Anti-Gay Sen. Jim DeMint Resigning To Run The Heritage Foundation

Byejimdemint

In a move that’s surprising for a career politicians but makes perfect sense for an unwavering ideologue, Republican Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina is stepping down in January to take the helm as president of The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank that spends its $80 million annual budget fighting everything from raising taxes to marriage equality to giving ex-convicts the right to vote.

The Wall Street Journal reports that DeMint’s departure means that South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will name a successor who will then run on their own during a special 2014 election.

DeMint, a former US Rep. elected to the Senate in 2004 and reelected during the Tea Party surge of 2010, has made homophobia a hallmark of his Senate career: he has consistently said gay marriage will destroy society and even went so far as to say that gay people and single women shouldn’t be teachers, a remark he lated defended

Comments

1. Moz's says

more money at heritage but more power in the senate

there has to be more to the story like toe tapping in a bathroom stall

2. Josh says

I live in South Carolina. This makes me want to dance in the streets, if not for the fear that Haley will appoint someone even worse.

3. Dastius Krazitauc says

From what I know about Nikki Haley, she will take advantage of this opportunity to take DeMint’s place herself. I doubt she could win another SC election, so this is her shot at higher office. My SC Republican relatives can’t stand her.

4. Butch says

My fear is that the replacement will be even worse, but I hadn’t considered Haley nominating herself. From what I read, she’s viewed pretty unfavorably and has managed to alienate much of the legislature and business community.

5. Fahd says

There is more to the story no doubt. New senators in the minority must have relatively less power in the Senate, so that’s a positive note.

Having spent several weeks one summer in Columbia, SC, I just prefer not to think about the whole thing.

6. says

smaller government! but big enough to infringe on the individual rights and liberties of gays and single mothers!

would he have preferred those single mothers had abortions?

i don’t get it. you can’t be anti-Choice and then demonize single mothers.

well, you can be. it just makes you look reallllllyyyy stupid

7. says

Oh, for f*ck’s sake!!! At least in the Senate we had him where we could keep an eye on him. Now this putrescence is going to be loose in public square… wonderful. I don’t know whether to reach for the Stoli or my hunting togs.

Oh, and Andy – two words: PROOF READ!

The sloppy writing, poor spelling, and miserable context is driving me nuts faster than all these cookies, trackers, and pop-ups/overs/unders.

8. Dastius Krazitauc says

No, alamospartan, Rep. Joe Wilson was the “you lie!” guy. Jim DeMint is the guy who wanted to purge schools of gay teachers.

9. AlamoSpartan says

Thanks, Dastius, for ID-ing the “You lie” guy. All those hateful crackers look and sound — and probably smell — the same to me. Can’t tell ’em apart.

10. Diogenes Arktos says

@Little Kiwi: where in this post, or the prior one, does it say he opposes anything about women-headed households?

@Andrew et al.: PLEASE get your headlines more correct! They determine what I decide to read and I don’t appreciate being lied to.

What DeMint opposes both here and your prior post is NOT single women per se, but (single) women having sex outside of marriage. Apparently, he doesn’t have an issue with men doing so;)

11. Lance says

He had some seniority built up that now vanishes. That can only be a positive thing, regardless of his appointed successor. Good riddance to bad rubbish, one of the most backward-thinking people in his party (and yeah, I know, that’s really saying something!).

12. Dastius Krazitauc says

You’re welcomed, alamospartan, but “crackers”? Ouch. As a native South Carolinian, I resemble that remark.

13. Caliban says

I’m not very familiar with him. Is there ‘hint of mint’ in Jim DeMint? There often is with these rabid rabid homophobes, projecting their internal struggle with gay attraction onto others.

14. Copy Editor says

“In a move that’s surprising for a career politicians…”

Late night last night, cAndy?

15. DeMent says

@Anon: He expllicitly says he’s leaving the Senate in January of the coming year.

And I have always thought his last name was misspelled.

16. jamal49 says

Lovely. A cushy, high-paying job at a conservative “think-tank” (now there’s an oxymoron) for one of the laziest and most mediocre senators ever. I can hardly wait.

17. DeMent says

In the Far Right misinformation industry, I believe this may be called “kicking him upstairs”.

18. DC Arnold says

Good riddance to bad rubbish… Jim Detwit wasn’t a senator as much as a hemmorrhoid on politics. When you shoot down your own to make points with the crazies in your group, you cease to be of any use to the more lucid.