Alec Baldwin Explains His Latest Twitter Rant, Apologizes For Using ‘Queen’ Slur

Baldwin 1

On Friday, we reported that Alec Baldwin had deleted his entire Twitter account after unleashing a tirade against a Daily Mail reporter in which he characterized the reporter as a "toxic little queen" and called on his followers to "straighten out this f*cking little bitch." The rant occurred after the Daily Mail incorrectly reported that Baldwin's wife, Hilaria, was tweeting from James Gandolfini's funeral.

Now, Baldwin is speaking up about the incident and attempting to apologize for his language. The following is taken from an interview Baldwin did with Gothamist later that day.

Says Baldwin:

Baldwin 2"The idea of me calling this guy a 'queen' and that being something that people thought is homophobic…a queen to me has a different meaning. It's somebody who's just above. It doesn't have any necessarily sexual connotations. To me a queen…I know women that act queeny, I know men that are straight that act queeny, and I know gay men that act queeny. It doesn't have to be a definite sexual connotation, or a homophobic connotation. To me those are people who think the rules don't apply to them. This guy could blatantly lie, I mean blatantly lie about my wife on the internet and there are just no rules that apply to him, but that's outrageous to me….if what I said offended everybody, that obviously wasn't my intention. I'm not interested in offending anyone. If homosexuality was an issue for me, I would have moved out of New York years ago. I find that laughable."

Baldwin also released a statement to GLAAD, saying "I have worked, periodically, with numerous marriage equality organizations, especially over the past couple of years, to achieve the very rights that gay couples are earning by recent court decisions. I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia. As someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize."

GLAAD Vice President of Communications Rich Ferraro replied to the apology sent to GLAAD with the following:

"Alec Baldwin is making it clear that the intent behind his tweets does not excuse his language, especially at a time when there were 11 incidents of violence against gay men in New York City just last month. As we all work to end such senseless acts of violence, allies like Baldwin are right to use these moments to reinforce support for the community and LGBT equality."

Comments

1. Mike Ryan says

Sorry, don’t buy it. Even though I think Baldwin is a fine actor as far as I am concerned I won’t watch anything he is involved in. It is well know that the entire Baldwin clan is and has been very homophobic.

2. Mike in Houston says

Sorry, but not giving this supposed ‘ally’ a pass on this… And GLAAD once again show that sucking up to folks on the red carpet is more important than calling bullsh*t on folks like Baldwin.

3. petensfo says

Taken together, the 2 tweets show at the least, that homophobic language greatly permeates and influences society.

Spoken in anger? Yes… but. I don’t care how “down-with-the-gays” Alec is, he still threw us under the bus with his reference to anal sex & that his offender would love it too much.

Sorry, Alec. I really like you, but you’ve got some thinking to do.

4. Jeff says

It’s possible there may be some self-loathing involved here. Maybe he’s Lloyd Boy-Toyed, the bisexual star in Ted Casablanca’s old EOnline column blind items. Baldwin was the top suspect at the BlindItemsExposed site – all the items & best guesses are at this link:

http://www.blinditemsexposed (dot) com/search/label/Alec%20Baldwin

Or maybe, given this & his comment a few years ago that another reporter was a “goat-footed, wheezy old queen,” he was once kicked up the butt by a wheezy goat.

In any event, the guy seems to have some serious issues.

5. bandanajack says

alec baldwin has a rotten temper, and when he goes off, he seems to plumb the depths of his vocabulary. do i think he is homophobic? not for a second. do i think homophobic vernacular, quite possibly learned from some of those self loathing bitchy old queens of my generation who most assuredly would have said much the same.

i think he needs to work on his ‘think before you speak/type’ training because his fans are getting tired of apologizing for him (remember his tirade at his then 12 year old daughter). as for a family trait for homophobic comments, that’s bogus. there is only one phobe in that family, and that’s the no talent stephen.

oh yeah, and that was a crap, defensive apology. no one has to explain the slang for queen to us, we, and everyone else, know what the pejorative queen implies. i call bs on that.

6. Ralph says

He justification only confirms what I thought. He is not homophobic. He’s a misogynist. A “Queen” needs to know her place. Under the king. It is not about homosexuality as some are alleging. Yes, he is referring to a man as a woman. Denying him of his masculinity is not homophobic. As he stated, straight men can be deprived of masculinity too. It is to imply that woman are not equal to men. As a gay man, I understand the difference and know that both need to be overcome. Until we learn what labels mean, we can not throw them around liberally. It is the same as conservatives using communist/socialist and fascist interchangeably. They are very different and if we don’t learn to use them correctly, we can not over come the problem.

7. Charles Decker says

Turning off his Twitter account is the smartest thing he’s done since signing on with Tina Fey in ’30 Rock.’ Now just shut up!

8. Derrick from Philly says

The only thing I’m convinced of is that Baldwin is mentally ill. He has far too long a record of anti-social, borderline-violent behavior to be ignored. And he has been down this road before, directing the ‘queen’ insult at a Starbucks barista.

You have to wonder how (or IF) he contains that rage at home behind closed doors. I hope his new young-ish wife got a fair pre-nup, because I would suspect that it’s just a matter of time before his psychotic rages turn violent, and she and their new baby become physically threatened. Baldwin will just be a blue-eyed O.J.

9. UFFDA says

Alec Baldwin has an occasional temper tantrum. That’s all. He’s a good guy nevertheless and I think his rants are often hilarious…”a toxic little queen” for instance. I think he’s kind of fun to put up with too, a dude with lots of strong opinions, able to get into a good one without backing off with a mouth full of mush. Leave him alone.

10. ratbastard says

Sure, whatever. Like there are no gay or str8 ‘toxic little queens’. That’s a nice put down BTW; I’ll have to file it away for future use.

However, Baldwin does sound like he needs to control his impulses and temper.

==============

Toxic Little Queens would be a good name for a band. TLQs for short.

11. Eric says

You can’t get away with saying on that you use the word “queen” in a totally non-homophobic way, and also say that someone would “enjoy” getting a foot in the ass, which is clearly a dig at sexuality. This isn’t his first time he’s been called out for using homophobic language. He’s got a rage problem, and when it comes out, so does his inner Mel Gibson.

12. Maguitac says

We all know why Alec Baldwin keeps losing his temper:

Because of his Schweaty balls. They itch like a mofo and make him act like an a**hole.

13. Brian1 says

Fireblazes has the funniest comment of the day, but Eric’s is the most accurate. It is theoretically possible, though unlikely, that he used the word queeny to mean arrogant, aloof etc, but the foot in the ass followup is a clear gay dig. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t really know the sexual orientation of the reporter, so I think this was his version of calling the guy a f_ggot as a generic putdown (while at least remembering to avoid the radioactive word)

14. Gary says

Since the Supreme vote I guess we can hang our victim drag at the door. How many times can Alex Baldwin apologize for things? Somebody “upstairs”– where ever that is, gave him a pass. Speaking of passes, I hope GLAAD’s next target gets similar treatment, but now that we’re no longer an “oppressed minority” that may be a while. Worked like a charm.

15. Name: says

Can’t wait till he goes off on someone his own size and gets his butt whooped. He’s a hot headed homophobe. And Alec let us know exactly what you did that helped “achieve the very rights that gay couples are earning by recent court decisions.”

16. Maguitac says

This guy had threatened his daughter, his ex-wife, flight attendants, Broadway actresses, fellow actors, black photographer, queen journalist, paparazzi, and those are the ones reported…

How many more does it take before understanding that Alec Baldwin is nothing but an entitled fat bully?

17. I wont grow up says

This guy is a homophobic bigot, pure and simple. None of his apologizing can be believed he is an A-C-T-O-R (and not a very good one). He has anger problems, he has an explosive temper, he beats women, he is a bad father. If this man was a political conservative instead of a Hollywood liberal he would be crucified in the press and like Paula Dean, he’d be unemployed.
    Anyone who uses a term like “Queen” as an insult is a homophobic bully, like a 12 year old in a playground. He is clearly mentally unbalanced. He should be thrown on the dust heap of history along with all the other phonies in Washington and Hollywood.
    Glaad giving him a pass is criminal.

18. says

O K, we all know Alec has an anger problem; we all have problems and that’s not the worst.

Alec is a great supporter of LGBT causes with personal effort and money.

Forgiveness is such a beautiful gift to give to yourself, as well as your fellow man. Unless they happen to be republican. One must have standards.

19. Jeff says

So Baldwin’s got a gay insult slur credit card with no limit. His words go out to millions on the news. Is that worth it? It is his “support” or money we’re talking about? It’s open season faggots!

20. beaugard stevens says

Yeah, I think since Baldwin has shown support for the gay community and has probably slept with guys, he feels entitled to say these things when he is angry. That’s a problem with the whole philosophy of “If I am one, I can say what I want” that is continuously misused. But really, there should be some kind of repercussions beyond a slap on the hand or he is just going to do it again and again because that is how these people are. Only losing something that is valuable to them makes these people think twice before they say anything.

21. Max says

I love Mr Baldwin. He is our Ally who said some unfortunate things in the heat of the moment. And now he has apologized. Let’s move on and save our energies for the Real Enemies. Peace.

22. Armando says

He’s an entitled bully and a jerk. If he’s going to pay gay people for the right to insult them, he should do it in private and leave GLAAD out of it.

23. Check your egos at the door says

Oh, so now we have a stranglehold on the word “queen”, huh? Give it up guys. There are better words to be miffed about. We all know EXACTLY what he was talking about, and probably have used the word in EXACTLY the same way. Now, if on the other hand, he called YOU a queen….WELL! THE NERVE! He just doesn’t know you, now does he?

24. Derrick from Philly says

“Completely unconvinced by his non-apology. Perhaps Paula Dean has her own definitions as well?”

Not me posting. I’ve never used the English language so well…and don’t care to.

And, Rick/David Hagatha Hearne, did you spell ol’ Paula’s last name correctly? I thought it was Paula DEEN. Maybe it’s DEAN. Not that I give f.ck about it.

25. Jerry says

Alec has been a friend to the community and god knows that gays use the term “queen” as a perjoritive constantly, just look at the comment section of any gay blog, so who really cares. Stop being such uptight little queens.

26. Kevin says

Calling someone queen is not a slur unless you are one of those community hating “masc” gays who is offended by there even being queeny guys in existence.

Alec is a long time supporter of LGBT rights and did not mean anything against gay people, just the one jack ass gossip queen he was talking to.

Really sad to see anyone try to compare this ridiculous incident to the 30+ years of racism Paula Deen has been throwing at her staff.

27. Gusty Winds says

So Alec, why didn’t you address the Anal sex rant as well? That coupled with the word queen leaves me no doubt of the intention of your slur.