Jason Collins | News | Piers Morgan

Piers Morgan Interviews Jason Collins' Ex-Girlfriend, Asks if He Apologized to Her: VIDEO

Moos

Last night Piers Morgan interviewed Jason Collins' ex-girlfriend of eight years Carolyn Moos (a former WNBA player), about her reaction to the news that he is gay.

Said Moos: "He actually called this past weekend and we spoke a couple of times on Monday, so it's really fresh in my mind. It's going to be a process, absolutely, and it just takes a lot of perspective, and a lot of understanding, and a lot of open conversation."

Asked Morgan: "Did he apologize to you?"

Replied Moos: "I think he's in the process of taking ownership of the here and now which is actually coming out. That can be very – I assume – overwhelming."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I suppose that getting involved in a romantic relationship, knowing you are gay, isn't kind to the woman. On the other hand, lots of gay men have been told about their homosexuality being a phase. Lots of gay men are capable of straight sex, and want desperately to have the "normal" life of straight people. I can give Collins a pass on perhaps having a confused and chequered romantic life.

But in the end, no one ever apologized to me for being a homophobe, and there are thousands of that sort I have experienced in my life. I am waiting. (crickets)

Posted by: candideinnc | May 1, 2013 10:17:07 AM

2. Piers Morgan is a twit, but Carolyn Moos is really classy.

Posted by: Voet | May 1, 2013 10:20:48 AM

3. @Voet, I hope your post is sarcastic. I really don't think it's very classy to appear on TV and discuss your personal relationships in public. She was very mature, but classy? I wouldn't go that far.

Posted by: Jack M | May 1, 2013 10:29:17 AM

4. Using women as a "beard" is wrong. If they're in on it, like Katie Holmes was, that's their deal. Who's at fault - the users or society? I was a closeted teen, living in a small town, in the late '80s. I saw guys using girls in this way but even then it was never an option for me. I felt it was wrong to toy with someone else's feelings and emotions for my own personal gain. Still do. I hope Carolyn Moos and Jason Collins both find people to love, and I hope they can maintain their friendship. It seems there's still a lot of love there.

Posted by: Gigi | May 1, 2013 10:38:52 AM

5. As I understand it, Collins and this woman haven't been together for about four years. It's not like he suddenly broke up with her last week when he publicly announced "I'm gay." So why is this newsworthy other than some weird attempt by the media to show us a "victimized" heterosexual? WTF does Jason Collins have to "apologize" about to her?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 1, 2013 10:48:28 AM

6. classy: not
    mature: hardly
    well spoken: certainly

imho: if you've 'dated' for 8 years and the relationship hasn't brought you your 'dreams', your dreaming or in denial. whatever their relationship was, it functioned o some level for both parties during that period of time.

and since the 'break up' was 4 years ago, are the press and paps not going to trash pick through Jason's life for other tidbits?

build 'em up, bring 'em down. the american way. but when and if Jason finds or shares a MSM relationship, all the media outlets will be begging for the exclusive. and the profit.

Posted by: my2cents | May 1, 2013 10:55:34 AM

7. Never forget that La Piers has Rupert Murdoch's appendage embedded so deep in his throat that he can hardly speak.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 1, 2013 10:55:55 AM

8. If he was lying to her about being gay even though he knew he was gay, then he should apolotgize to her.

Regardless of his reasoning he was still lying and deceiving her, which is unacceptable.

Posted by: MaryM | May 1, 2013 10:57:21 AM

9. From what I've read about his coming out process he didn't really accept it or even acknowledge it until the lockout when he wasn't on a set schedule, so it's very likely he might have thought he was straight when he was dating this woman. They broke up 4 years ago so I don't see why he needs to apologize to her, unless he gave her some inkling he might want to be with her still after he realized he was gay.

Posted by: Derrick | May 1, 2013 11:06:15 AM

10. ?

does a prejudiced society apologize to US?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 1, 2013 11:07:51 AM

11. Hey MaryM, judgmental much?

Posted by: candideinnc | May 1, 2013 11:13:17 AM

12. Oh, geez, women and their sense of entitlement.

Do you think Mr. Morgan would ever have asked a lesbian who dated men whether she apologized to them afterwards for "deceiving" them?

What about lesbians who married men and had children with them and then left--often WITH the children--should they apologize to their ex-husbands?

And has Mr. Morgan ever heard of bisexuality? Has he ever heard of "situational" sexuality? Has he ever heard about people's sexuality changing over the course of a lifetime?

I am sure he has, but I guess the need to keep WOMAN on a pedestal--as the emotional centerpiece of all men's lives--overrides all such considerations.

And what about our "poor little woman" here--does anybody think she ever would have been dating Jason in the first place if he were not an NBA player with a big bank account? No, I am sure her motives were entirely pure, as they always are with women and their interest in men, right?

Posted by: Rick | May 1, 2013 11:16:31 AM

13. Piers, honey, refresh my memory. Jason Collins must apologize to this woman because......?

Posted by: jamal49 | May 1, 2013 11:19:23 AM

14. The only apology that should happen is from our messed up society that makes men, particularly athletes, think and act that they have to be "straight" even when they know in their heart they are gay. Apologize? Hardly. Of course, it is heart-breaking to be in a relationship that does not result the way one wants it to, but one should hardly have to apologize for being who they ARE. I was pissed off for Pierce asking the question that way, but I thought Carolyn Moos handled it well by never actually saying Collins "apologized" to her. So, yes, "classy".

Posted by: Jim Brown | May 1, 2013 11:25:44 AM

15. What an inane interview. By all accounts, Collins is a remarkably smart, conscientious and resilient guy. But he's 34 and it's obvious there has been massive self-deception and internal loathing going on for many years. He owes no one an apology. Society owes him one. Couples break up all the time and this happened well before this week, so the ex should be just fine.

Posted by: Josh M. | May 1, 2013 11:33:52 AM

16. Assuming you weren't raised by wolves, yes, you should apologize to someone when you deceive or hurt them. Because that's what decent people do. There was nothing wrong with Piers' question...it's just that it came from Piers who makes my skin crawl in general.

Besides, she seems to be a lovely, intelligent woman. I feel bad that her world was just rocked. Kudos to her for not making this a Jerry Springer moment and being articulate and showing support for Jason.

Posted by: daws | May 1, 2013 11:33:53 AM

17. @mary you might want to give him some slack for not going through with it. there are recovery groups for women who spend 20 or 30 years wondering what is so wrong with them that their husbands are so distant only to find out that he was desperately denying to himself that he was gay. there are many mainstream churches that still recommend the love of a good woman as the "cure" for same sex attraction, as the LDS church euphemizes it.

i convinced myself i was bisexual back in the 70's and married a terrific woman. we each gave it our best shot for almost 13 years, before i nearly drank myself to death dealing with the truth. we parted ways, i got help for my alcoholism, have been sober for 30 years, she has been married now for 20 years having gone into that marriage a much more fully developed woman. i made my amends with her, but the deceit was foisted upon me as much as her. we both got lucky, and have remained somewhat distant friends, having moved on.

Posted by: bandanajack | May 1, 2013 11:38:02 AM

18. It's simple: Apologies--or lack thereof--within a relationship or an ex-relationship shouldn't be of concern to anyone who wasn't directly involved in the relationship. The sense of entitlement comes from those who presume they have the moral authority to decide what's right for the personal relationships of others.

Posted by: Ernie | May 1, 2013 11:41:16 AM

19. We're born into the Closet, we're not the ones who need to apologize for having to lie to be treated like human beings.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 1, 2013 11:46:36 AM

20. Yes, way back in the dark ages of 2009, nobody could reasonably expect a young boy at the tender age of 30 in the anti-gay hellhole of Massachusetts not to use a woman to appear straight.

Posted by: Merv | May 1, 2013 11:48:43 AM

21. well, some of you on here still don't want "everyone" to know that you're gay. so clearly some of y'all can empathize, right? exactly.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 1, 2013 11:52:05 AM

22. Jason Collins has nothing to apologize for being born with a homosexual orientation. But society has a lot of apologizing to do to gay people for fostering and promoting homophobia against them.

Posted by: Darren | May 1, 2013 12:08:03 PM

23. SOCIETY HAVE WRONGED HIM BUT CAROLYN MOOS DIDN'T.

ACCORDING TO THE STEP STEPHANOPOULUS INTERVIEW, COLLINS SAID HE KNEW HE WAS GAY AT A VERY YOUNG AGE. OBVIOUSLY, HE USED HER AS A HUMAN CLOSET. HIS ACTION DIRECTLY AFFECTED HER. TO DEFEND HIM BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF US GAYS IS JUST AS BIGOTED AS HOMOPHOBES DEFENDING ANOTHER HOMOPHOBE’S ACTION. NO ONE IS POINTING A GUN TO HIS AND MAKE HIM APOLOGIZE, BUT IF HE WERE TO BE ENSHRINED AS A HERO AND HE HIMSELF SAID HE WANTED YOUNG GAYS TO LOOK UP TO HIM, HE SHOULD TRY HIS BEST TO AMEND HIS ACTION.

Posted by: PE | May 1, 2013 12:50:14 PM

24. She sounds great, though. She and Jason will remain friends and that's so, so good. Both she and Jason are intelligent, thoughtful people. They'll both be fine.

Posted by: Geoff | May 1, 2013 1:00:10 PM

25. The only thing he might consider apologizing for is that he said that in his career he was too busy to give thought to a personal life one way or another. That he was dating someone for 8 years makes that a tad insulting to her.

Posted by: Paul R | May 1, 2013 1:10:27 PM