Baltimore | Crime | Maryland | News

Baltimore Gay Man Suspects Hate In Christmas Attack

Baltimore

Kenni Shaw's Christmas ended on a horrifying note when five men jumped the 30-year old in his East Baltimore neighborhood. Though police have some suspects and leads, they're falling short of a motive. For Shaw, the answer is obvious: homophobia.

From The Baltimore Sun's report:

"I was pinned down by punches," Shaw said of the beating he received Christmas night, outside the East Baltimore liquor store he frequents near his home. "It was so hard that I felt my lip and side face swell up immediately. I was trying to talk to these guys, but they weren't letting me talk."

Instead, they were intent on beating him — simply out of hate, said Shaw, a 30-year-old gay man.

"I was just beaten in my face. Nothing was taken. No words were exchanged before the incident," he said. "So to me, I think it was a hate crime."

He knows he stands out in his Berea neighborhood. His dyed blond hair rests atop a wiry, 6-foot frame. His chosen career path, as a cosmetologist and hairstylist, puts him at odds with the tough mentality of other men in the neighborhood. He's noticed the tension that creates before, in offhand comments muttered by men he doesn't know but recognizes, about them not wanting "faggots living on the block," he said.

As the investigation continues, Shaw, who is recovering at his mother's house, says he intends to use his own experience to help spread the word about anti-gay violence.

"It makes me angry and upset, but at the same time, I am here and I made it through. I just want to stand and make sure I have a voice, so this doesn't happen again to a loved one or anyone," he said. "I'm glad I could be a spokesman, because a lot of people don't make it through situations like this."

And his mother's right there by his side: "As long as my son is willing to stand up, I'm going to back my son 100 percent."

Comments

1. Everybody knows it was the anti-gay Christians who in one way or the other beat this gay man up. Anti-gay Christians are the accessory to every murder and hate crime against LGBT in the Western world and the anti-gay Muslims are the accessory to every LGBT murder and hate crime in the Eastern world.

Posted by: Martin | Dec 28, 2012 11:25:03 AM

2. Horrifying.I'm glad he survived.Homophobic monsters.

Posted by: Miguel | Dec 28, 2012 12:32:54 PM

3. We only know the gays side of the story. It maybe true but it maybe false. It's possible that this homo committed criminal harassment or assault & battery on a man before the man reacted violent. It's possible that the gay had committed indecent exposure before a man hit the gay in the face several times & now the gay is saying he was a hate crime victim for sympathy.

Many to most gay bashings happen after a gay commits a crime such as indecent exposure, harassment or assault&battery. DRUGS ARE GAY such as METHEW Wayne Shepard. Would like to know this gay's medical history such as is this homo a drug junky or does he have a history of harassing other men in the bathroom. Gay/lesbian behaviors are toilet behaviors & they must make it a crime to do sex changes as transexuals are worse.

Posted by: funincoldweathersnowfall | Dec 28, 2012 6:10:09 PM

4. 1 thing else to repeat, gay/lesbian groups side with gays no matter what the gay bashing victim did. Shepard Foundation Executive Jason Marsden (Fartsden)saw nothing wrong with Harvey B. Milk committing homosexual statutory rape on a 16 year old boy in 1964. Big Island Chronicle's Tiffany Edwards Hunt also sees nothing wrong with Harvey Bernard Milk committing homosexual statutory rape on a 16 year old boy in 1964 & Tiffany Edwards Hunt was the journalist who covered the 1998 METHEW Wayne Shepard killing. Tiffany Edwards Hunt of Big Island Chronicle also saw nothing wrong with drug junky METHEW Wayne Shepard falsely accusing a man of sex abuse in August 1998, 2 months before he was killed. Since this is the case, let's falsely accuse Tiffany Edwards Hunt of sexual abuse of children since she thinks false sex abuse accusations are Okay.

What is also true is that Big Island Chronicles Tiffany Edwards Hunt has farted in front of her kids to entertain them-her 2 kids have also smelled Tiffany Edwards Hunt's turds. Big Island Chronicles Tiffany Edwards Hunt has farted in front of her husband & her husband has smelled Tiffany Edwards Hunt's turds. Perhaps both Jason Marsden (Fartsden) & Big Island Chronicles Tiffany Edwards Hunt should both have a farting contest where both fart in front of Tiffany Edwards Hunt's kids. Incidentally, Big Island Chronicles Tiffany Edwards Hunt has smoked drugs in the past. Big Island Chronicle Tiffany Edwards Hunt does smelly farts & turds.

Posted by: funincoldweathersnowfall | Dec 28, 2012 7:42:53 PM

5. Terrible time to be victimized. He will remember this for the rest of his life because of the date. I hope he gets justice but I'm very skeptical. Baltimore is very lax in finding and convicting criminals.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Dec 29, 2012 2:34:06 AM

6. Peace and love to Kenni and his mom.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 29, 2012 8:32:00 PM

7. East Baltimore is one of the worse urban neighborhoods in the country. I've gone through Baltimore many times and stay the F away from East Baltimore. My suggestion is this poor guy move to a safer neighborhood or city, because Baltimore in general is a very high crime place.

==================