Jason Collins | News | NFL | Wisconsin

BigGayDeal.com

Wisconsin Church Cancels Former NFL Player LeRoy Butler's Speech Over Tweet Supporting Jason Collins

Butler

Former Green Bay Packers safety LeRoy Butler says a Wisconsin church canceled a speaking engagement he had with them because he congratulated gay NBA center Jason Collins on Twitter after his coming out.

Writes Butler: Leroy_butler

“Wow, I was scheduled to speak at a church in WI, and a member said that the pastor wants to cancel my event. I said ok why? Then I was told, because I said congrats to Jason Collins on Twitter,” Butler wrote. “I said really? we have a contract, he said check the moral cause, FYI the fee was $8,500, then I was told if I removed the tweet, and apologize and ask god forgiveness, I can have the event. I said no, only god can judge.”

Butler played eleven years with the Packers and invented the "Lambeau Leap" touchdown celebration.

Comments

1. Sounds like he lucked out.

Posted by: Paul R | May 1, 2013 1:05:19 PM

2. Does anyone know which church?

Posted by: church wenter | May 1, 2013 1:21:32 PM

3. Must purge people who don't conform exactly to my dogma.
    Must purge people who don't conform exactly to my dogma.
    Must purge people who don't conform exactly to my dogma.

Posted by: Gus | May 1, 2013 1:23:55 PM

4. You will know Christians by their nuts

Posted by: Steve | May 1, 2013 1:24:55 PM

5. Is anyone actually surprised by this? I didn't think so. My first thought after reading this is "Why is a church paying $8.5K to have a ball player make a speech?"

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | May 1, 2013 1:27:47 PM

6. Unfortunately Freedom of Religion has now been extended to getting out of contracts with people you disagree with. I hope he sues them, just to make a point.

Posted by: David | May 1, 2013 1:28:00 PM

7. This is Wisconsin.
    Little to zero protections for its LGBT citizens.

Home of Paul 'lets agree to disagree' Ryan
    and the power base behind the RNC Priebus platform of anti gay vitriol.

A dangerous place to have homosexual tendencies.

Posted by: JONES | May 1, 2013 1:28:27 PM

8. And they'll know you are christian by your love.

?

Posted by: Bill | May 1, 2013 1:29:46 PM

9. I think he should still sue the church for breaking the terms of the contract. I don't think that morals clause BS would stand up, especially with Wisconsin's non-discrimination laws. As a society, it's time we stop letting bigots hide behind Christianity. Being gay and coming out does not infer any specific morality or immorality. But it is immoral to hate a specific segment of creation because of the way God created them.

Posted by: Mike | May 1, 2013 1:33:47 PM

10. Mr. Butler now has a clear idea of who is who. It's good to see straight people getting an understanding of what religious homophobes are really like.

Posted by: Jack M | May 1, 2013 1:33:55 PM

11. I feel for this man, but what can be done? A church is free to cancel an event if the speaker reveals a value they don't want to promote. If there was a "morals clause" then he knew about it (or should have.) The culture wars are going to cause these kinds of situations to arise regularly. Expect a lot more of this kind of thing in the future.

Social change is never easy. But I'm glad that this athlete stood up for what he believed in.

Posted by: Mary | May 1, 2013 1:38:07 PM

12. Morals clause? Doesn't apply, sue the christards.

Posted by: Jon | May 1, 2013 1:38:34 PM

13. The homeless and the hungry must be doing pretty well there if a Wisconsin church has an extra $8.5k to spend on a 45 minute talk.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 1, 2013 1:46:41 PM

14. Get this: The talk was to have been an anti-bullying presentation!

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 1, 2013 1:48:43 PM

15. The church would have a hard time proving that Butlers tweet in support of Jason Collins was a violation of a morals clause.

Butler probably won't pursue it.

But JackM raised a good point. Now Leroy Butler has had a little taste of the hate & bigotry we have to face daily.

Posted by: JONES | May 1, 2013 1:50:22 PM

16. Now the world will know that this church is not about love and god but exclusion and hate.

Posted by: Carter | May 1, 2013 2:02:52 PM

17. @ Dastius Krazitauc Perfect comment. My thoughts exactly. Richmond, VA is my hometown and I remember a preacher there standing on the street corner with a sandwich board and megaphone yelling about a doomed nation of sodomites. On the opposite side of the street was a poor, elderly woman begging for money. I wish I would have taken a picture.

Posted by: JT | May 1, 2013 2:06:26 PM

18. "Now Leroy Butler has had a little taste of the hate & bigotry we have to face daily."

I don't know the man but given that an American high school just had its first integrated prom, I would guess he's had his own experience with hate and bigotry.

Posted by: Hue-Man | May 1, 2013 2:08:23 PM

19. I agree with most of these comments, but I'm pretty sure that as a black man he knows what it feels like to be treated unfairly for no rational reason.

Posted by: Paul R | May 1, 2013 2:10:44 PM

20. Step 1: Remove the tweet.
    Step 2: Apologize.
    Step 3: Ask God's forgiveness.
    Step 4: Speak at the event.
    Step 5: Cash the check.
    Step 6: Donate proceeds to local Marriage Equality initiative.
    Step 7: Flip off the church members with both fingers, while mooning them.
    Step 8: Retract apology and request for forgiveness.

Posted by: Crisis Mgmt. | May 1, 2013 2:16:12 PM

21. Crisis, I was with you until Step 7. Giving the finger to people and mooning them are childish actions. They lower the dignity of the pro-equality cause.

Posted by: Mary | May 1, 2013 2:22:29 PM

22. "Why is a church paying $8.5K to have a ball player make a speech?"

There is a whole industry of paid Christian speakers and their fees would amaze you...so worry for Tim Teebow.

Posted by: Gus | May 1, 2013 2:30:02 PM

23. My apologies.
    Was referencing Leroy Butler as a straight man. I'm sure he's had his share of racial bigotry, & prejudice.

Posted by: JONES | May 1, 2013 2:30:35 PM

24. @jones He is a black guy with a little bit of cash living in Wisconsin.... um something tells me he already knows how discrimination feels. : ) I'm aure those experiences informed his response.

Posted by: cdubois | May 1, 2013 2:35:28 PM

25. This church is having to bribe speakers to subscibe to a bigoted point of view?

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | May 1, 2013 2:47:59 PM