Gay Marriage | News | Willie Nelson

Willie Nelson is High on Marriage Equality: PHOTO

Willie_nelson

Singer Willie Nelson, a longtimte supporter of marriage equality, who has covered and written (one for Brokeback Mountain) songs about gay cowboys, shows off his support for both marriage equality and marijuana in this take on the viral marriage equality meme.

Said Nelson to Texas Monthly:

"For same-sex couples, taxes are different, benefits are different, survivor benefits are different. It's crazy...I've known straight and gay people all my life...I can't tell the difference. People are people where I came from..It's about human rights. As humanity, we've come through so many problems from the beginning to here. I guess it finally had to come around to this. This is just another situation, another problem. We'll work it out and move on. We'll look back and say it was crazy that we ever even argued about this...I never thought of  marriage as something only for men and women. But I'd never marry a guy I didn't like."

Read the full interview here.

Comments

1. "Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond of Each Other" is a Ned Sublette song. Willie did cover it, but in the interest of fact, I thought I'd point it out.

Posted by: Shaun | Mar 28, 2013 2:52:53 PM

2. Indeed, I was just going to post the same thing Shaun did. It's to Willie's credit that he covered it, of course -- but it's worth noting that it's also previously been covered by Pansy Division and a Canadian alt-country band called The Lost Dakotas.

Posted by: Craig S | Mar 28, 2013 3:01:31 PM

3. He's an American treasure. Long live Willie!

Posted by: IAN F | Mar 28, 2013 3:12:38 PM

4. Such a sweetheart.

Posted by: Jersey | Mar 28, 2013 3:27:00 PM

5. I swear I am not trying to be rude...but I thought those were 2 tampons at first...

Posted by: Kerry | Mar 28, 2013 3:28:53 PM

6. I actually love it when country stars talk about marriage equality. They genuinely sound smarter about it than most--Willie, Dolly and even Toby Keith, who is otherwise an idiot. I'm sure others will point out counter examples, though.

Posted by: jd | Mar 28, 2013 3:34:13 PM

7. Luv ya, Willie.

So many memories of so much great, truly original, soulful music you gifted our generation (and subsequent ones) with.

And always being your own man, regardless of how at-odds your views and behavior and lifestyle might have been with the prevailing culture of the industry you were a part of.

Just a really cool guy, all the way around.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 28, 2013 3:44:34 PM

8. Love ya Willie!

Posted by: greenfuzz | Mar 28, 2013 3:56:30 PM

9. Amen to what Rick wrote.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 28, 2013 4:30:13 PM

10. http://mashable.com/2013/03/28/facebook-pics-marriage-equality/

Posted by: Chris Rico | Mar 28, 2013 5:38:46 PM

11. If there is a marijuana-culture equivalent to a toast, I would like to offer one in honor of Willie!

Posted by: Jack | Mar 28, 2013 7:57:44 PM

12. This story made me cry just a little.

Posted by: Tom | Mar 28, 2013 9:36:44 PM

13. Could Willie Nelson get any more awesome?

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 28, 2013 11:11:33 PM

14. Cool picture, on several levels. I like how it resembles both an equal sign, as well as pink, fleshy appendages

Posted by: dh | Mar 29, 2013 12:21:46 AM

15. @jd: "even Toby Keith, who is otherwise an idiot"

As a country music fan, I hated Toby Keith because of his virulently xenophobic songs. When he came out as a supporter of lesbian/gay rights, I was shocked. It was a good lesson for me, as I had pre-judged him. I still can't stand his music...but, I no longer feel obligated to change the station when his songs come on.

Posted by: alex | Mar 29, 2013 4:17:45 AM

16. yay, Willie! i wish you'd record my marriage equality song...i think you'll like it :)

34,000 youtube views, positive comments from all over the world...publishing open :)

Sherri Gray
    (now known as the 72 y/o grandmother who wrote marriage equality song)

Posted by: Sherri Gray | Jun 25, 2013 11:06:59 AM