Colorado | Denver | Gay Marriage | News

'Denver Post' Surveys Readers on Decision to Run Photo of Gay House Speaker Kissing Partner After Civil Union Bill Passage

Kiss_ferrandino

The Denver Post is polling its readers about running the above photo by their photographer Craig Walker of House Speaker Mark Ferrandino kissing his partner Greg Wertsch after passage of the civil unions bill in Colorado.

But getting even more commentary than the poll is the headline they originally accompanied the survey with, which now reads:

"Picture of Mark Ferrandino kissing partner shows the truth, even if it offends some"

Here's how the questionnaire was originally positioned:

Update 3:28 p.m.: After reading the comments, I’m altering the headline from “no matter how objectionable,” to “even if it offends some.” I’ve certainly dealt with some callers who are upset with the use of the photo, but my intent was not to label the photo (or the act) objectionable. As I’ve often said, everyone needs an editor, and I appreciate the comments. — Lin

Kudos to the Director of Newsroom Ops for changing it. Folks will also be happy to know that the comments are overwhelmingly in support of the photo, the couple, and pro-equality.

Comments

1. Is that a little goat on his desk?

Posted by: TS | Mar 14, 2013 10:52:19 AM

2. D'aw, I don't think I'll ever get how a picture like that could be offensive.

Posted by: lessthan | Mar 14, 2013 10:53:28 AM

3. PDA, gay or straight, is in no way inherently offensive. that one would be "offended" by it means one thing and one thing only - they need to be exposed to A LOT MORE gay PDA.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 14, 2013 10:54:59 AM

4. 'Phobes are reacting like they're naked and f*cking on the desk.

Always goes right to sex for them, every time.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 14, 2013 11:03:06 AM

5. I don't think Denver Post was calling the photo offensive, but they never should have attempted to justify the photo at all. That's a defensive action. They did the right thing by printing it and if people don't like it, they can take a hike.

Denver is a quite the pro-gay city so I'm not surprised the response has been positive.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 14, 2013 11:03:26 AM

6. they should have just captioned the picture Speaker Ferrandino and partner without the offends some tag

Just seems as if they were trying to get negative feedback

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Mar 14, 2013 11:24:44 AM

7. People need to see pics like this so they can get over it.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 14, 2013 11:34:43 AM

8. Is "objectionable" supposed to be an improvement over "offends some [bigots]"?

Posted by: Randy | Mar 14, 2013 1:20:35 PM

9. Two men kissing, oh the horror!

Posted by: Oh Please | Mar 14, 2013 2:42:54 PM

10. It's all good!
    Sure, the first photo of them kissing will stir up something, but I certainly remember when a photo of a Black man kissing a White woman would have gotten the newspaper office burned down in many States.

Posted by: Bob | Mar 14, 2013 6:36:23 PM

11. Here's what really p*sses me off about things like this. You don't actually GET a vote about reality! No matter how you "feel" about it, whether you like it or not, gay people exist and always have. That's just reality and at some point you have to deal with it. That's just reality, all your religion-based horse-cr*p aside.

At best all you can say is "I want to pretend it doesn't exist, even though I know it does."

Welcome to reality, Princess. It doesn't work that way.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 14, 2013 7:29:02 PM