Deaths | Jeanne Manford | News | PFLAG | Rachel Maddow

Rachel Maddow Eulogizes PFLAG Founder Jeanne Manford: VIDEO

PFLAGManford

Rachel Maddow ended her work week with a lengthy and well-deserved segment on the late Jeanne Manford, the woman who founded PFLAG during an era when most people were disowning their gay and lesbian children.

Manford was a pioneer in the LGBT rights movement, and one whose work helped make it possible for moms and dads to embrace their children with pride.

Watch Maddow's touching tribute AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Thank you for posting this. Made my day. May Ms. Manford rest in peace.

Posted by: bravo | Jan 12, 2013 10:39:48 AM

2. When I came out in 1977, my parents were having a tough time with it! (so was I !) I called PFLAG and a very nice woman there offered to call my folks and counsel them. She did, and my parents let me know they were contacted by a very kind woman and she calmed them down and gave them hope. As we always say when PFLAG goes by in the Pride Parade "We Love You!"

Posted by: Jim | Jan 12, 2013 10:49:01 AM

3. Again with the Chic-fil-A ads.
    Seriously?!?

Posted by: Lonewolfen | Jan 12, 2013 10:50:50 AM

4. I cam out in 1986... (goodness, that seems so long ago, I am 44 now, so I guess it was,) I have seen some of my closest friends disowned by family because they were gay so Pride has ALWAYS been very important to me. It NEVER fails to choke me up when PFLAG marches by and the screams from the crowd always gives me goosebumps. Thank you Jeanne for loving your son and loving all of us!!!

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jan 12, 2013 11:03:41 AM

5. Thank You Ms.Jeanne Manford

Posted by: Larry | Jan 12, 2013 11:17:06 AM

6. Morty was an utterly magnifient man and I miss him like Hell.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 12, 2013 11:32:47 AM

7. PFLAG - putting families back together.

Thank You, Jeanne Manford.

This work she started is going to live on, and on, and on. Lives will continue to be saved.

PFLAG is everyone's family. Enjoy your rest, Angel.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 12, 2013 12:59:25 PM

8. Special place in heaven for her.

Posted by: Reality | Jan 12, 2013 1:21:45 PM

9. Heaven is a myth and when you are dead you are not resting, you are dead. That said: Jeanne Manford deserves to be remembered by the living who are interested in Justice for generations to come.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 12, 2013 1:36:48 PM

10. WOW Rachael does it again, right there behind Jeanne Manford whom she has so honored for her hugely wonderful and heroic effect. One person making a difference! It continues to happen. Thank you Jeanne, Rachael and President Obama.

And thank you D Ehrenstein for your personal comment on Morty, I'm sure you're right and sorry for your loss.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 12, 2013 1:36:56 PM

11. My parents dissowned me many years after coming out when they moved to an exclusive retirement community and informed me that thier social advancement would be compromised if their neighbors knew they had a gay son.
    I wrote to dear Abby about it out of grief and the knowledge that my mother read the column every day. Although I recieved a call from Abby along with a hugh packet of letter sent in, (she said it was the largest volumne of mail she had ever recieved, and I treasure them now) I never reconciled with my father prior to his death and my relationship with my mother will never be the same.
    I have fortunaltly done well for myself and upon my death much will go to PFLAG.

Posted by: Mikey Dallas | Jan 12, 2013 1:48:35 PM

12. A remarkable woman. RIP Jeanne Manford.

Posted by: Adam | Jan 12, 2013 2:07:58 PM

13. Sorry to hear that Mikey. It's really hard to deal with parental rejection. But you've got to stand up for yourself no matter what. That's what life is all about.

Would that we all had parents like Jeanne Manford.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 12, 2013 4:08:40 PM

14. I know I'm stuck with IEancient, so I had to go to youtube:

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jan 12, 2013 7:54:51 PM

15. Wow something I never knew. I'm so happy to have learned this piece of information. ^_^ RIP Jeane Manford. I am so happy a woman like you existed when we really needed you. ^_^

Posted by: alexander | Jan 14, 2013 11:16:17 AM