2010 Election | Jim DeMint | News | South Carolina | Tea Party

Anti-Gay Sen. Jim DeMint Resigning To Run The Heritage Foundation

Byejimdemint

In a move that's surprising for a career politicians but makes perfect sense for an unwavering ideologue, Republican Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina is stepping down in January to take the helm as president of The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank that spends its $80 million annual budget fighting everything from raising taxes to marriage equality to giving ex-convicts the right to vote.

The Wall Street Journal reports that DeMint's departure means that South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will name a successor who will then run on their own during a special 2014 election.

DeMint, a former US Rep. elected to the Senate in 2004 and reelected during the Tea Party surge of 2010, has made homophobia a hallmark of his Senate career: he has consistently said gay marriage will destroy society and even went so far as to say that gay people and single women shouldn't be teachers, a remark he lated defended

Comments

1. more money at heritage but more power in the senate

there has to be more to the story like toe tapping in a bathroom stall

Posted by: Moz's | Dec 6, 2012 11:10:18 AM

2. What a vile excuse for a human being.

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Dec 6, 2012 11:10:24 AM

3. What a vile excuse for a human being.

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Dec 6, 2012 11:10:24 AM

4. What a vile, disgusting piece of human filth...

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Dec 6, 2012 11:10:47 AM

5. I live in South Carolina. This makes me want to dance in the streets, if not for the fear that Haley will appoint someone even worse.

Posted by: Josh | Dec 6, 2012 11:11:42 AM

6. Great, Nikki Haley is sure to appoint someone moderate and reasonable. /s

Posted by: mike8787 | Dec 6, 2012 11:11:51 AM

7. From what I know about Nikki Haley, she will take advantage of this opportunity to take DeMint's place herself. I doubt she could win another SC election, so this is her shot at higher office. My SC Republican relatives can't stand her.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 6, 2012 11:11:56 AM

8. My fear is that the replacement will be even worse, but I hadn't considered Haley nominating herself. From what I read, she's viewed pretty unfavorably and has managed to alienate much of the legislature and business community.

Posted by: Butch | Dec 6, 2012 11:14:08 AM

9. Bye, Jim. But, then, who will Haley appoint? Things could be worse.

Posted by: PJW | Dec 6, 2012 11:20:48 AM

10. There is more to the story no doubt. New senators in the minority must have relatively less power in the Senate, so that's a positive note.

Having spent several weeks one summer in Columbia, SC, I just prefer not to think about the whole thing.

Posted by: Fahd | Dec 6, 2012 11:22:12 AM

11. Yay!

Posted by: jakeinlove | Dec 6, 2012 11:23:14 AM

12. DeMint is the "You lie!" guy, right? What a rude rube.

Posted by: AlamoSpartan | Dec 6, 2012 11:30:05 AM

13. smaller government! but big enough to infringe on the individual rights and liberties of gays and single mothers!

would he have preferred those single mothers had abortions?

i don't get it. you can't be anti-Choice and then demonize single mothers.

well, you can be. it just makes you look reallllllyyyy stupid

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 6, 2012 11:30:59 AM

14. Oh, for f*ck's sake!!! At least in the Senate we had him where we could keep an eye on him. Now this putrescence is going to be loose in public square... wonderful. I don't know whether to reach for the Stoli or my hunting togs.

Oh, and Andy - two words: PROOF READ!

The sloppy writing, poor spelling, and miserable context is driving me nuts faster than all these cookies, trackers, and pop-ups/overs/unders.

Posted by: Mommie Dammit | Dec 6, 2012 11:37:29 AM

15. No, alamospartan, Rep. Joe Wilson was the "you lie!" guy. Jim DeMint is the guy who wanted to purge schools of gay teachers.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 6, 2012 11:40:28 AM

16. Thanks, Dastius, for ID-ing the "You lie" guy. All those hateful crackers look and sound -- and probably smell -- the same to me. Can't tell 'em apart.

Posted by: AlamoSpartan | Dec 6, 2012 11:47:02 AM

17. DeMint is a Digusting PIG - he'd fit real well in a NAZI uniform

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 6, 2012 11:50:13 AM

18. @Little Kiwi: where in this post, or the prior one, does it say he opposes anything about women-headed households?

@Andrew et al.: PLEASE get your headlines more correct! They determine what I decide to read and I don't appreciate being lied to.

What DeMint opposes both here and your prior post is NOT single women per se, but (single) women having sex outside of marriage. Apparently, he doesn't have an issue with men doing so;)

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 6, 2012 12:08:13 PM

19. He had some seniority built up that now vanishes. That can only be a positive thing, regardless of his appointed successor. Good riddance to bad rubbish, one of the most backward-thinking people in his party (and yeah, I know, that's really saying something!).

Posted by: Lance | Dec 6, 2012 12:18:47 PM

20. i misread- i thought it said "single mothers" :-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 6, 2012 12:29:31 PM

21. You're welcomed, alamospartan, but "crackers"? Ouch. As a native South Carolinian, I resemble that remark.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 6, 2012 12:30:40 PM

22. I'm not very familiar with him. Is there 'hint of mint' in Jim DeMint? There often is with these rabid rabid homophobes, projecting their internal struggle with gay attraction onto others.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 6, 2012 12:42:30 PM

23. "In a move that's surprising for a career politicians..."

Late night last night, cAndy?

Posted by: Copy Editor | Dec 6, 2012 1:41:44 PM

24. I take this to mean he isn't planning on running in 2016.

Posted by: anon | Dec 6, 2012 1:41:54 PM

25. @Anon: He expllicitly says he's leaving the Senate in January of the coming year.

And I have always thought his last name was misspelled.

Posted by: DeMent | Dec 6, 2012 1:54:11 PM