UC Berkeley Student Government Demands School Ban Salvation Army from Campus for its Bias Against Gays

The UC Berkeley Student Government has passed a resolution demanding that the school ban the Salvation Army from campus over its bias against gays, Campus Reform reports:

SalvationarmyThe resolution, cleared on November 14, accuses the charity of openly discriminating against gay individuals.

“Salvation Army church services, including charity services, are available only to people ‘who accept and abide by the Salvation Army’s doctrine and discipline,’ which excludes homosexuality,” reads the bill, SB 176.

In the resolution, the student body also demands school administrators revoke the Salvation Army’s permit, which currently allows them to collect donations on the Berkeley campus.

“Allowing the Salvation Army to collect donations on campus is a form of financial assistance that empowers the organization to spend the money it raises here in order to discriminate and advocate discrimination against queer people,” it adds.

The Salvation Army denies it is anti-gay:

"The notion that we require those we help to 'accept and abide by the Salvation Army's doctrine and discipline which excludes homosexuality' to receive assistance is totally false," wrote Kathy Lovin, a spokeswoman for the Salvation Army.

In fact, the Salvation Army's bias against gays is well documented, including statements by officials that homosexuality is "an unacceptable urge", its lobbying against same-sex marriage in the UK and Australia, its threat to stop serving NYC if it had to obey an equal benefits ordinance, and its statement by an official just this year that gays should be put to death.

Comments

1. Francis says

Very good. To be expected at Berkeley. It’s really alarming how few people realize just how hateful SA is.

2. AJ says

Why is Salvation Army the only charity that harasses people in this way during the holidays? Why isn’t there an option to walk past the red kettle and put your money somewhere else? Right. I know we’re supposed to seek out charities and donate etc etc. But why don’t more of them do it the way SA does? Do they have a stranglehold on soliciting or what?

3. KP says

I fear we are going to lose this battle against the Salvation Army. Since the main stream media does not really report on the documented anti-gay bias of the org, it boils down to a they-said, they-said on TV and in the news. There is no denying the Salvation Army does a lot of good and unfortunately most people will give them leeway about the bad. By attacking one of the biggest and most well known charities in the world, we might be setting ourselves up for a PR failure. We have been publically complaining about the Salvation Army for years and their donations have only gone up.

4. Larry says

Thank God somebody is speaking out against the anti-gay hate group called the Salvation Army. These anti-gay Christians are giving the good accepting LGBT Christians a bad name.

5. NE1 says

I can’t stand it, can’t walk into the grocery store without hearing that stupid bell, that hurts your ears when it’s cold, and then they say Merry Christmas at me like they know I’m gay and would be offended by it.

6. belo says

Anyone who is afraid of a PR failure for the LGBT community in denouncing anti-gay hate organizations hasn’t been paying attention.

7. Icebloo says

I have already started informing every bell ringer charity collector this year that the Salvation Army gives money to Republican candidates, funds anti-gay legislation etc. I have decided I am going to approach every one of them that I see this year and ask them if taking away Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, food stamps, access to women’s health screenings, access to contraception etc is in line with their Christian values.

8. andrew says

I never give any money to the Salvation Army. Nor do my relatives and friends. Of all the Protestant groups they are the least offensive.They are committed to the Social Gospel, except it doesn’t include LGBT People.

9. andrew says

KP is absolutely right. Don’t pick a fight that you don’t have a “prayer ” of winning. Using the logic of the U C Berkeley Student Government almost every religion would have to be banned from campus. Something that I personally would like, but not an attainable goal.

10. DC Arnold says

I used to be homeless and the SA was a peripheral organization that indirectly assisted the shelter I was in. Today I take a $5 bill and a $1 bill to the bucket. I engage the volunteer and inform him/her that I was going to give $5 but politics ruined my giving spirit so I hand the $1 to the individual who decides to put it in the bucket or their pocket.

11. TonyJazz says

I never contribute to the SA, due to their anti-gay advocacy. We may not ‘win’ this battle, but they’ll get no money from me until they change.

Just like many other charities, many churches are also supportive of all communities, including gays. Those are the only institutions with a realistic sense of morality.

12. Tim says

The notion that the Salvation Army uses a litmus test when it offers aid is complete nonsense. And yes, I am a gay man. The organization has done a lot of good in my community. So today, I wrote a $10,000 check to my local chapter. I hope others will do the same.

13. Mary says

“almost every religion would have to be banned from campus. Something that I personally would like, but not an attainable goal.”

Andrew, you’ve been nice to me lately so I hate to say something that might get you angry, but I have no choice. The above statement you made says directly that if banning religious groups from campuses were a politically attainable goal you’d go for it. I assume that the other side monitors gay websites regularly. These type of statements will be used against the cause of equality and encourage groups like NOM to claim “Today, SSM, tomorrow, religion banned…” I don’t know if you really meant this, but they’ll use it to encourage fearful fantasies. Trying to be helpful here. (…….and I hope you won’t tell me again to turn my vibrator down! I don’t even own a vibrator.)

14. andrew says

@Mary: “not an attainable goal” because the 1st amendment would prohibit such a ban, and I would not want the constitution changed to limit religious freedom. And: “hope you won’t tell me again to turn my vibrator down” I have not and would never post such a rude statement. If it was posted in my name, it was more than likely posted by Littlekiwi or one of his homofascist followers who do everything they can to silence those who have the nerve to disagree with them.

15. andrew says

@Mary: the one piece of advice that I would have for you is : stop being a doormat for the homofascist bullies who are constantly attacking you. They see moderation and compromise as weakness, So, every once and a while tell them where to go!!! This lifelong Queer sees them for what they are: Authoritarian, anti-democratic bullies. They are the Rush Limbaughs, Glen Becks and Donald Trumps of the left.

16. says

@NE1,

Of course, you and many others should be offended because you do not love the Truth regarding that you are a SINNER, whether homosexuality or not.

2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; BECAUSE THEY receive NOT the LOVE of the TRUTH, that they might be SAVED.
    2Th 2:11 And FOR THIS CAUSE God shall SEND THEM STRONG DELUSION, that THEY should BELIEVE a LIE:

They will be deceived believing a lie that God loves sinners, tolerates homosexuality in CHURCH and in STATE, and to turn their nation AND CHURCH upside down with laws passed to protect the right of gay marriage and gay rights claiming that homosexuality is NOT an abomination.

You have been warned….by the sound of a bell!

17. mary Prior says

Salvation Army hateful!!! I just do not believe this. I am not a member of the S.A.; however, I believe wholeheartedly in their mission. They are one giving organization. I admire every bell ringer; I try NOT to pass a bell ringer without dropping something in. Actually, I look forward to their being out ringing that bell every Christmas Season. They could be in their warm homes enjoying family; but no, they are out ringing the bell in order to help others!!! Thank God for the S.A!!!

18. inxy says

Well students I hope that in the time of a disaster or when you are down and out the SA passes you by. Get a life.

19. Jenni says

Just another left wing, latte drinking mob of nut jobbers trying to bring down an organisation that cares for all – including those that do not fit into the mainstream of life!

20. Sara says

I cannot believe this sorry attempt to go after the Salvation Army. They are not anti-gay. Just a bunch of lies from the gay,libtard left.

21. john demirjian says

You people are just another bunch of bullies taking the spirit out of Christmas. Shame on you.

22. LaurieK says

This is about as ridiculous as the Chick FI La deal. Why must you make such a big deal about being gay?? I don’t f’kn get it.

23. Dr Svoboda says

All I can say is: Are you kidding me? where is your proof that the SA is anti gay or anti anything, or for that matter pro anything other than trying to bring comfort to those in need in the very community they collect funds?

24. David says

Very interesting. As usual, the homosexual and heterosexual left preach tolerance of any and all, yet practice the utmost intolerance of ideas and beliefs that run counter to their own. The next time you speak the words ‘hate’ and ‘intolerant’, be sure you are looking in a mirror. The reflection you see will be that of the cold and dark heart you falsely believe to reside in the minds and bodies of those to whom you direct your ire.

25. JoAnne Renee says

As a Buddhist and a Registered Nurse who has worked for the Salvation Army, I can tell you that the Army provides assistance to those who need it with absolutely no regard to that person’s sexual orientation,religion, political affiliation or any other variable. The Army does not seek converts or try to impose its religious beliefs upon anyone. I am shocked to read that students at Cal would create and promote such a distorted view of the Army.

26. EdD says

The Salvation Army was started in Europe in the 1860’s. They are truly dedicated folks who, to the best of my knowledge, do not discriminate against anyone. They have the mind of Christ, who did not discriminate either.

27. Luke says

Really lash out against the SA? I guess the same people would say st judes childrens cancer hospital is awful as well.

28. mk_ultra_returns says

Its disgusting that salvation army bullies come here to bully us in an attempt to show their not bullies.
    Phobes, get over the fact that SA is an evil piece of sh!t