odds that Nate Silver's book would do well after an Obama victory:
    99.9%.

Odds that Karl Rove will get billionaires to give him as much money for the next election: .1%

Posted by: gr8guyca | Nov 8, 2012 12:12:21 PM

2. I hope Nate makes millions. You might remember the snarky wingnuts who actually said Nate was"a man of very small stature" and "a thin and effeminate man with a soft-sounding voice." Evidently, Nate was too gay to be that smart. Hope he enjoys a bit of schadenfreude.

Posted by: turing's ghost | Nov 8, 2012 12:34:57 PM

3. it's good reading - so far. i took some time out to pick this up and it does start with a very good very succinct review of empire and print and of course now that we're digital, where are we going.

totally why i went back to school

Posted by: io | Nov 8, 2012 12:41:11 PM

4. actually i wonder if he would do good over at wired. their editor in chief and another big shot just left. could be an interesting shake up.

Posted by: io | Nov 8, 2012 12:43:42 PM

5. Yep...the funny thing about the guy who said that is he looks like an inbred lardass:

Someone should assemble a book: faces of the tea party. It could be like Roger Ballen's photographs of white South Africans.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 8, 2012 12:46:49 PM

6. Mr. Silver's book is fantastic, a great read! And, he was spot on!

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 8, 2012 1:11:08 PM

7. Meanwhile, Dean Chambers, the guy behind the ironically named UnskewedPolls.com, will be scrounging for half-eaten chalupas behind a Taco Bell.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Nov 8, 2012 1:13:49 PM

8. No one should work for Wired. Let's not wish that on Nate.

Posted by: unruly | Nov 8, 2012 1:21:57 PM

9. Um..guys...Rick Santorum says a 'homosexual cabal' stole the election:

You can't make this stuff up!

Posted by: Rick Santorum | Nov 8, 2012 3:34:32 PM

10. Santorum probably does think that, but that's a parody website/Onion wannabe.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 8, 2012 5:14:50 PM

11. Good for Nate, but I wonder what percentage of those who buy the book will read the whole thing?

Posted by: Alan | Nov 8, 2012 7:26:55 PM

12. Yes, it's true. Nate Silver is gay. When asked if he had noticed people looking at him as a "gay icon," Nate responded, "I’ve started to notice it a little bit, although so far it seems like I’m more a subject of geek affection than gay affection."

We need to show a little more affection for our amazing gay geek.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 8, 2012 7:35:19 PM

13. This is not really great news. In the book Nate Silver essentially denies climate change because he falls for a common misconception.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 8, 2012 8:05:57 PM

14. @OS2Guy: LOL I'd certainly love to give him some affection for being a gay geek.

@Eric: Sorry to hear about Nate's views on climate change. That just means he can correct it for the soon-to-be forthcoming 2nd edition.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 9, 2012 3:39:22 AM

15. As a recovering math team member (back in the day when that was NOT cool for girls), I love that Nate has made math cool, plus he has a great sense of humor and he's adorable. I have a total crush (and yes, I know I'm not his type, on top of the fact that I'm technically old enough to be his mother . . . celebrities aren't going to go for me regardless of their orientation, so I can also drool over Ricky Martin). Plus as a good Jewish mother, I dream of having a gay son (of course!, he'd never replace me with another woman and I'd have a shopping buddy) Meanwhile, here's the first love song ever written to a psephologist (don't worry, I had to look it up too) - but it won't be the last!

Posted by: Lauren Mayer | Nov 9, 2012 12:13:54 PM