Gay Marriage | News

Read a Sensible Fourth Grader's Essay on Marriage Equality

4thgrade

A teacher posted the essay above to Reddit, saying, "One of my 4th grade students chose gay marriage as his topic for a persuasive essay. This is the result. More sense than some adults."

Says the fourth grader (sic):

Why gay people should be able to get married is you can't stop two adult's from getting married because there grown and it doesn't matter if it creeps you out just get over it. And you should be happy for them because it's a big momment in their life. When I went to my grandparents wedding it was the happies momment.

As you can see gay people should have the right to get married and you shouldn't judge other peoples lives because if you was gay you wouldn't want people talking about you.

Comments

1. This fourth grader gets it!

Posted by: Tom in Long Beach | Apr 24, 2013 2:12:58 PM

2. I hate to be a killjoy here, but I wish people on both sides of the political aisle would stop using small children to try to back up their case. Children under the age of 13 don't have the mental power to think as abstractly as one needs to think to judge political issues (average children, not highly exceptional ones.) Any case a child makes for ANY political position is likely to be simplistic. Political life is for adults, and to some extent adolescents (who are or supposed to be, adults-in-trainng.) It's as if people are saying "See?" Our position is so obviously logical that even a small child would see it." If so, then why are there two sides or more to every political issue? Is everyone who disagrees with you more simple-minded than a child? Civility doesn't last long when you start implying this.

I know I'm accused of being "bunched up and tense", but still...

Posted by: Mary | Apr 24, 2013 2:25:07 PM

3. First of all, Reddit is notoriously homophobic in that when a post is found to be fake, the comments section is filled with "OP is a faggot!" remarks. For some reason, there is a trend on Reddit to say, "OP is a faggot" and it happens all the time. The comment will get upvoted over and over and hate speech like that is neither discouraged nor banned. Even William Shatner says Reddit is homophobic (Google it).

Second, posts like the fourth grader's essay above are often found to be fake on Reddit because the poster was trying to get "karma" (it's a Reddit term). Towleroad should always verify that the post was true and not a hoax as Reddit has had many hoax posts in the past.

Towleroad has a history of reporting on things as if they are fact, only to find out they aren't true later on. That's how you lose credibility.

P.S. - I won't say which one, but one of your "Gay Wedding Video Of The Day" in the past was fake. It wasn't real. I won't say which one but I couldn't believe no one could tell.

Posted by: Are you kidding? | Apr 24, 2013 2:25:17 PM

4. I don't care who wrote it, I'm persuaded by it.

Posted by: Demian | Apr 24, 2013 2:33:13 PM

5. Regardless of who wrote it - isn't it the truth? Children aren't born hating others; adults make them that way.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 24, 2013 2:33:24 PM

6. @AREYOUKIDDING: The "OP is a fag" thing is an inside joke on Reddit. It's a holdover from hideous sites like 4chan and not meant to be offensive. Reddit is one of the warmest, most welcoming online communities out there and they are VERY pro-gay. Like it or not, this new generation is changing the landscape of our language. The f-word does not mean the same thing anymore. I highly recommend watching an episode of "South Park" called "The F Word". I still bristle at the word when used in certain ways, but if I can loosen up on it, everyone can. And William Shatner is not much of a judge of what is homophobic and what isn't.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 24, 2013 2:38:41 PM

7. Content = A+; grammatical presentation = needs work, teacher.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Apr 24, 2013 2:45:17 PM

8. This seems like a pretty obvious fake to me--something done by either the parents or the teacher or some random person. I've known a few dozen kids that age through teaching and among my cousins' kids and they just do not express themselves this way. And even on the off chance it's real, Mary is spot on: stop using kids for this stuff.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 24, 2013 2:58:48 PM

9. Handwriting analysis please. Even great works of art can be
    counterfiet.

Posted by: GB | Apr 24, 2013 3:59:45 PM

10. HadenoughBS - my thoughts exactly.

Posted by: S. | Apr 24, 2013 4:21:08 PM

11. I rather doubt its authenticity, but it's a nice try. No harm done.

If this had been the result of an assignment in a public school, we would have probably heard some type of right-wing outcry by now.

Is cursive writing no longer used in the fourth grade for an assignment such as this one?

One would think grammar, spelling, and punctuation would have been addressed before releasing the document to the press. Makes me wonder if the mistakes aren't intentional to make the "essay" seem real.

Posted by: Anon | Apr 24, 2013 5:27:09 PM

12. "You've got to be taught before it's too late,
    Before you are six or seven or eight,
    To hate all the people your relatives hate,
    You've got to be carefully taught!"
    - From the 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific

Kids aren't innately racist, sexist, or homophobic.

Posted by: alex | Apr 24, 2013 5:42:15 PM

13. Yes, I am also skeptical of any organization using children as tools of propaganda to further an agenda or political cause.

I'm from California. When Prop 8 was being placed on the ballots for the 2008 election, the airwaves were suddenly flooded with propaganda commercials showing a young girl returning home from elementary school with the book "King & King" The children's story is about a prince marrying another prince -- "and I can marry a princess!" exclaims the child, with a quick cut to the mother's horrified face.

So, that's when I decided it was detestable to use kids as propaganda to promote a cause. And it has to apply to this letter I'm afraid.

Posted by: will | Apr 24, 2013 5:48:23 PM

14. Anon: Cursive writing is no longer taught in a lot of school and many U.S. states and Canadian provinces don't require it to be taught. The schools say they need to spend time on keyboarding skills instead.

Posted by: Neil | Apr 24, 2013 5:53:21 PM

15. @AJ,

You said, "The "OP is a fag" thing is an inside joke on Reddit."

I say too many kids are killing themselves for being called a faggot by a classmate. A person (probably a heterosexual) on Reddit calling someone else a faggot is spreading hate and it's an attack on our community.

You said, "Reddit is one of the warmest, most welcoming online communities out there and they are VERY pro-gay."

I say right now there is a story on Reddit about a senator coming out as gay. Some of the comments on Reddit include people saying: "Fags," "What a disgrace" "Pussy!" and "Let him hang!" If you think this is warm and welcoming, you are sick!

You said, "Like it or not, this new generation is changing the landscape of our language. The f-word does not mean the same thing anymore."

I say try telling that to the parents of gay teenagers who killed themselves when "this new generation" called them faggot over and over until they hung themselves.

You said, "I highly recommend watching an episode of "South Park"

I say "South Park" appeals to the lowest common denominator and you are a perfect example of that.

Posted by: Are you kidding? | Apr 24, 2013 7:27:31 PM

16. And the children shall lead.

Posted by: FFS | Apr 24, 2013 7:29:03 PM

17. AJ, get real. You always apologize for homophobia. The word "isn't the same anymore" is a joke. Tell that to LGBTQ teens who have that word slung at them daily. You've been conditioned to accept homophobia.

This letter is cute, and yes, the spelling is poor, but his heart is in the right place. I'm going to assume it's real.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 24, 2013 7:35:20 PM

18. Anyone who thinks that reddit is "warm and welcoming" is probably under the influence of some very powerful stupefacients.

Reddit is the internet haven of the white heterosexual man, and all that that entails.

Posted by: GCS | Apr 24, 2013 9:17:58 PM

19. Here are two truths regarding marriage: (1) A man creating a family with another man is not equal to creating a family with a woman, and (2) denying children parents of both genders at home is an objective evil. Kids need and yearn for both.

Same-sex marriage couples selfishly demand “Marriage Equality”, yet, in return, they offer LESS-THAN-EQUAL protection of the child’s happiness than can be afforded through the presence of both biological parents. In the name of "Marriage Equality", same-sex marriage leaves the child fully aware that his family is, in all truth, not at all "equal", natural, nor complete. The use of the term "marriage Equality" by same-sex marriage proponents selfishly ignores the child's perspective of "equality".

Same-sex marriage proponents profess that it is love which gives the right to join the institution of marriage, yet, in doing so, they selfishly violate the principle LOVING objective of this noble institution; to protect a child’s Natural Right to be raised by both biological parents.

Posted by: Jean-Jacques Burlamaqui | Apr 24, 2013 11:54:13 PM

20. Jean-Jacques Burlamaqui,

So I assume you also oppose opposite-sex couples having IVF with another woman's egg or another man's sperm in the case of infertility?

Troglodyte.

Posted by: redball | Apr 25, 2013 12:24:19 AM

21. That is so nice. I hope the student grows up and becomes the next president.

Posted by: darryl | Apr 25, 2013 3:04:49 PM

22. Some day he may grow up and become President.
    A good President. 20-30 years from now when he's grown. Hope the world is a better place by them too!

Posted by: darryl | Apr 25, 2013 3:06:47 PM

23. Is this a joke? Do writers and editors really think that a 4th grader understands the concepts of sex & marriage to make an educated statement on marriage? I am surprised how stupid this teacher can be to believe this story. And all the media pushing this story, are you so stupid to fall for this. Or is there another hidden agenda. Why don’t you simply say you believe and support Gay marriage? Are you so afraid that you need to hide behind a kid to push your beliefs?

Posted by: BKS | Apr 26, 2013 2:05:52 PM

24. Children are a part of the fight for equality because unless y'all materialized outta thin air, we lgbt people were once kids, too. And kids have gay parents. And siblings. And classmates.

My mum goes to elementary schools talking about being the mother to two kids - one straight, one gay. Children have to be taught to hate - and this can very easily be taught to love and embrace diversity.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 26, 2013 2:16:55 PM

25. I've been to my share of gay weddings. The children of the marrying couple(s) are all too aware of not just the beauty of the marriage, but that there's still a culture of ignorance and hatred against their Family. Kids get it. It's rickety adults that refuse to.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 26, 2013 2:20:00 PM