David Burtka | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Oscars

Gay Power Couple Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka Demonstrate What Hollywood Glamour is All About: PHOTO

Nph_db

And you can't not love them for it.

Another photo, of Anderson Cooper and partner Ben Maisani, AFTER THE JUMP...

Outtakes from a Vanity Fair Oscar-Party Photo Booth over the years.

Anderson_ben

Comments

1. Adorbs.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Feb 22, 2013 11:54:50 AM

2. I'm confused. I thought Anderson Cooper ditched Ben Maisani after he was photographed making out with some other guy in Central Park late last year?

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 22, 2013 12:28:36 PM

3. why would he ditch him simply because the public found out about an openly-sexual element to their relationship?

cute pics!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 22, 2013 12:34:48 PM

4. The press doesn't understand how to deal with open relationships, so it was widely speculated that Anderson must have dumped Ben. Never happened.

Posted by: Dan E | Feb 22, 2013 1:09:17 PM

5. Ben if you get fed up with Anderson -- call me!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 22, 2013 1:24:17 PM

6. I'm for one I'm tired of gay men and their open relationship... That is an oxymoron. I'm sorry a roomate with benefit is not something I want. Not to mension STDs and the emotional mess i've seen couse by it. someone is always more into this idea then the other. and it always end up a mess. And how do u know they had one?

Posted by: Art | Feb 22, 2013 1:28:10 PM

7. Glad Art's here to tell us all how to live our lives. I'm certainly relieved to know that my relationship MUST conform to the specifications he's laid out.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 22, 2013 1:34:02 PM

8. These guys are all so adorable they're just what the world needs. We all take too many things too seriously and gay male couples feel like a perfect antidote to me.

Glad to see Anderson and Ben together, plus fun
    to see Neal and Dave learning from their kids.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 22, 2013 1:35:11 PM

9. @Art
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Posted by: Rich | Feb 22, 2013 1:38:10 PM

10. Art, kindly don't blame your inability to get a man on the "morality" of those of us with different approaches to life and relationships than you.

some reading for you.

why are you tired of gay men and their open relationships? because they find something that works for them and you've not been able to? that's not their/our fault.

sorry sugarpie.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 22, 2013 1:38:12 PM

11. Play the tune: "Ehrenstein likes Anderson, Ehrenstein like Anderson, ah uh ah ah uh uh."

Hey I thought you were already married.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 22, 2013 2:00:13 PM

12. Art: I know they have one because I've known Ben for over a decade.

Posted by: Dan E | Feb 22, 2013 2:09:34 PM

13. I think it's ok to challenge somebody like Art but to completely dismiss him is something else.

This is purely anecdotal, but I have lived and socialized with folks in large and small cities and have met many men in open relationships. Some of them were deluded about themselves, but most of them were pretty adjusted decent guys. However, none of them is still together many years later. Two guys who I really adored had been in an open relationship for about 5 years before I knew them, and they had invited me to play with them. They were both so cool with one another and a lot of fun. A month or so later one of them called me on his own (which was against their rules) and asked if I wanted to get together without the other knowing. When I last talked to the one (about 4 years later) he said that they had just broken up.

I've concluded an open relationship isn't appropriate for me and my spouse and it isn't my concern how people want to define their relationships, but I think an open conversation is important if not only to help those who pursue open relationships avoid the pitfalls that seem to commonly arise.

Of course, YMMV.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 22, 2013 2:46:17 PM

14. Just curious, why do Neil and David wear their rings on their right hands?

Posted by: Jon | Feb 22, 2013 2:52:40 PM

15. to be fair, Rey, it's not about being "open" - it's about being honest.

two people can want an open relationship, and yet for very different reasons. those distinctions make all the difference.

same with monogamy, actually. two guys who are monogamous because they both suffer from jealousy and possessiveness issues? that aint healthy, either.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 22, 2013 2:55:27 PM

16. @Rey:

Heavens knows that open relationships do sometimes fail. So, of course, do your standard, monogamous relationship. Tell me: when a monogamous relationship fails, do you say "it must be because they were monogamous?"

I've seen open relationships fail and succeed. I've seen monogamous relationships fails and succeed.

Posted by: Dan E | Feb 22, 2013 2:55:42 PM

17. ART: Like you, I have no interest in an open relationship, but that doesn't mean that it can't or doesn't work for other people. You're assuming that the worst elements of failed relationships are inherently present in open relationships, but that is just as false as assuming that all monogamous couples are jealous and possessive.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Feb 22, 2013 3:11:38 PM

18. The divorce rate for so-called monogamous, straight marriages is around 50%. Something's not working. Open relationships (straight and gay) are more practical for some. They can work. Makes real sense.

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 22, 2013 3:12:45 PM

19. Decent questions and more of them should be brought up on both sides without either feeling defensive or needing to justify their own decisions.

My own spouse and I have communicated from day one and both agreed that we'd reevaluate at least every year whether or not we wanted to open it up. Almost 20 years later we still bring it up but have decided it's not worth it to us. Interesting and fun to fantasize about, but I don't think the reality would match up based on my experiences with more-than-one encounters in my single life.

It is likely much like Dan Savage has alluded to in that people in open relationships may not tell others (who they aren't interested in bringing into their sex life) so people automatically think that any successful relationship is monogamous. If they're still together in 10 or 20 years, that will be helpful anecdotal information too. I just can't resolve in my own head why I don't know just one couple who is still in an open relationship. It's not a judgment - just a genuine curiosity.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 22, 2013 3:13:31 PM

20. Rey - as far as anecdotal experiences go, i can try to answer your question of genuine curiosity.

you don't know one couple that is still in an open relationship. ok.
    i know several. very well. and they've been going for a long time.

why do i know so many and you don't know any? i think the answer to that is the circles we associate with.

that's why you don't know any.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 22, 2013 3:23:23 PM

21. Yep, Little Kiwi - that does make a bit of sense. We were definitely younger when we were out in the bars and meeting more guys in open relationships. And perhaps it's a "which came first?" scenario. When those around us were more commonly in open relationships and we saw and experienced the break-ups and back-togethers and such, we may have just gravitated away from all of that sub-consciously. It may well have been too that we've spent our time in L.A. all of this time and honesty - in an open or monogamous relationship or in life itself - may just be a little harder to come by.

There was one couple in particular that my spouse (bf at the time) and I spoke of emulating somewhat because we thought their open relationship was very natural (and hot) for them but after they fell out, it tamped down that desire for us. We thought of anybody, they'd be able to do it.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 22, 2013 3:54:42 PM

22. no offense, Rey, but that's as asinine as saying "well, if halle berry gets cheated on then there's no hope for any other women in the whole world."

here's what i meant, that i don't think you understood, when i talked about the circles we associate with: my circles don't care what others think nor do we tend to care what others are doing.

from what you've been writing it seems your spheres of social life consist of people who can't, or won't, make decisions for themselves unless someone else makes the decision first and then meets *your* version of success with it.

and just because a couple stays together a long time, or never breaks up, doesn't mean that relationship is a success.

some people "settle", and some people cling onto nothing because holding hard to nothing tricks them into thinking they're holding onto something.

when a couple "breaks up" it doesn't mean the relationship failed, or even really "ended". just changed.

i'd never not enter into a form of relationship because of "other people's experience and successes with that type of relationship" - that's the difference between our social circles, Rey.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 22, 2013 4:12:24 PM

23. Thanks for the "no offense" bitchy response, Little Kiwi. I had hoped for actual sharing of ideas instead of judgment, but hey - I've gotten it from much better.

Posted by: Rey | Feb 22, 2013 4:16:42 PM

24. I think there's something that everyone speculating about the Anderson/Ben picture is overlooking:

That is NOT a recent picture.

This photo was snapped at the **2012** Vanity Fair Oscar Party. The photos of Ben with another guy were taken several months AFTER this photo was taken. So... that possibly puts a different spin on things.

Posted by: scooternva | Feb 22, 2013 4:50:51 PM