Bill clinton | DOMA | Hillary Clinton | Proposition 8 | Supreme Court

Bill and Hillary Clinton Praise Supreme Court Marriage Ruling

ClintonsFormer President Bill Clinton (who signed DOMA into law in 1996) and Hillary Clinton released a joint statement today on the Supreme Court rulings on DOMA and Proposition 8:

By overturning the Defense of Marriage Act, the Court recognized that discrimination towards any group holds us all back in our efforts to form a more perfect union. We are also encouraged that marriage equality may soon return to California. We applaud the hard work of the advocates who have fought so relentlessly for this day, and congratulate Edie Windsor on her historic victory.

Comments

1. Two self-involved, opportunistic snakes in the grass who have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for gay people in their entire damn lives.

Thanks are in order, though, to Republican Ted Olson....and to Republican Anthony Kennedy for making this win possible.

And thanks to Republican Susan Collins for making DADT repeal happen, while Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton sat on their hands and were ready to let it die.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 2:36:44 PM

2. @Rick Blinded by the right, uh? Log Cabins & GoProud ASSHOLES!

Posted by: Monrocsol | Jun 26, 2013 2:42:32 PM

3. Then again, the only thing I've ever done for gay people is to come online and blame effeminate men for my own inability to get laid, and ever step out of the closet.

You pathetic queens need to understand that this is a really tough day for me. Everyone is out celebrating, but I'm not because I'm in my fifties and am still not Out, so I think you're all to blame for that.

Just now I was looking out my window and saw some effeminate girly diva-worshipping twinks pirouetting down the street and cheering and hugging straight people, because everyone seems pretty thrilled about the news today. But I'm not thrilled, because every time the USA takes a great step toward social progress, it makes my excuses for being a cowardly closeted grown-adult even less valid than the day before.

Weep for me. Nobody else will.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 2:44:10 PM

4. Hahaha! Welcome to Obama's America, Rick. Guess you're staying aboard the thugs' sinking ship.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 26, 2013 2:47:24 PM

5. ^^^RICK:

Wow-you sound like a self-loathing, miserable old man who regularly tries to swill your hatred onto others.

Get up off your a*s for once, open the blinds, and take a walk outside into the sunshine and see the wonderful world we have. And be thankful.

Without Obama, Clinton-and left up to the Republicans-we'd all be sitting around just as miserable as, well, YOU.

It's a Happy Day!

Posted by: jtramon | Jun 26, 2013 2:48:33 PM

6. No. The streets are filled right now with stereotypical effeminate diva-worshipping gay men who hate masculine men like me who are so masculine that we comment on the internet telling people how masculine we are.

This is not a happy day. It's only a happy day for gay men who don't resent being gay and I completely resent being gay. Don't you realize that every time the government breaks down another barrier of anti-gay prejudice that I have fewer and fewere excuses to continue being such a complete and utter wimp?

And by the way, I am also very unattractive and I've been told I smell like rotten cabbage.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 2:51:38 PM

7. But they don't mention that Bill signed DOMA in the first place.

Republicans have learned that they should always support the far-right parts of their party, no matter how outlandish. Democrats consistently aim for the middle. The result is that we keep drifting further and further right.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 26, 2013 2:54:51 PM

8. So back on the topic; after watching Bill and Hillary dance next to Melissa Etheridge and her (then) partner at his inauguration, then the very next week, sign DOMA into law, I realized we (gays) were only there to get him the votes and nothing more. That long with his his "Don't Ask; Don't Tell". He's done just so much for us.

Hypocrite comes to mind.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 26, 2013 2:59:08 PM

9. Actually, this is a happy day for the very tiny percentage of gay people who form committed relationships and who, by doing so, seek to be a part of the social mainstream.

Neither the Court, with this verdict, nor society in general, have put their stamp of approval on the kind of shiftless, dysbunctional, self-destructive, socially marginal lives led by effeminate, "gender-non-conforming" individuals, whose severe emotional damage prevents them from having anything resembling a loving relationship with another male human being....and who will therefore, of course, never even be in a position to contemplate marrying someone.

Men who hate men and all things masculine are incapable of loving another man or attaching themselves to one for any length of time.

But for those handful of individuals who do behave responsibly and deserve to be accepted into the social mainstream, this is, indeed, a happy day.....

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 2:59:24 PM

10. @Red: DOMA was signed in to law in September 1996. Not remotely close to the Inauguration but clearly in the middle of his re-election. "You are entitled to your own opinion, not to your own facts."

Posted by: Brian | Jun 26, 2013 3:11:09 PM

11. Every day it gets tougher to tell "Real" Rick and "Parody" Rick apart.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Jun 26, 2013 3:11:39 PM

12. So, got a boyfriend or at least a friend to settle down with, Rick ? or are you like a pork product a Jewish Bar Mitzvah ?

Posted by: Teehee | Jun 26, 2013 3:11:58 PM

13. There are all these pathetic glittery twinks parading in the streets right now. It makes me sick. Don't they know that respectable masculine gay men sit at home on their computers hiding away from the world so that nobody knows that they're gay?

Just now, just NOW, I saw two girly effeminate gays kissing. Why has nobody told them that they're not allowed to fall in love and enjoy life? I'd go out and tell them, but I don't leave my house.

Ever

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 3:13:59 PM

14. Listen, you pathetic liberal effeminates. I'm in my mid-fifties and am completely closeted so I'm not terribly sane. Leave me alone and let me comment and speak my mind. If I stop doing this I'll be forced to accept that I've completely wasted my life while those pathetic effeminate girly gay men outside in the streets are enjoying theirs.

Do not, DO NOT, make me accept the reality that the men I was raised to loathe are enjoying their own lives while I'm hating every minute of my own. Not today. NOT today!

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 3:17:14 PM

15. When the rice and confetti have been swept away, the champagne long gone flat, many of us will find our lives have suddenly become not more free, but less.

Posted by: YouLikeMe! | Jun 26, 2013 3:20:15 PM

16. Love watching Rick get Rick-Trolled!

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 3:39:10 PM

17. One democrat who previously supported DOMA cheers its removal and Rick is all butt hurt. Three republicans support marriage out of thousands who violently oppose it and he's ready to throw them a parade. B!tch, please. Go back to fapping to your sweater vest signed by Rick Santorum you ignorant house f@ggot.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 26, 2013 3:39:52 PM

18. It's a bad day for gay guys like me who have put off marriage.

Throughout my 16-year live-in relationship with another man I have been able to put off the prospect of marriage by relying on DOMA as my rationale. There seemed no point in getting married even though it's legal in CT until the repeal of DOMA conferred federal benefits. Well now I've lost that reliable old justification. Any minute now my partner will be asking the proverbial question again. I'll have to think of something, but it won't be as compelling. Anyway, coming up with a fresh excuse for not wanting to get married is a great problem to have. :) Maybe it's time...

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Jun 26, 2013 3:40:50 PM

19. ...Because the pinnacle of Gayness is not finding a long lasting and loving relationship, but sitting in a gay bar for forty years pouring Chanpagne and Confetti on your self.

Posted by: YouLikeMe! | Jun 26, 2013 3:41:22 PM

20. Don't you pathetic liberal queens who are also effeminate and hate masculinity realize that I only come on here every day to make my stupid comments because it's literally the ONLY thing keeping me alive?

I have to look out my window and see these disgusting stereotypical effeminate girly gay men out celebrating in the streets and it just makes me sick. It's not FAIR that those effeminate little gender-nonconformists are out having fun and celebrating and I don't have the balls to do it. And yes, it IS their fault.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 3:44:34 PM

21. As if Clinton had nothing to do with doma. Coward

Posted by: rick scatorum | Jun 26, 2013 3:45:33 PM

22. Rick: don't you think it is time you stepped out, however tentatively, and sampled some fresh air as yourself, not who you pretend to be....it's not the swishy queens who give us a bad image with the right, but self-loathing individuals like you who condemn those of us trying to make the world a better place where YOU will not have to hide. Grow some and man up to who/what you are.

Posted by: Joey | Jun 26, 2013 3:55:14 PM

23. I don't need to do anything and I don't need to come out. Masculine men like me are not the problem, the problem are effeminate men who are not afraid of straight men. If you queens did what I did and pretended to be straight when you're out in public then anti-gay prejudice would not exist.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2013 4:02:05 PM

24. Now let word go forth :
    Scalia is a determined unreconstructed bigot.
    He MUST resign after his rant masquerading as a dissent

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 26, 2013 4:09:06 PM

25. I agree. I really don't give a damn what Bill Clinton has to say on this topic. If Anything the SCOTUS just bailed his opportunistic ass out of sling.

I say celebrate, but celebrate the countless LGBY folks and allies who actually made today possible. I don't wish to think of the Clintons on this day.

Posted by: Kevin F | Jun 26, 2013 4:14:04 PM