Gay Marriage | Italy | News | Religion | Vatican

Italian PM Monti Now Saying No To Marriage Equality

6a00d8341c730253ef017c355f0c36970b-800wiOne has to assume Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti's pals at the Vatican weren't pleased with his previously laissez-faire approach to marriage equality, because the lawmaker, up for reelection, has changed his tune.

Monti surprised observers earlier this month by saying that marriage equality was up to the Parliament and only the Parliament. Now he's saying, "never mind:" families should only be one man, one woman and their offspring.

"My thought is that the family should be made up of one man and one woman, and I consider it necessary that children should grow up with a mother and a father," Monti said yesterday, according to Reuters, marking the first time he's brought up social issues during his bid to keep his post.

"Parliament can find other solutions for other kinds of unions and cohabitations."

Comments

1. Someone got a phone call from the Vatican and orders to fall in line

Posted by: Steve | Jan 17, 2013 2:26:36 PM

2. Look up what "laissez-faire" means, please.

Posted by: Ha! | Jan 17, 2013 2:41:05 PM

3. Even without the Vatican, I'd be shocked for anyone in a predominantly traditional Catholic country to be pro-gay anything. The loss of funding and votes would just be too risky.

I've also known a few gay Italians (through my family hosting exchange students when I was younger) and the necessity of a man + woman family unit actually makes sense to them. In other words, they care less about adoption rights and using the word "marriage." I know it's anecdotal but I found that viewpoint surprising, and it's rare among my U.S. friends. I wonder if that's a U.S. vs. Europe difference--does anyone have any insight to share?

Posted by: Stefan | Jan 17, 2013 2:44:49 PM

4. Makes me sad to be at least part Italian. I wonder how open minded Tuscany is anyways. I'm named for my great grandfather Alexander Gianetti.^_^ Of course picking my two moms that later adopted me when i was 13 knowing full well i would one day come out i created my own last name Fisher-Levesque based on my two mothers. Unfortunately they were forced to divorce when one of my mothers was falsely accused of a crime she never committed in a predominantly chrstian portuegese elementary school where she not only was a discrete yet married lesbian woman but also jewish and not a fan of Passion of the Christ, this new stain on her record the threat of My youngest brother being taken away as long as they remained married put a major strain on my parents marriage. so yeah hmmm anti semitism and homophobia hurt my two mothers marriage in a big way. Who's marriages need protecting again?

Posted by: alexander | Jan 17, 2013 2:53:25 PM

5. @Stefan
    Maybe US vs Southern Europe. But I doubt even Spanish gays are like that. The Catholic Church is a lot less influential in Spain. Italy is the really the only country they still rule.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 17, 2013 3:08:30 PM

6. Spain was one of the big catholic countries, and most people is still catholic, but there was a big changes in the last decades.
    There are a lot more atheist right now, and most catholics are not exactly roman. Most of them have their own opinions and disagree with hierarchy of the church.

I know a lot of people who are catholic, go to church every week and they are not homophobes and disagree with Vatican in a lot of things

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 17, 2013 3:45:00 PM

7. Ooops, looks like a politician threatened with hell (aka political obscurity) is still sufficient to show a lack of spine.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 17, 2013 3:52:24 PM

8. Spain was disabused of any fantasies people have about Catholic rule after the Franco regime collapsed. The Franco government was closely allied the church and put its decrees into law. As such many people have first-hand knowledge about the evil agenda of the Vatican.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 17, 2013 3:58:57 PM

9. God willing, Marriage Equality will come to every corner of this Earth.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 17, 2013 5:30:34 PM

10. Many Catholic countries have been disabused of their loyalty to a bunch of self admiring priests, so many of whom turned out to be either child abusers or astonishingly hypocritical about their "chastity".

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 17, 2013 5:55:51 PM

11. @Stefan: Have you checked out Portugal and Spain?

Posted by: andrew | Jan 17, 2013 6:31:05 PM

12. Monti is running for prime minister again, but he isn't personally up for election. He was named a senator for life in 2011 when they chose him as the interim premier. He'll have many years to advance bigotry from the comfort of the Palazzo Madama.

Posted by: Ben | Jan 17, 2013 6:32:08 PM

13. As a gay American living in Rome, I think it is fair to say that the gay rights movement here in Rome is several years behind where it is in the U.S., and the latest move to the right by Monti on gay rights is probably just a cheap attempt to hold together support from Catholic politicians and to chip away at a resurgent Berlusconi. It's worth noting, however, that Bersani, the leader of the PD, or Democratic Party, has previously spoken out in favor of gay marriage, and his party is currently farthest ahead in polls (low 30s), making him a more likely candidate for Prime Minister than Monti (whose own list is polling in the low teens, though he may prove to be the king-maker in the center).

Posted by: BSand | Jan 18, 2013 7:02:02 AM

14. @BSAND
    Bersani, the PD leader, has NOT spoken out in favor of gay marriage (aka marriage equality). He has spoken out in favor of some sort of civil unions.
    The PD itself has refused to even vote on resolutions supporting marriage equality.
    On the issue of civil unions, the PD has an extremely vague, unclear political position. Some members of the Party, like the PD chair Rosy Bindi -a devoted catholic very much against marriage equality ad equal adoption rights-, would prefer to legislate on this matter without creating a new type of legal union or contract and without distinctions between loving partners living together and relatives such as a grandpa and his grandchild living together; a "solution" she already proposed in 2007 as a Minister, backed by the whole Romano Prodi's Government, by filing the bill "DIritti e doveri delle persone stabilmente COnviventi ("Rights and duties of the persons in stable cohabitation"), commonly remembered as "DI.CO. bill"; other members of the Party talk about the possibility of a civil union scheme, maybe a French-style civil union scheme (commonly known as PaCS), or a UK-style civil union scheme, or a German-style civil union scheme, etc.

Posted by: Luke | Jan 18, 2013 10:10:34 AM

15. PS: a more accurate translation of "DIritti e doveri delle persone stabilmente COnviventi", the title of the 2007 bill commonly remembered as "DI.CO. bill", is "Rights and duties of the persons who cohabit in a stable manner".

Posted by: Luke | Jan 18, 2013 11:49:52 AM