Adrian Peterson | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News | Sports

NFL MVP Adrian Peterson 'Not With' Gay Marriage

Amani Toomer and Bruce Murray interviewed Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, the reigning NFL MVP on Thursday, asking him what his feelings are about same-sex marriage:

Peterson"To each his own, (but) I’m not with it. I have relatives that are gay. I’m not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love them. But, again, I’m not with that. That’s not something I believe in. But to each his own."

Peterson also commented on the recent loss of his teammate, outspoken punter Chris Kluwe, and said that he didn't believe it was Kluwe's views which led to his dismissal:

"It hurt me to see him leave. He was a good friend of mine and a really cool guy – probably one of the smartest guys I’ve ever been around. (He’s) different. I’m sure the Vikings organization didn’t release him based on [his gay rights advocacy]. They’ve been knowing him for a long time. They know he’s outspoken."

Comments

1. Those types of answers make no sense whatsoever. Sorry, but it just sounds like the kind of nonsensical ramble that one makes because they're worried about....well...people thinking that they're gay.

you're not with it. you're not with it. it's not something you believe in. you have gay relatives that you're not biased (?) towards. you're not with it.

you're right. you're not with it, at all.

and by IT i mean the 21st Century. Or even the late-20th.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 27, 2013 1:36:09 PM

2. This is the "some of my best friends are black" argument recycled. How clueless are these guys? Maybe this is a good example why even professional athletes need to complete their educations.

Posted by: Jeff Atwood | May 27, 2013 1:44:08 PM

3. Maybe he's into "hot lesbians" instead of gay guys.

Posted by: Adam | May 27, 2013 1:48:20 PM

4. Sadly Ironic - Kluwe has done more for Peterson's gay relatives than Peterson himself has.

I think what's sad is that some guys still think that being supportive will make folks think that they're gay, themselves. Which is odd, considering we all know that the Outfit of Choice for Closet-Cases is the "Anti-Gay Male Who's Grossed Out by Gayness."

People have been so conditioned to have a knee-jerk negative response to "gay" anything - and it is indeed a conditioned response.

Thankfully, the more folks that come out as lgbt and the more folks that come out as our ALLIES - the sooner this nonsense will fade away.

Shame, though. He's a very handsome man. But ignorance is a boner-killer.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 27, 2013 1:49:50 PM

5. Firstly let me say happy Memorial day to everyone. Secondly, I will be starting my own blog on August 28th (my wedding annversary). It will be about a young Christian mother and wife, and my daily struggles of trying to live up to Christian ideals in the deep-blue state of MA. It will be called Blue State Mom for Christ. I hope everyone on this site will read it. Jesus is the only answer. I will post a link here as soon as possible.

Posted by: helen | May 27, 2013 1:50:16 PM

6. That is, if my husband lets me. He beats me terribly every day if I don't please him as the Lord commands me to do. But it's ok. Because with every punch in the snatch that I take I know it's bringing me closer to God.

Posted by: helen | May 27, 2013 1:57:29 PM

7. Read this a few days ago (Out sports, maybe) and was again upset at the way these interviewers are approaching LGBT civil rights.

'Do you believe in SSM?' will get an entirely different response that 'Do you believe in equality under law for LGBT citizens?'

Peterson's 'I'm not with that' sounds like an affirmation of his own heterosexuality; as though the issue was resonating to him solely about the sex act(s) itself and not about the legal issues of discrimination.

Posted by: JONES | May 27, 2013 1:58:00 PM

8. Maybe someone should remind Mr. Peterson of the days when African American males weren't allowed to vote or marry a white woman. His current mindset goes right along with those long outdated beliefs.

Posted by: Never foret. | May 27, 2013 1:59:42 PM

9. He may not be into gay marriage but he's sure into non sequiturs and nonsensical contradictory statements.

helen, girl, we're counting down the days till we have access to your blog insights! Maybe Jesus will guest blog?

Posted by: Ernie | May 27, 2013 2:03:39 PM

10. Man's entitled to his personal opinions. Hating on him isn't go to change his mind, that's for sure.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 27, 2013 2:04:14 PM

11. Do we ask plumbers their opinion on health concerns? Do we consult auto mechanics about filing tax returns? Do we request that our congressional representative offer his opinion on whether to go with matte or gloss paint in the kitchen? No. Why do we care what people whose likely sole talent is a sport think about public policy and civil rights? They're not paid to think.

Posted by: OP | May 27, 2013 2:22:03 PM

12. I agree! I'm just not with this whole gay marriage thing. And while we're at it, I'm really not with this whole colored-people-everywhere-you-look thing. America was so much better when Negroes knew their place. And now it's the Mexicans! I'm just not with it.

Posted by: rikjake@gmail.com | May 27, 2013 2:29:12 PM

13. We care because like it or not there are a lot of kids and young adults out there who look at these people as role models. If I was a young teen who was struggling with my orientation and I was a fan of Peterson's, I'd like to know how he feels about gay people and gay marriage.

Also I'm really tired of people trying to treat athletes like complete idiots. A lot of those who are in the major leagues were sought out in college, which means they do have some college education. I mean look at Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo, why is it when they speak there opinion is accepted but if we hear something we don't like, they should just keep their mouths shut. It's rather hypocritical if you ask me.

Posted by: Derrick | May 27, 2013 2:31:35 PM

14. Ratbastard, a homophobe apologist that lives up to his screen name.

Posted by: MateoM | May 27, 2013 2:32:48 PM

15. Men who wear purple: Liberace, Prince, Minnesota Vikings.

Posted by: Kev C | May 27, 2013 2:38:34 PM

16. Still not allowed to talk about blacks and their anti gay bias, are we?

Posted by: Frank | May 27, 2013 2:50:21 PM

17. No, Frank. Because generalizing an entire race of people is ignorant and a waste of time.

Posted by: MateoM | May 27, 2013 2:58:01 PM

18. Seriously - who really gives a crap what he thinks? He is entitled to his opinion and that he has one is better than most who stay silent. So he's not down with that, I honestly thing that the more of a big deal we makle of things the worse it gets and yes I am at the point where even I am uncomfortable with the commentary on gay and ant-gay, and I am gay. Makes me feel like we have gone WAYYYYYYY beyond what is acceptable and tolerable by eve tne more liberal folks. Where do we draw the line between fighting for rights and being just a bunch of annoying gay people?

Posted by: david from Edmonton | May 27, 2013 3:00:23 PM

19. ratbastard: Nobody is hating on him. He has the right to his opinions, and the rest have the right to disagree with him

Posted by: jjose712 | May 27, 2013 3:00:58 PM

20. aaaaand, cue the cowards with no spines who worry about angering anti-gay folks.

you guys need to grow a pair of orbs. STAT.

nobody is saying that he isn't "entitled to his opinion", you wimps - it's that his "opinion" is so categorically stupid that trying to figure out what the heck he actually means is a waste of my thought process

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 27, 2013 3:08:53 PM

21. Shout out to Chris Kluwe:

Time to give your good buddy Adrian a call.

Explain to him how marriage equality is not about 'personal opinion' but is instead about civil rights. He's living under the delusion that he's not 'biased' against his own relations.

Side note
    Read comments about Peterson's statement at ESPN or CBSSports.
    Whew! Crap on a stick.

Posted by: JONES | May 27, 2013 3:11:53 PM

22. He was asked a question, and he answered it honestly. Period. I'm so tired of people getting bent out of shape when athletes/celebrities are ***ASKED*** about gay marriage, or gay teammates, and they give an answer that isn't 100% compliant, surrendering or allying. If Peterson had went out of his way to bring the subject up just to slam it, that would have been different...but he was asked a question. Hell, his comments weren't even antagonizing or hateful.

I hope he doesn't apologize, or "clarify" his comments to sound more moderate or friendly. People need to pull up their big boy pants, develop thicker skins and realize that not everyone is going to be their supporter...nor do they have to. And in the meantime, Peterson's not being a gay marriage ally doesn't automatically make him an oppresser by default. The "you're either with us, or against us" mentality is obnoxious.

Posted by: Chance | May 27, 2013 3:13:44 PM

23. "I'm not into interracial marriage, y'know. Why? I don't know I'm just, y'know, not with that."

An ignorant uneducated sportsman? Holy mackerel! Whatever next??

Posted by: danswon | May 27, 2013 3:16:15 PM

24. @Chance
    Adrian Peterson is the NFL MVP.
    People follow and look up to him. Young people emulate him.

His statement is all over the web today being praised for 'standing up to the liberals, and the gay fascists'. Whether he meant it that way or not. When these things are presented to him he may in fact realize how something he said and may not have meant to be harmful can get used badly by haters.

And. His is a statement that needs clarifying. The way it was asked was frivolous. The underlying issues were never mentioned. The interviewers themselves need educating to take their job to a higher standard.

Posted by: JONES | May 27, 2013 3:26:13 PM

25. @Chance...... You say:

"Peterson's not being a gay marriage ally doesn't automatically make him an oppresser by default."

Yes, it does. Being against legal equality is kind of the definition of bigoted and oppressive.

Posted by: anon | May 27, 2013 3:27:30 PM