Film | News | Star Trek

'Star Trek' Teaser Goes Further into Darkness: VIDEO

Trek

Attention Trekkies, there's a second teaser out for JJ Abrams next installment, Star Trek Into Darkness.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I need to see this NOW

Posted by: RONTEX | Mar 9, 2013 6:46:46 PM

2. I just got a boner!!

Posted by: Edd | Mar 9, 2013 9:55:47 PM

3. Not really a Trekking, but I do love this!

Posted by: John P. | Mar 9, 2013 10:58:50 PM

4. Not really a Trekking, but I do love this!

Posted by: John P. | Mar 9, 2013 10:58:50 PM

5. Not really a Trekking, but I do love this!

Posted by: John P. | Mar 9, 2013 10:58:52 PM

6. The trailer made it look like another boring, predictable CGI exercise.

It wasn't even original: a couple of scenes were ripoffs of early Star Wars films - saucer-shaped space ship going sideways through narrow passages. We know they won't crash and burn - that would put an end to the story.

It's no surprise - the original Star Trek TV program got the transporter effects from Forbidden Planet, where they stood on pads with some light effects hiding them as they supposedly dropped below the speed of light. Same or very similar graphic, different interpretation.

Curiously, the transporter in Star Trek was there for technical reasons - they needed to show people moving between a space ship and a planet's surface visually (with chatting kids etc., you can't count on people hearing the dialog), and showing a shuttle craft would have required far more effort, plus screen time, than simply having someone stand in place while throwing in the "transporter" lighting effect with a buzzing sound in the background.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 9, 2013 11:06:16 PM

7. Thank you Buzzkill Bill.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Mar 9, 2013 11:18:56 PM

8. @ANGELACHANNING, ROFL! My thoughts exactly!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Mar 10, 2013 12:38:46 AM

9. I cannot deny it. This pitches my geek tent.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 10, 2013 12:48:38 AM

10. Bill - have you never heard the word 'homage?'

Posted by: Brian | Mar 10, 2013 12:49:22 AM

11. Chris Pine gives me wood.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 10, 2013 8:13:21 AM

12. Pine, Quinto & Cumberbatch = a tenting trifecta

Posted by: slippy | Mar 10, 2013 10:54:45 AM

13. @Brian: In this case, "homage" appears to be spin for "laziness" or "why take a chance when we can copy something we know works OK?"

A real example of "homage" might be a line in Rear Window where someone says something like, "the dog knew too much", referring to the film, "The man who knew too much." Or a scene in Don Giovanni where some musicians are brought in and play some music from one of Mozart's other operas for Don Giovanni's entertainment. Or maybe ET where the space guy sees a kid in a Yoda Halloween costume and wants to talk to him, knowing who Yoda is and figuring that Yoda can provide some help.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 10, 2013 3:08:26 PM

14. can't wait

& definitely NOT enough Zachary Quinto/ Spock scenes in that trailer

Kirk is the captain/star but Kirk isn't kirk without Spock

Posted by: Moz's | Mar 10, 2013 4:31:07 PM

15. @AngelaChanning @AriesMatt : some of us are more impressed if the actors can actually act! The trailer doesn't show that and if anything gives the impression that acting skills were not required to make this movie.

That isn't a criticism of the particular actors in the film - it's a criticism of the trailer. Usually when I see one of these trailers, my first reaction is, "Why would I want to sit through an hour and a half or more of this?" The trailers (this is not the only offender by a long shot) give the impression that the movies are non-stop CGI "action" sequences, and that makes boring films.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 10, 2013 8:33:14 PM

16. Alas reboots cause me to go to my internet before going to the theater. I think it was Fernando (SNL) that said it's better to look good than to feel good. Trailer is exciting in and of itself.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Mar 11, 2013 8:10:48 AM