Gay Marriage | Joe Donnelly | News

Senator Joe Donnelly (D-IN) Comes Out for Marriage Equality

Senator Joe Donnelly (D-IN) has come out for marriage equality:

Donnelly“In recent years, our country has been involved in an important discussion on the issue of marriage equality. While serving in the House of Representatives, I had the opportunity to act on a core belief of mine: we are a stronger country when we draw on the strengths of all Americans. I voted to repeal ‘don't ask, don't tell’ and was an original supporter of the bill that would make it illegal to discriminate against someone in the workplace because of their sexual orientation. It is also for that reason that I oppose amending either Indiana’s or our nation’s constitution to enshrine in those documents an ‘us’ and a ‘them,’ instead of a ‘we.’ With the recent Supreme Court arguments and accompanying public discussion of same-sex marriage, I have been thinking about my past positions and votes. In doing so, I have concluded that the right thing to do is to support marriage equality for all.”

With Bill Nelson last night and Heidi Heitkamp moments ago, there are now only four Democratic Senators that don't support marriage equality.

They are: Tim Johnson (D-SD),  Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Joe Manchin (D-WV), and Mark Pryor, (D-AR).

Comments

1. This man looks a lot like John Hamm... Man, change that hair cut, and they could be brothers. Nice looking guy!

Posted by: DanCobb | Apr 5, 2013 10:17:48 AM

2. Smart political move. Up to 53 in the Senate now!

Posted by: Francis | Apr 5, 2013 10:26:44 AM

3. Unfortunately, with the way things are in the Senate now you need 60 solid votes to get anything done! Gotta get some more Republicans on board!

Posted by: MickleSt | Apr 5, 2013 10:57:21 AM

4. While it is true you need 60, I don't think Murkowski, Collins, or the 4 democrats who are currently opposed to it, even Manchin, will move to filibuster it. They may or will vote against the ROM act but they won't filibuster it. So that's really 59 votes (for the procedural vote).

Posted by: Mitchell | Apr 5, 2013 11:04:08 AM

5. So are all of these people supporters of ENDA? And an ENDA including protections for transgender individuals?

Posted by: Charlie | Apr 5, 2013 11:14:49 AM

6. A bigger problem than the 60 votes in the Senate will be getting any sort of marriage equality bill even introduced and allowed to come to a vote in the House. We won't see any action on a DOMA repeal by this Congress.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 5, 2013 1:19:03 PM

7. Wondering why Mary Landrieu has not come out in support yet. I always thought she was pro-gay and had many gay friends in New Orleans and Louisiana. She must be facing a difficult reelection campaign.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Apr 5, 2013 2:42:11 PM

8. This is great! Another one comes over to the side of equaltiy.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 5, 2013 5:22:39 PM

9. You know if all that needs to be done to change the name of something is to get it ok'd by the congress then I think I want to be a Biden and that way I will have all the perks and aminities the Biden's have. Then I will be equal with them.

Posted by: Gloria | Apr 9, 2013 4:00:40 PM

10. Dear Senator Donnelly,
    While I appreciate your considering your past positions and votes, I'd like to remind you that you are to be a representative of your constituents' interests and positions. I could not be more disappointed in your decision to ignore the moral foundation of our society and the great majority of the people whom you are to represent. It seems clear that your conclusion is based on a desire for career as a politician rather than as a statesman.
    Please reconsider your conclusion and rescind your statement as you represent the great State of Indiana.
    Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Kevin Landis

Posted by: Kevin landis | Apr 9, 2013 5:58:31 PM

11. the trend definitely is for equal civil rights for gay americans. that's a good thing for our democracy - of by and for the people - and a freer america where all have the same rights.

Posted by: AmericanFellow | Apr 24, 2013 11:37:11 AM