Gay Marriage | Indiana | News

BigGayDeal.com

Indiana Lawmakers May Delay Vote on Constitutional Ban on Same-Sex Marriage Until After SCOTUS Ruling

It looks as though Indiana lawmakers will be delaying a vote on a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, the Evansville Courier Press reports:

IndianaThe Republican leaders of the Indiana House and Senate said Thursday that they’ll announce their plans to handle the proposed amendment next week. If it passes either this year or next, voters would get the final say through a November 2014 referendum.

Most of the members of the legislative committees that would cast the first votes on the measure – including Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Brent Steele, R-Bedford – told RTV6's reporting partner the Courier & Press they prefer to wait until the high court rules.

That’s largely because if lawmakers approved the amendment this year, they couldn’t tweak its language in 2014, even if the Supreme Court determines that all or portions of it are unconstitutional.

Watch an RTV report on the decision, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. ...and they don't want to look like idiots on the wrong side of history once we get a Federal law passed.

There's a huge brain drain in Indiana, despite having very good universities. Why? Because this state is extremely backward in many social and cultural aspects. People get their education here and then leave for more progressive, more open-minded places.

Posted by: johnny | Feb 1, 2013 3:04:50 PM

2. I read the headline as "until after SCOUTS ruling" and couldn't figure out how the Boy Scouts come down on homosexuals in their ranks could possibly affect Indiana's marriage laws.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 1, 2013 3:29:27 PM

3. @Jonathan- I came here to say the exact same thing. The SCOUTS and SCOTUS are confusing the hell out of me LOL.

Posted by: Richard Harney | Feb 1, 2013 3:34:47 PM

4. @Jonny: they don't care if they look like idiots as they are elected officials. Seriously, though, the ones who wanted a delay claimed that, if an new Supreme Court would make all or part of their amendment unconstitutional, they wouldn't be able to correct that unless they waited. They want to be on the wrong side of history - they simply don't want to have to try again, when it would be even harder due to changing public attitudes.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 1, 2013 6:01:35 PM

5. Hopefully we will get a Supreme Court ruling that makes this whole thing moot. But even if we don't, some of the early polls indicate we may have a shot at defeating it on election day.

Posted by: Ken | Feb 1, 2013 6:55:21 PM

6. such a surprise that republicans are dragging their knuckles on the ground and still trying to take this country backward.

Posted by: Reality | Feb 1, 2013 10:39:36 PM

7. @JOHNNY...you are right. I got the hell out of Indiana after I got my BA. I'm back, but I've retired and want to be near family now that I've earned my pension, etc. Interestingly, I believe I read an earlier article that 13 same sex couples were wed in Bloomington recently (one of the more progressive of our cities)and home of one of the fine universities you spoke of in your post.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Feb 2, 2013 8:45:17 AM