Chicago | Football (American) | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Chicago Bears: We Do Not Support the 'National Organization for Marriage' Ruth Institute

Ruthinstitute

Yesterday, Equality Matters made note of an email sent out by Jennifer Roback-Morse, a virulent homophobe who heads up NOM's Ruth Institute. Roback-Morse had sent out an email about an upcoming gala event the group is holding and tooted about Chciago Bears memorabilia the group planned to raffle off, specifically a jersey signed by Brian Urlacher and a photo autographed by Walter Payton.

MorseWrote Morse:

This year, we're planning on sending our graduates off with a bang! And we've got some help! Several donors have stepped up and donated terrific items for us to raffle as prizes in an effort to raise funds for ITAF '13.

[…]

For now, you should know that we have two fabulous raffle items from the Chicago Bears Organization (and a huge THANK YOU to the Bears for supporting our message).

Turns out that was all a lie and the Bears were not pleased about it, the Chicago Tribune reports:

Urlaher"I sign a lot of stuff for charity and I don't always know where it goes," Urlacher told the Tribune. "If I would have known it was for this cause, I wouldn't have done it."

Payton's older brother Eddie Payton said he did not know of any memorabilia regarding his brother used to support an anti-gay marriage group.

"This is the first I've heard of it," said Payton, a former NFL kick returner. "Walter treated everybody equal. … Only Walter could speak for himself, but it's a touchy subject. It should be a non-subject."

The Bears issued a statement, saying "The two items featured in The Ruth Institute gala invitation were personal donations to (President) Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse. Neither was a club donation, nor do they represent the team's view on any social issues. Any remarks stating otherwise are false."

Morse also issued a statement:

"The Ruth Institute is not working with the Chicago Bears organization or any of its players past or present to promote our upcoming auction. The memorabilia we are auctioning off was acquired by me personally, not through the team or players. We understand that the Chicago Bears organization takes no position on social issues, and we regret any confusion we may have caused on this point."

Comments

1. Goes to show how sick NOM is - if they can lie and get away with it they will and they have done so repeatedly. In this instance they were called on it. Good. Reveals them for what and who they really are - bigots of the worst kind. NOM is a hate group.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 4, 2013 1:59:46 PM

2. Chicagoans may not all agree that Urlacher was a great player, and he does come across as an oaf sometimes, but I've always loved him and hearing him distance himself from something like this warms my usually cold heart.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 4, 2013 2:02:11 PM

3. She tried it!

Posted by: Chaz | Apr 4, 2013 2:08:52 PM

4. thanks guys
    One of the things the rest of the world should know that the best thing a gay man can have in his life is a really amazing straight man. There is no judgment, there is no hate, you are my brother and you are not heavy. My sisters would say the same thing about great women who have said the same thing to them.

I am a very lucky man to have had Spence, Elgin, Rob, Clay and Troy, in my life. Most men get one, I got a team.

Posted by: Rees Cramer | Apr 4, 2013 2:11:02 PM

5. It's great to hear that my hometown's football team doesn't want to be associated with this kind of rhetoric. Awesome!

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 4, 2013 2:11:38 PM

6. And once again this christian group is caught in a lie

Posted by: Frank | Apr 4, 2013 2:16:31 PM

7. Ah, the ol' "we regret any confusion we may have caused." In other words, we're not sorry for lying, but we apologize to anyone who was stupid enough to believe our lies.

Posted by: JJ | Apr 4, 2013 2:24:59 PM

8. The funny thing is, even in her 'apology', SHE IS STILL LYING.

re: 'We understand that the Chicago Bears organization takes no position on social issues, and we regret any confusion we may have caused on this point"

Yeah, they DID take a position! They rejected your bigotry, Jennifer Roback-Morse, you lying a**hole.

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 4, 2013 2:31:06 PM

9. "We regret any confusion we may have caused"? Please... Sneaky cow.

Posted by: WildGift | Apr 4, 2013 3:28:10 PM

10. I think my new rule of thumb with Ms. More is anything that comes out of her mouth is probably a lie.......

Posted by: Bernie | Apr 4, 2013 7:27:57 PM

11. The next thing you know people will be saying that The Shroud of Turin is a fake.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 5, 2013 3:43:18 AM

12. .....if lies were pies, this chick would be the size of Maggie Gallagher!

Posted by: wayne | Apr 6, 2013 10:20:47 AM