Argo Wins Best Picture; Full List of Academy Award Winners

Achievement in Visual Effects: Life of Pi
Achievement in Costume Design: Anna Karenina, Jacqueline Durran
Achievement in Makeup & Hairstyling: Les Misérables
Best Live-Action Short Film: Curfew
Best Documentary Short Subject: Inocente
Best Documentary Feature: Searching for a Sugar Man
Best Foreign-Language Film: Amour (Austria)
Achievement in Sound Mixing: Les Misérables
Achievement in Sound Editing: Zero Dark Thirty & Skyfall
Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Achievement in Film Editing: Argo
Achievement in Production Direction: Lincoln
Original Score: Life of Pi, Mychael Danna
Original Song: "Skyfall," Adele Adkins & Paul Epworth; Skyfall
Adapted Screenplay: Argo, Chris Terrio
Original Screenplay: Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino
Achievement in Directing: Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Best Motion Picture: Argo

Comments

1. says

I know he was thrilled, but jeez Ben Affleck, shorten your speeches. I’m surprised he didn’t thank his kindergarten teacher. Clooney didn’t even get a chance to talk.

2. Randy says

I didn’t see the whole show (only got halfway through so far). But I was disappointed with the Paperman win. It simply was not the best animated short (Head over Heels) and on top of that, it’s just too similar to the 2008 short Signs to be original. Apparently I’m supposed to be dazzled by the technology (nope) but there’s already an award for that.

While the Oscars are what they are, I’d like to see an awards show run by bitchy and foul-mouthed online critics, who can identify that whoever dressed Captain Kirk should have caused the whole Costume Design category to walk out in silent protest.

3. Chicago Sean says

Ok, that was the absolute gayest Oscars EVAH!! (Even gayer than the Tonys!) Which means it was super awesome!! The L.A. Gay Men’s Chorus? Catherine Zeta-Jones doing “All That Jazz?” (Just like Sidetracks on Showtune night!) Les Mis? Dreamgirls? The wonderful Adele drag queened out? Shirley Freakin’ Bassey? (GOLDFINGAH!!) Um hello? BABS!!! people!! (Gays were flying everywhere!!) The only thing to make the proceedings even more rainbow-flag-tinged would have been Liza doing “Cabaret” (or at least Sheena Easton doing “For Your Eyes Only” during the James Bond Tribute) Phew!! I am exhausted!!! Time turn on some vintage Cher and hit the sack. Goodnight (gay) America!!

PS love Seth McFarlane. Hottest (sort of Gay) Straight male celeb right now.

4. LongbyNight says

Affleck wins and Oscar. This whole industry has become so decadent. I’ve never understood the value of watching a bunch of millionaires high-five each other regurgitating the previous generation’s vomit.

5. unruly says

Clooney was not supposed to talk for the Argo win. The producers of the Oscars (and this has been the rule for a few years) want only one person representing the movie to speak. It was supposed to be solely Affleck. That was why Heslov explained why he was speaking (to thank Affleck) at all.

6. rise says

The gay men’s chorus was simply Hollywood throwing a few crumbs our way to make us feel as if we’re wanted. It’s insulting and patronizing.

By the way, I wonder how many self-loathing closet cases there are in the photo of the Argo team. Ben? George?

7. Rise says

The last time I felt this insulted and patronized as a gay man I was at my family reunion and they forced me to wear the dirtiest and most ill-fitting of all the white hoods.

8. jack says

Plus, Adele is a good singer and all, but Skyfall is just a terrible song. The lyrics are basically just the word Skyfall over and over and over.

And don’t get me started on Jennifer Hudson. Jesus, if volume only equated with talent. Sounded like some kind of screech owl. Muted the whole thing.

9. AJ says

Bleah. I thought it was horribly boring. Give me the Globes any day. Not one even sort-of surprise. Yuck! Now I’m all tired today because it went so late. WHen will I learn.

10. Stephen says

Kinda hope that people realize that Argo is a complete work of fiction, as its basically rewriting history to become yet another back patting movie for the USA in something they were minimally in. Hell even former President Jimmy Carter said that the movie was false and that 90% of what actually happened was Canadian. I’ll give it one chance though to be a good movie if a travesty to history.

11. anon says

I kept thinking up rhymes for “fall” so that “Skyfall” would have some actual lyrics. There are a lot. Essentially, the song is a piece of marketing to get people to remember the name of the film.

12. jamal49 says

Jack: I thought I was the only one who had to put the mute on when Jennifer Hudson started screeching her way through that song (the name of which I won’t mention because it was tired in the 80’s and it is still tired now).

13. Gary says

Kudos to Ben Patrick Johnson, for being the voice of “Grey Poupon” and Jimmy Kimmel’s movie. Ben’s voice overs are hard to miss. He’s the invisible Oscar star.