Discrimination | Gay Marriage | News

Andrew Dice Clay Stands By 'Fag' Onstage: 'It's Funny'

AndrewDiceClayDavid Haglund sat down with Andrew Dice Clay to discuss the comedian's upcoming Showtime special, his first in 17 years, and the use of the term "fag" therein.

From their conversation published at Slate:

Slate: You start the new special with your sons opening up for you, so we see Andrew Dice Clay the family man right away. But then in one of your very first riffs once you’re on stage, you give one of the guys in the front rows a hard time by saying he’s going to "catch gay."

Clay: You’re going to "catch fag." I don’t say gay.

Slate: Because gay is too nice a word?

Clay: I get asked about that. And I say, “Why would I say gay? That’s politically correct.” But the other reason I say fag—number one, let’s just talk about the word fag. Fag is a funny word. To gays, it was insulting years ago, and I understand that because I have gay friends. But as a word onstage, for what I do as a comic, you don’t say, “You’re going to catch gay.” It’s not funny. “You’re going to catch fag” is funny.

Clay isn't homophobic, he says, he simply wants to highlight the contradiction between right-wing arguments against equality and reality. "The reason I did the bit, honestly, is that during the presidential race, when Romney was saying that when he’s president there will be no gay marriages, I’m thinking, 'Is this guy just a f*cking idiot?'" he said.

Clay went on, "The way it is today with this recession, people can’t afford to keep their homes anymore, everybody’s losing everything, and this guy is worried about who’s going to marry who? Whether you’re gay, straight, you can’t tell anybody who to love and who to marry. It’s unconstitutional and it’s morally wrong."

Comments

1. thanks for clearing that up for us, clay.

Posted by: deedrdo | Dec 20, 2012 4:41:38 PM

2. OMG WHO THE HELL COULD CARE?

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 20, 2012 4:44:17 PM

3. Have the word directed at you and see how funny it is. I won't be watching this special.

Posted by: Butch | Dec 20, 2012 4:50:54 PM

4. Shame on Showtime.

Posted by: calvin | Dec 20, 2012 4:52:34 PM

5. MY GOD IS HESTILL AROUND, I DIDN'T THINK HE WAS. I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT SOMEBODY SAYING FAG. IT'S NOT NICE OF COURSE BUT PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE AND YOU CAN'T EXPECT EVERYBODY TO BEHAVE. I THINK ALL THIS FINING OF JOCKS AND WHOEVER JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY IT IS RIDICULOUS. YOU CAN'T STOP EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD FROM USING EPITHETS. JUST NOT POSSIBLE. BUT NOW ON A MORE CORDIAL NOTE, I WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS. GOD BLESS YOU DAHRLING.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Dec 20, 2012 5:11:15 PM

6. Has-been loser. Nobody cares about him anymore.

Posted by: Jester | Dec 20, 2012 5:21:21 PM

7. Faggot is just as bad as the N-word... and I'm sure Clay would never use that word to be "funny". Hollywood & the real world have to realize this... you ain't queer, you don't get to say it.

Posted by: john | Dec 20, 2012 5:29:10 PM

8. Never heard of him. Stop giving him more attention than he deserves.

Posted by: reality | Dec 20, 2012 5:48:55 PM

9. Why would Showtime gives this has-been a show?

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 20, 2012 5:50:50 PM

10. If gays are going to complain about a comedian saying fag, perhaps they should come up with a new term for faghag.

Posted by: Sabatghzl1098 | Dec 20, 2012 6:00:35 PM

11. Sorry, Dice, but fag is still an offensive word to the gays, especially coming from a straight comic who made his reputation as a misogynist shock comic. Jokes do not come equipped with a disclaimer to inform the audience - "Oh, and by the way, I'm not homophobic and I approve of marriage equality." Dice is hopeless anyway - he never had real talent, just a lot of shock value, and he came along at the right time for someone like him to get attention, the earliest HBO comedy when we weren't used to seeing that on TV. Years ago one of his jokes was complaining about gay pride parades - "'We need more money for AIDS, the faggots say.' I need a new car, but I don't do a parade about it." But just watch - audiences are so insipid and stupid that he'll probably make a comeback.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 20, 2012 6:03:49 PM

12. Omg, could u guys just chill the flip out. 1st, no its not funny but its not being used in a real negative sense. He isn't calling someone it as a put down and if u guys stop being total drama queens you might realize he is for gay rights.

Can we pick our battles better?

Posted by: Michael | Dec 20, 2012 6:09:10 PM

13. He was the worst paid actor on Entourae. He did not need to act like a moron, it came naturally. Is Mark Wahlberg a cousin?

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Dec 20, 2012 6:13:36 PM

14. @SABATGHZL1098 Who says faghag any more? And even if some of The Gays do...it's our word. If Dice Clay said it, I'd be offended. If one of my faghags used the word I'd LOL!

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 20, 2012 6:28:10 PM

15. This herpes sore wouldn't know what's funny if it slapped him on the back of the thighs with a hairbrush.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Dec 20, 2012 6:31:21 PM

16. WE can say faghag. It is OUR word. This idiot doesn't have that right.

MICHAEL: Why pick battles when we can just as easily fight all of them? Just because people don't tolerate this loser throwing the F word around doesn't mean that we aren't also pursuing larger issues.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Dec 20, 2012 6:33:45 PM

17. @ MICHAEL
    He may be for gay rights but he also thinks that homosexuality is something to made fun of. That's the root of homophobia.

Posted by: calvin | Dec 20, 2012 6:35:57 PM

18. Who?

Posted by: benjamin | Dec 20, 2012 6:49:11 PM

19. Isn't he dead yet?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Dec 20, 2012 7:03:17 PM

20. We all know if he said derogatory names about Jews (he's a Jew, btw) that his career would be over.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Dec 20, 2012 7:09:55 PM

21. I thought this was an advertisement for a Men's Hair Color product.

Posted by: grego | Dec 20, 2012 7:23:28 PM

22. He's employed on this planet?

Posted by: Randy | Dec 20, 2012 7:33:33 PM

23. He is a vulgar pig like Howard Stern, but a lot of immature College Frat type guys like them. And so it goes.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 20, 2012 7:50:53 PM

24. Just don't watch it. There. Problem solved.

Posted by: Acem | Dec 20, 2012 8:12:35 PM

25. I think he's saying "you're gonna catch fag" as a comment on the stupidity of homophobic people. Using the slur (aka their language) only reinforces the sillyness, imo.

Let's not totally judge this without context.

Posted by: lookyloo | Dec 20, 2012 8:36:44 PM