Anti-Gay Pastor To Lead National Day Of Prayer

Anti-gay California Pastor Greg Laurie, who in the past, has stated that "homosexuality is not in God’s order" and a sin, will lead this year's National Day of Prayer in Washington, DC. According to the Human Rights Campaign, "Laurie will be in Washington DC next week to lead events at the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill as part of the 2013 National Day of Prayer."

Greg_laurieLaurie's church, Harvest Ministries, has published their anti-gay views on their website:

"We believe that homosexuality is a result of sin's widespread effects on the world. Homosexuality is a sin of behavior; therefore, people are not born into a homosexual or a lesbian lifestyle. We believe that the redemption for this sin, as for all sin, is only possible through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ."

The HRC claims that “Pastor Laurie’s message is out of step with what the majority of people of faith across this country believe.”

OutServe-SLDN has called for Laurie's invitation to lead the event be revoked:

"Mr. Laurie represents the worst
our nation's communities of faith have to offer when it comes to
fairness, justice, and equality. His hurtful, out-of-the-mainstream
rhetoric stands at direct odds with the mission the Commander-in-Chief
and the Secretary of Defense have laid out…we call upon the Department
of Defense to rescind their invitation to Pastor Laurie and invite in
his place a faith leader who can speak with integrity and respect to the
needs and concerns of all of our nation’s courageous service members.”

The National Day of Prayer will take place on Thursday, May, 2, 2013.

Comments

1. nick says

…..And the nation waits breathlessly when they choose a rabbi or imam to lead the silly national day of prayer…. oh wait -that is not going to happen in Umerica.

Isn’t every day a National Day of Prayer as we have to hear about god or Jesus every single day from the Klown Kar occupants in Congress every day whether we want to or not…..

2. Dastius Krazitauc says

The National Day of Prayer will take place on Thursday, May, 2, 2013.

And May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 3 is Lumpy Rug Day.

But since this is supposedly a true *national* day, endorsed by Congress and the President, then the task force that organizes it MUST consist of people of different religions and beliefs, not exclusively made up of Evangelical conservative Christians.

3. N Brown says

The Dobsons own the Day of Prayer, which makes it no less an outrage that someone should be picked who so clearly does NOT stand for all Christians, but only the right wing. As a Christian and an Episcopalian, I’m as insulted as the LGBT community. This is not a “national day” – it is a sectarian attempt at dominating the conversation.

4. Mike Ryan says

Gotta agree – there is NO reason to have a National Day of Prayer in America. America was not founded on religion but on democracy and the Government should not be in the business of sponsoring, promoting or advertising a “National Day of Prayer”. This country has been taken over by religious fanatics and I’m not talking about militant Muslims – I’m talking about militant right-wing bigoted Christians.

5. jb says

Its okay everyone. Calm down. Let them do their thing. Not sure how this is sponsored by the government. If government figures show up its by their own choice.

6. J. Leo says

“We believe that homosexuality is a result of sin’s widespread effects on the world. Homosexuality is a sin of behavior; therefore, people are not born into a homosexual or a lesbian lifestyle.”

And as we know, their belief, as in all belief, has no basis in or bearing on reality.

7. excy says

Just curious. What is the purpose of a National Day of Prayer? Do your president/vice-president and members of government attend? What do they pray about?
    It sounds, to me, like a patriotic, self-congratulatory exercise….that could be construed as blurring the lines on the separation of church and state.
    In any case, this Christian pastor seems like bad news. Epic fail.

8. Dastius Krazitauc says

This National Day of Prayer seems like it could have been set up as a political trap, as in, any politician who doesn’t vote for it, or any president who doesn’t give the annual proclamation would then be attacked by their next political opponent as being “anti-God”.

9. woodroad34d says

Well, your beliefs are wrong and you’re committing the sin of pride. Go and pray….your prayers are hallow and meaningless. You and your ilk are worms pretending to be humans–you eat and sh*t dirt and leave a slimy trail; and y’all will drown in redemptive rain.

10. says

Dear Pastor Greg Laurie,
    I really don’t know where you get your notions.
    I love homosexuals and I prefer to call them “gays”.
    Please take your ‘crazy’ somewhere else, we’re all stocked up here.
    And in the name of my name, stop speaking for me !
    Signed:
    God.

11. says

Huh ?
    “…not born into a homosexual lifestyle”.

What the hell does that mean ?
    We are born to a mother…..you can do all you can to raise us as straight, you can send us for scam treatment, (which you do because YOU are ashamed of us, we are not,) you can have a thousand days of prayer to make us, in your terms, acceptable, you can do all these things to us…..

But we have always existed, we will always exist, now we will no longer be silent, we will demand every single right of equality……and we will never lie down again under your oppression, whether from the bigoted religions or the demented right wing.

12. JONES says

“We believe that homosexuality is a result of sin’s widespread effects on the world.”

No. Religious based bigotry is the world’s greatest sin.

Doing harm while claiming to be righteous … Jesus would spit in your eye.

13. Randy says

Matthew 6:5-6

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

14. JONES says

Inviting Laurie is a slap in the face to the LGBT community and their supporters.

I want to know who is responsible for inviting him and who in the Obama administration gave approval?

SLDN is right. This asshat has to be ‘uninvited’.

15. andrew says

A Republic like ours whose foundational document: The U. S. Constitution doesn’t even mention the word God should not have a government sponsored National Day of Prayer.

16. Krajci says

Why do gays even care about this National Day of Prayer, or who leads it? It’s not like any of you have any religion or Christianity in your lives anyway, so don’t concern yourselves with this event that has absolutely nothing to do with you and your kind. You’re just embittered because someone who isn’t your “friend” is going to preside over a national event, because you’ve deluded yourselves into thinking that everyone supports you. Meh. Not true. Some things have absolutely nothing to do with you. Go to a circuit party or something. This is about faith.

17. jeff says

Krajci, How dare you assume to know anything about my spiritual life or the spiritual lives of anyone else who read this article? I am a Christian and I go to church. Just not a bigoted church like this hate monger leads. You are rude, and insulting to imply that every gay is without religion or that every gay wants to go to a circuit party. How do you know what a circuit party is? Do you actually go to them yourself, or do you just watch circuit parties from a distance with your left handed binoculars… don’t drop them now..

18. Marc says

I’m not surprised that people who believe in superstition believe in bigoted nonsense. I look forward to the day religion is eradicated from the earth.

19. Tim says

The word of God states that homosexuals will not enter into The Kingdom of God. Plain and simple. With that said, it doesn’t mean because I believe the word of God that I hate homosexuals. In fact I love all people, as Christ did, the sins however I do hate.If I did not love all I could not pray for all to turn from the sins of the world. Yes God loves all, it’s the sins He doesn’t like. Because I don’t agree with homosexuality doesn’t make me a hater. How can one call themselves a Christian and only believe part of the bible? Do we choose what parts we want to believe? I think when we do that we call God a liar, so I believe every single word!

20. Leo says

Religion kills! and religion has literally KILLED millions of LGBT.

Why do we NEVER hold religion accountable for MANY concrete recorded cases where it directly was involved in hurting the lives of gay people?

21. Kyle S. says

Why do religious people get so many rights all for believing in things that frankly….read insane, sound insane and are insane in text. What if my beliefs said the world was created by ants and chocolate? I want to create an institution and be tax exempt and make millions for that. Coupled with making laws based on my (insane) beliefs.

22. Johnny says

Mary had sex outside marriage, lied about it, and now we all have to deal with these crazies and their “water into wine after the sea parted” fabricated stories. Keep you religion outside my throat and rights.

23. JONES says

@Tim

Your belief that I’m not bound for heaven is fine with me. Really, I mean that.
    Think clearly and understand what I’m saying now … that doesn’t give you the right to make laws which take away my civil rights. Laws of man are of the earthly realm and I intend to fight to the end of days for equality under those laws for me and mine.

Someday your God will remove the plank from your eyes.

24. DC Arnold says

As ever OLDER white men chose another stab of the poker at gays by choosing this Nutbrain. The hypocrisy of the Homo Robbing Committee (HRC) also rears it’s ugly head: Both are harvesting donations without ever giving back to those brainwashed to begin with.

25. Andrew says

@Krajci

This is the problem I have with some of the far right wing folks, they assume all sorts of things about people when they know nothing about them. These accusations are shameful.

26. says

The National Day of Prayer is directly hosted by racists, as are all christian organizations and churches. The entire religion was based on hatred of other people and tribes. Murder, starvation, child abuse, genocide, torture, and the worst kinds of outright lies are the only things which make up the nastiest, filthiest, most useless, anti-human conspiracy by con men in history. Judaism and Christianity are anti-human and their adherants should be neutered.

27. Merv says

Attention Gay Christians:

You are often accused of remaining silent when anti-gay Christians use the Bible to condemn homosexuality, but then complain vociferously when atheists use the same verses to point out that Christianity is an anti-gay religion. Well, that accusation has once again been proven correct.

Twelve hours ago, an anti-gay post was left by a Christian named Tim, and still no clear-cut condemnation of his words from gay Christians. Why are you so deferential to anti-gay Christians, yet hostile to atheists when they say the same thing?

28. T.J says

Religion is the destruction of society. Religion is the root of virtually every war, violent act, hate, discrimination and unjust laws throughout history.

Personally, I don’t trust people, gay or straight, that align themselves with an institution responsible for so much of the worlds divide.

29. John says

If I saw someone driving toward a cliff and didn’t warn them, wouldn’t it be hateful to not say something? For followers of Jesus Christ, the Bible defines what is right and wrong. If there is not standard for truth, then I can believe whatever I want and say it’s okay. So why can’t I marry my 10 year old son? Why can’t two men marry a woman and make them a “marriage unit.” All of these are real issues, and Rome among other great societies fell because of moral degredation and destruction of families.

30. Onnyjay says

What idiot invited this monkey to do anything more than sweep the floors after the “day of prayer” was over? Of course he’ll try to “pray away the gay” and also bless the corporations’ military-industrial campaigns of militarization and empire, but no good words for those who actually want to make life better for everyone. Prayer = propaganda among the weak-minded fools who swallow the conservatard lies.

31. Tim says

To those i say this 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, read it. It is clearly stated in God’s word. Now you may choose to say that God loves everyone and He does, but my friend LOVE WILL NOT get you in heaven. And you may say that I have no love, but I say to you, I’m here showing you God’s word, what better way to show love than to show compassion for another persons soul?

32. Merv says

@Tim – Are you so arrogant that you think we haven’t heard of your garbage religion a million times before? Not very bright, are you? We’ve heard it, and we reject it. We reject it because it teaches, among other things, that genocide is OK (Leviticus 25:44-46, Ephesians 6:5), and that genocide is OK (Numbers 31:14-8). Read them. Now, if the Bible got real moral evils like slavery and genocide wrong, I don’t put much stock in its opinion on homosexuality.

33. Andrew says

@ John

I don’t get why some conservatives feel the need to bring up incest again and again. It’s like they have a strange, twisted obsession with it..

34. Shirley says

Here’s what the Bible says about homosexuality: Leviticus 20:13. “If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death: their blood shall be upon them.” A Christian pastor who teaches the Bible has a right to condemn homosexuality.

35. Tim says

@ Andrew

The scripture Shirley has spoken of refers to the eternal life/death. But I don’t expect a non Christian to understand that either since you believe that homosexuality is not a sin.

36. says

Time after time, history records the fate of nations that forsook the Lord. However those who founded our nation and her laws understood the importance of honoring God and besought His guidance and blessings for the United States of America! Today, we stand together with them and declare: “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord!” (Psalm.33:12).
    Should there be a National Day of Prayer? The answer: “Yes! But so much more!” My challenge to you today – Live the Outrageous Life – in such a way that the Power of Christ in you changes your sphere of influence. Let’s pray then put “feet to our prayers” as the 1st century disciples did: “And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked in them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed” (Mark.16:20).