Cuba | Havana | Mariela Castro | News

Mariela Castro Leads March Against Homophobia in Cuba: VIDEO

Mariela_Castro

Mariela Castro led hundreds of people through the streets of Havana in a march against homophobia on Saturday, al Jazeera reports:

People danced La Rampa through the crowded city, chanting "Homophobia no! Socialism yes!" as they made their way through Havana for more than an hour. Cuba has previously persecuted homosexuals, particularly during the 1960s when being gay was outlawed and homosexuals were interned in work camps.

Mariela Castro said she is optimistic that the communist nation will eventually legalise gay marriage.

"What is most complicated is the time it takes to overcome prejudices," she said.

"We must change consciousness."

Watch a BBC report on the march and the situation for gays in Cuba, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Too bad Mariela Castro still has a very poor reputation among the gay and lesbian Cuban-Americans who feel she is paying lip service. Furthermore, she still represents the old regime.

Posted by: Sandy | May 12, 2013 10:08:25 AM

2. Socialism yes, indeed. Outstanding reporting on a dictatorial regime.

Posted by: joe | May 12, 2013 10:11:07 AM

3. Shameless. This should not have been posted. The 'Cuban 5' are SPIES whom the U.S. government legitimately arrested, tried and were convicted. This protest allegedly against homophobia is really about the Cuban government using PR to get their spies back.

Posted by: ratabstard | May 12, 2013 10:20:40 AM

4. Ah, how refreshing! It's not even noon yet and the LC Republican trolls are out, on cue, bashing cuba to make their mommies and daddies 'oh so proud'.

FTFM? ...Tired old canard of typical gay republican's DADDY who sold out a whole nation because he couldn't carve it into another (failed) capitalist colony stripped bare of it's resources for the pockets of El Norte.

Posted by: william | May 12, 2013 10:26:43 AM

5. Whiners about Cuba are the worst. You don't hear them saying the same thing about Ecuador, Venezuela, Bolivia, or Peru, because that's just too hard for them to grasp. Wake up; this is Latin America. This is a huge ally. Nobody gives a sh*t how some American commenter feels about it; she is making a tremendous difference, in the face of all your whiny bitching. So you don't like their government; all governments in this hemisphere have done heinous things over the last several decades. Live with it and stop obsessing over this tiny island.

Posted by: denizo | May 12, 2013 10:27:49 AM

6. You certainly don't have to be a Republican to think that Cuba's a badly-run dictatorship that has done poorly by its citizens, and to suspect that Mariela Castro's GLBT activism while nice is an attempt to gain political cover for a tottering gerontocracy.

Posted by: Randy McDonald | May 12, 2013 10:33:29 AM

7. I love how nobody complains when representatives of China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia come here. Oh, yes. Saudi Arabia is our FRIEND. Pakistan os our ALLY. Mariela is making a difference in Cuba. If not her, then who?

Posted by: will | May 12, 2013 11:10:36 AM

8. I criticize ALL totalitarian and abusive governments, regardless if they're on the left or right, and regardless if they're at least nominally 'friends' and allies of the U.S. government. Although many people quite rightly criticize actions the U.S. and other governments take, myself included, I do recognize the U.S, government and other governments must live in the real world and deal with real world realities. I do recognize intelligence agencies like the CIA, NSA, British SIS, French DGSE, German BND, Russian foreign intelligence service, Chinese intelligence agencies, etc. have legitimate reasons to exist, and there are legitimate state secrets, and sometimes unpleasant things that have to be done.

And I'm not a Republican. When responding to a post you disagree with, try better than to repeat the [in TRs usual case] leftwing 'progressive' talking points, such as accusing anyone who expresses disagreement with the party line of being 'racist, or 'teabaggers', neocons and Republicans. Oh forgot, Nazis, fascist, homophobic bigots, and misogynist. You might be taken more seriously. Same applies to rightwing true believers and hack shills and their talking points.

I really don't care if the U.S reestablished relations with Castro,Inc. but please, stop arguing this b*tch is anything other than a fraud who is trying to appeal to western 'progressives' with her gay rights schtick. Her goal is to deflect attention away from her family's abuses running Cuba as a highly repressive totalitarian state for 50 years. The guy holding the 'free Cuba 5' [in English no less] says it all.

Posted by: ratabstard | May 12, 2013 12:08:00 PM

9. How much better would life have been for the average Cuban had the US been an ally for the past 60 years?
    We've 'tolerated' socialist and even communistic governments around the globe whenever big business can make money with them.
    Mariella is an LGBT rights leader and I'm thankful for her efforts.

Posted by: JONES | May 12, 2013 12:11:16 PM

10. @Jones,

The U.S. is not God-like. Cuba has had relations with many other nations as advanced as the U.S. They s*ck because their system s*cks, period. It's not the fault of the U.S. The fault lies ENTIRELY with Castro,Inc.

Posted by: ratabstard | May 12, 2013 12:23:43 PM

11. What I hate most about this pathetic story is that it's a typical commie woman and she's clearly a better human being than the right-wing American men who I like to pretend think I'm cool.

Posted by: Rick | May 12, 2013 12:34:53 PM

12. @ratbastard
    And you talk about living in the real world. ENTIRELY their fault.

Have the mightiest country on Earth (90 miles from your island border) against you in all it's fury for 60 years and your trade policies aren't mitigated, your commerce isn't affected. Sanctions designed to bring the country to it's economic knees.

Fidel Castro is an ass in a lot of regards but he refused to be relegated to a servant class of the rich & powerful ruling class in the US.

Fidel aside, what you're doing is trying to discredit Mariella's LGBT activism because you disagree with her father's politics. She's been an LGBT activist in Cuba for a decade but of course to you she only been doing that so that she can 'deflect' anti-Castro views.
    Aren't you the one who just asked to not be disrespected merely for party affiliation?

Posted by: JONES | May 12, 2013 12:40:27 PM

13. @JONES - No, I'm saying what I'm saying because I'm a right-leaning closeted white boy who hates being gay almost as much as my family hates my being gay, and whenever I see stories about people in other countries and places that are doing more for gay people than my own white conservative family I need to come online and pretend I have reasons to object to it.

So stop trying to use logic and reason when communicating with me. I'm only here to type lies so I don't have to think about the realities about my own pathetic failure of a life.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 12, 2013 12:44:40 PM

14. Considering how backward the Caribbean island nations are when it comes to gay rights (see Jamaica), this seems like a remarkable effort to address deep-seated prejudice.

What did Stalin's daughter do that was positive?

Nevertheless, I am confident that our boycott is really starting to bring the Cuban communist regime -including the allegedly retired Fidel Castro - to its knees.

Posted by: Fahd | May 12, 2013 3:13:37 PM

15. Amazing! 50 years later and the chanting is the same- Viva the Cuban Revolution! Down with Yankee Imperialism! Mariela really needs to get new speech writers...

Posted by: jaragon | May 12, 2013 5:15:39 PM

16. The trolls on this board have evolved into something especially noisesome and rank. They also seem to have no lives and post on every single comment. Any chance of making a new site and not telling them about it?

Posted by: denizo | May 12, 2013 8:21:57 PM

17. I'm not sure this is what's going on here, but we should always be wary of how minority rights can be used to bolster a regime's internal and external legitimacy. Whether it's state feminism in Mubarak's Egypt, pinkwashing in Israel, or use of the woman question to support invading Afghanistan, this is a very common and insidious tactic. Ms. Castro should do her best to distance herself from the regime if she wants to sustain any reforms she might achieve.

Posted by: Fareed | May 12, 2013 11:03:30 PM

18. @JONES - No, I'm saying what I'm saying because I'm a right-leaning closeted white boy who hates being gay almost as much as my family hates my being gay, and whenever I see stories about people in other countries and places that are doing more for gay people than my own white conservative family I need to come online and pretend I have reasons to object to it.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 12, 2013 12:44:40 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Raymond Miller of Toronto, AKA Little Kiwi, wrote the above post, no me.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 13, 2013 6:28:16 AM

19. @Jones,

Ask the far leftist Canadian troll, Raymond Miller, why his beloved Canada hasn't been able to do more to help the 'revolution' in Cuba. Canada has had and continues to have full relations with Cuba. Ask the various Euro countries, the UK, Russia, China, India, etc., why they haven't been able to help the 'revolution' succeed.

I know it's fun to play victim and blame the U.S. for all your problems, and the world's problems, but surely all those other countries could have picked up the slack caused by the U.S. lack of relations with Cuba.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 13, 2013 6:35:16 AM

20. Re. sandy
    I thought that winter storm has been gone as spring is definitely here! lol
    are you referring to those GOProud types?
    I wouldn't be surprised, their parents and the whole clans voted for shrubs!

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 13, 2013 9:43:27 AM

21. @ Randy,
    Hey that wife beating Hero is doing all the publicity for your hamburgers. so you didn't really even need to bother! lol

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 13, 2013 9:48:53 AM

22. Isn't Raul Castro considered a dictator in Cuba? Politics for the last 60 years aside, it seems like the only person that Mariela Castro has to convince of anything regarding gays is her own father. Isn't the point of a dictatorship that supreme power lies with that one person. All Raul Castro has to do is agree and gays in Cuba can do anything they wish.

Posted by: Jere | May 13, 2013 9:50:09 AM

23. @ratbastard,
    oh this is so upsetting for you so i c that u had a typo in your own name, making it even rattier! lol
    as it 's been said many times ,( Particularly, in your case) a " Democrat" is a Republican in drag! Um, in this case again a very ratty drag ! lol

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 13, 2013 9:59:43 AM

24. @ Jones,
    I think the bottom line is that haters will hate.. whatever!
    viva la cuba!

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 13, 2013 10:04:56 AM

25. @ iban4yesu,

Shill or you just don't get it? I'm trying to figure out which.

"Hater's gonna hate..whatever!"..What are you, a 15 year old teenage girl?

Posted by: ratbastard | May 13, 2013 10:17:30 AM