Brazil | News

BigGayDeal.com

At Least 232 People Dead After Fire At Night Club In Brazil

Nightclubfire2

Simply horrific news out of Santa Maria, Brazil, where pyrotechnics are blamed for a night club fire that left at least 232 people, mostly college students, dead. Most of the deaths are reportedly from smoke inhalation as as many as 2,000 panicked patrons tried to escape.

From USA Today:

The facility was hosting an event for a local university. Most of the attendees were students of that school, the Federal University of Santa Maria.

Television images showed smoke pouring out of the nightclub as shirtless, young male partygoers joined firefighters in wielding axes and sledgehammers, pounding at windows and walls to break through to those trapped inside. Teenagers sprinted from the scene desperately trying to find help — others carried injured and burned friends away in their arms.

"There was so much smoke and fire, it was complete panic and it took a long time for people to get out, there were so many dead," survivor Luana Santos Silva told the Globo TV network.

According to CNN's report, the club was an estimated 1,000 people over capacity.

Feed This post's comment feed

Comments

  1. 1,000 people over capacity??? Wow, I knew Brazil isn't known for enforcing their building safety/fire codes, but that's ridiculous.

    Posted by: Sad | Jan 27, 2013 2:50:23 PM


  2. I don't understand why bands/groups think it's a wise idea to do pyrotechnics inside where there is lots of flammable materials that could only ignite and cause a disaster like this one or like happened in Warwick, Rhode Island at the Station Night Club.

    Posted by: Joseph Singer | Jan 27, 2013 5:05:08 PM


  3. There was a fire at a Boston night club in 1942 that killed almost 500[!] people. It is still the worse night club fire in U.S. history. And the area in occurred in is now a mini gayborhood called Bay Village. It's the reason Boston has the strictest fire codes in the country. Survivors were among the first humans to be treated with the new antibiotic, penicillin.

    Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 28, 2013 10:13:58 AM


  4. Several years ago I went to a gay disco in Rio near Alaska Place in Copacabana. It was jam packed with hot shirtless Brazilians. I was in heaven until I realized the only entrance/exit was down a narrow staircase. I got paranoid of just such a disaster. It took a while, but I finally left in a rare instance of good judgement on my part.

    After checking out the crowd, it is wise to check your escape routes, especially in countries (including own own) where safety concerns only arise after a tragedy

    Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Jan 28, 2013 11:57:53 AM


  5. I recall being in a big club in Cleveland years ago after a similar incident. I followed the fire exit signs, which led down a very long corridor, where the exit was locked shut with a huge metal bar. If there had been a fire there, hundreds would have died. Management told me that it was blocked so that people wouldn;t sneak in without paying the cover. I left, then called the fire department and told them what I had found. I never went back to that club.

    Posted by: TC | Jan 28, 2013 3:09:16 PM


  6. I can't understand why they allowed such stints inside the establishment. There also should have been standby firetrucks or other fire-suppressing equipment should there be problems with the show.

    Posted by: Carla Angell | Feb 1, 2013 10:57:30 PM


Post a comment







Trending


« «Adam Levine Persuaded to Lose Shirt in SNL Opener: VIDEO« «