Comments

1. Howard says

My mother is rolling over in her grave! Sex was something dirty and nasty and should only be done if the purpose was to make a baby. Anything else was a horrible sin and shameful in the eyes of God.

You can imagine what she thought of gay people! It brought me a perverse joy when I informed her that her favorite child (me) was one of those wicked gay creatures. Unfortunately, she went to her grave thinking that I was condemed to Everlasting Fire. If there is a God I trust that she has been informed of the error of her ways. Although the older I get the less I believe there is anything other than what we can see and touch, but who knows for sure.

2. Caliban says

Uh-huh. Get behind me, Satan!

I think we all know what Mr West wants Satan to do once he’s there.

There is no way to be SO obsessed with gays and gay sex without it being really about yourself.

Well, except for greed. Gays are still a good scare tactic for the Religious Right, those SCARY people out there who you must send them $$$$$ to defeat!

3. johnny says

It’s fun to make up stuff. It’s even more fun to make up stuff that’s wrapped into a religious burrito of bizarre nonsense which gets some kind of emotional response.

Über-nut.

4. Tom in Long Beach says

Or perhaps the New Testament was using Heterosexual Marriage as a parable. Just like it used wheat, sheep, goats, pearls, coins, the story of a wayward child, water, and other things that were daily life in the first century. These people fight a modern understanding of sexuality like the Catholic Church fought the notion of a round Earth and, then the notion that the Earth revolves around the sun. It saw these as lies and heresy centuries ago.

5. tc in bk says

I just find it so funny that when these types of people talk about gay marriage, they just automatically think that once it starts, everyone is gonna go gay and there won’t be heterosexual marriage any longer. Is their sexuality that fluid? Because mine isn’t.

6. Stefan says

So…….heterosexual sex is what creates the union between Christ and the church? Then wouldn’t it make sense to just not have any marriage at all? Everyone knows that once straight people get married they actually have less sex than they possibly could be having. We really should have a church that promotes sex so often that whenever a guy even thinks of jerking off he can instead have ready access to lady parts.

I guess the most divine thing would be to just have big sex orgies right there in church, all day, every day. Huh, maybe the pagans had it right after all!

7. Jack M says

So heterosexual people who do not marry the opposite sex but live a single, celibate life of their own free will are not going to be in communion with Christ?

8. Jacques says

What tortured logic these people develop for no good purpose other than to make themselves feel superior to those they can’t understand. Jesus wept.

9. says

Hmmmm, “On knees for Jesus”.

“Ephesians 5 is followed by Ephesians 6″; There is an inexorable logic to what he says, whatever it actually means.

As for freedom from the compulsion to indulge,that he talks about, I remember feeling that once, at a midnight meeting of “Leprechauns For Jesus”……..
    I was definitely free of the compulsion to indulge for Jesus.
    That was before I met my Cop Boyfriend pictured in today’s Kenneth in 212.

10. anon says

The theory that guys worried everyone’s going to go gay are themselves bi seems to have some evidence backing it up. Why else would they think that?

11. Bill says

Too bad this “Christian” preacher/author/whatever hasn’t been given “freedom from the compulsion to indulge” in his obviously unhealthy obsessions with the lives of others. He’s almost like the Stasi guy in Das Leben der Anderen who ends up finding that the lives of the “subversives” he is supposed to monitor are so much more interesting than his own.

12. UFFDA says

Some say that because the Holy Hocum crowd comment so much on gay sex they must be obsessed with it. Likewise about religion for all of us who keep bothering to comment on the pin heads who preach “the Gospel”.

Yet I have to say “mea culpa” because it is so miserable witnessing people so defile the joy of consciousness.

13. We are Here says

Essentially, Christopher West has turned Christianity into a sex cult, where salvation is contingent on either being born heterosexual, or on putting a penis in a vagina.

This sex as salvation theology is actually what Paul criticizes in Romans 1, and the same thing that various OT passages that rebuke religious prostitution condemn.

He rejects Christ as the means of salvation, rejects the death and resurrection of Christ, rejects ‘justified by grace through faith’ –

simply so he can pretend that he is superior to homosexuals.

14. matt says

West is an author/motivational speaker, whose whole gig is making John Paul II’s series of lectures on “The Theology of the Body” accessible to a wider audience of “regular” people. So this is all very Catholic.
    I’m surprised they had him on CBN, which isn’t fond of Catholics at all. Notice how they intro him as a “Christian” and how he doesn’t mention that he’s Catholic and that the content all comes straight from a pope. He knows his audience and so does CBN, hence the hush hush on the Catholicism.

15. Geoff says

Have never, don’t now, will never believe in Satan. Pure ooga-booga. Good without God, too – at least I try.

16. billy Wingartenson says

CBN – thats Pat Robertson who said of the terrible earthquate in Haiti – “they deserved it”

Welcum to right wing xtianity where the rectum is misplaced and empties into the brain cavity.

17. John says

I clicked on this because of the “mysterious whispers” reference. Like your average link on Yahoo! “News”, it was quite misleading.

I think the guy is full of crap, but you do a disservice by making stuff up. He was soft spoken, not speaking in “mysterious whispers”. There were plenty of adjectives that you could have used to describe him or what he had to say.

Not that I at all agree with what he said, but I would rather listen to someone preach in that tone, than listen to shouters like Rush Limbaugh or preacher Earnest Angley.

18. Vitaly says

Christ represents the Übermensch; he who overcomes himself. What this means is that a Christian – in the true sense rather than in name only – is ABLE to fulfill Christ’s precepts. Such a Christian attains this by being master of himself. Hence the concept of sin; sin is everything that is unnecessary. Bodily appetites which hinder self-mastery must be constantly denied.

The libertarian homosexual can therefore never be a Christian. The homosexual identifies with his physical desires; he even glorifies his human weakness, corruption and disease. The Christian seeks to transcend humanity and reach a higher state of being.

Christianity requires moral absolutes and therefore sin, sin for the utopian liberal
    is chastity, strength, truth and beauty.

19. Bernie says

and how can I french kiss this brainless brain trust for explaining why I am gay……I actually think this is the dumbest theory I have heard……..these folks dig their own hole with their assinine theories……….

20. Eddie says

These type of Christians only view gay people in sexual terms. I tried to explain to a woman I work with that being gay is so much more than a sex act. It is who I am. My being. 360 degrees. She did not believe me.

21. Caliban says

I stopped trying to explain myself to straight people a long time ago, Eddie. There are gay people, always have been, always will be. Get over it.

Don’t elevate them by trying to, or feeling you need to, justify yourself to them.

22. Gayel says

Well, I would say there are plenty of gay guys who could argue that two men fit together quite well! lol

23. billmiller says

I believe the republican’ts and the liberty forum invented gay marriage as a wedge issue…oh right, that would be satan wouldn’t it? I guess one cannot be Gay and Christ-like.

24. Martin says

Oh silly silly Christians. You all are the ones that neehealing believing in your jumbo jumbo fairy tale stories about magical beings.

25. Kevin says

There are so many ways I could debate this man’s theses & themes, but here’s one, built on the very imagery and concepts of orthodox Christianity: If, as Mr. West posits, the male/female physical union is the sole illustration (“story” as he says) of union with Christ, why is the whole church– male and female– considered “the bride of Christ”? That very “story”/”picture” is of a union. A marriage. A union of Jesus– who is a male– with all members of the church– some of whom are male. That story is a “union” — the most intimate– of male and male, illustrating physical union and emotional intimacy between the male Jesus and male Christians. To me, this is one of the main Scriptural counterpoints which crumbles Mr. West’s theory and message.

26. jamal49 says

@GAYEL Double yup!

Yes, Mr. West, sexually speaking, two men fit together very, very well. Try it some time. You’d be surprised. Or, then again, maybe not.

I digress.

27. GB says

Too bad Satan wasn’t really behind it, but he’s too booked up. That won’t prevent some marriages from being a living hell.

28. Miles says

Religion: the thing that tells you there’s a really loving God that will kill you in horrific manners…brutally and senselessly torture you…if you don’t worship his every move. Gotta love that brain washing.