Joy Behar | News | The View

BigGayDeal.com

Joy Behar Leaving 'The View' After 16 Years

Joy Behar is leaving The View, reports the Hollywood Reporter:

Behar"Joy Behar has been instrumental in the success of The View from the very beginning," read a statement from ABC. "We wish her all the best in this next chapter, and are thrilled that we have her for the remainder of the season."

...Behar and Walters had seats at The View table with Meredith Vieira, Star Jones and Debbie Matenopoulos when the show premiered in 1997. Tweaks to the lineup along the way, most notably the firing of Jones and Rosie O'Donnell's controversial two-year stint as moderator, led to a current panel that includes Sherri Shepherd, Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Whoopi Goldberg.

Said Behar to Deadline: “It seemed like the right time. You reach a point when you say to yourself, ‘Do I want to keep doing this?’ There are other things on my plate I want to do — I’ve been writing a play, I’ve been neglecting my standup.”

Comments

1. What is 'The View'?

Posted by: Kris | Mar 7, 2013 9:05:12 PM

2. For better or for worse, it's been a good run. I hope she stops off in Texas when she hits the road again.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 7, 2013 9:05:33 PM

3. She'll be missed.

Posted by: Alan | Mar 7, 2013 9:11:36 PM

4. There are days where I feel as if Joy Behar is the only sane person in America. She's been invaluable on "The View," and I too will miss her terribly. (However, now they can hire Ali Wentworth!)

Posted by: Dback | Mar 7, 2013 9:20:26 PM

5. Once she leaves, there will be no more reason to watch that show. The rest of them are complete dunces. That homophobic pig Sherri should leave too.

Posted by: Diana | Mar 7, 2013 9:27:17 PM

6. Neglecting standup? That's like missing desperation.

Posted by: LJC | Mar 7, 2013 9:47:30 PM

7. The Hollywood Reporter needs an editor: Rosie O'Donnell was only on the show for one year. One dreadful year.

And I agree with the other comments here, Joy was the only remaining reason to watch the show. She is sharp, quick, and progressive. Swoon.

Posted by: Lars | Mar 7, 2013 9:55:02 PM

8. My favorite episode from "The View" is where they're all sitting in chairs and clucking like chickens. Then Star Jones lays an egg. Oh wait. That was a cutaway gag from "Family Guy."

Posted by: KZ | Mar 7, 2013 9:56:11 PM

9. The View has been on SIXTEEN YEARS? Gawd do I feel old.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 7, 2013 10:21:01 PM

10. So what, Who Cares

Posted by: Fred A | Mar 7, 2013 10:36:12 PM

11. I'm glad she's leaving. She always butts in with an unfunny joke. She can be very annoying. But I wish her well.

Posted by: Billy | Mar 7, 2013 10:39:20 PM

12. @Fred, I'll wager about a million more people care when SHE leaves than when YOU do.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 7, 2013 10:46:50 PM

13. How she survived this long working with that shrieking right-wing nut Elisabeth Hasselbeck is beyond me. Like many have stated, Joy was the only reason to tune in, beyond that, with Whoopi supporting child rapists in the name of "art", Sherri representing the summit of ignorance and assertive obtuseness, American women have never been more misrepresented than on that show.

Hope Joy lands something worthy of her quick wit, and quirky awesome character.

Posted by: Maguitac | Mar 7, 2013 10:51:13 PM

14. First they lose Rosie and now Joy (yet they keep Hasselback). Maybe they should change the name of The View to The Who?

Posted by: Jase | Mar 7, 2013 11:36:36 PM

15. I won't be watching the view after Joy leaves - She is amazing and holds the show together - Elizabeth is insuferable - Why don't they just Fire her - What an IDIOT BILL

Posted by: Bill From Tribeca | Mar 8, 2013 1:16:37 AM

16. I'll miss her, she is the only talking head on the show I can tolerate. To a lesser extent I can tolerate Whoopi, the others aren't even close.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Mar 8, 2013 1:49:09 AM

17. She was the best thing about the show. The daytime world will be a poorer place for her absence.

She is a fierce gay ally and has used her platforms on our behalf before it was fashionable.

Posted by: Polyboy | Mar 8, 2013 2:29:45 AM

18. @JJ Google: "Joy Behar so what, who cares"... Fred made a funny.

Posted by: Marco | Mar 8, 2013 3:12:34 AM

19. Sounds like she was fired from the job. But whatever, I really hate Walter's gut anyway.

Posted by: jeremyrain | Mar 8, 2013 3:50:44 AM

20. I can't believe she's 70 f*cking years old!

Posted by: Marco | Mar 8, 2013 5:12:16 AM

21. As others have said, when Joy leaves the show, there will be no reason to watch. Barbara is an old biddy, Sherri and Elizabeth are right-wing idiots, and even Whoopi has gotten bland. Joy will do fine on her own.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 8, 2013 7:50:12 AM

22. Joy's the best. And she looks frickin' amazing for 70. Good lord.

Posted by: Billy | Mar 8, 2013 10:19:42 AM

23. Hey JJ, "So What, Who Cares", is one of Joy's tag lines.
    Good one Fred A.

Posted by: Edd | Mar 8, 2013 10:20:57 AM

24. "The View" will certainly be much poorer without Joy Behar's hilarious, progressive insight.

Yeah, she's a standup comic-- with a master's degree and one of the sharpest minds in TV. Best of luck, Joy.

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Mar 8, 2013 10:57:43 AM

25. It's unlikely she was fired as she actually does have a lot on her plate and "The View" was taking a big chunk out of the middle of her day. Watch for an announcement (coming soon) that Behar will be headlining CNN's first late night comedy/talk show. It's going to happen.

Posted by: ThomT | Mar 8, 2013 11:17:49 AM