DOMA | News | Ralph Hall | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Texas Lawmaker Attends LGBT Pride Reception, Drinks, Realizes He's at Wrong Party

Hall
(twitter justin snow)

GOP Texas Rep. Ralph Hall, a DOMA supporter, wandered into the Victory Fund Pride reception earlier this week and had a few drinks.

The Houston Chronicle reports:

Of course, that was before the he realized he was at the wrong event. As it turns out, Hall and his staffers were under the impression that they were attending an event for a fellow congressman, an event scheduled for that same day. After being welcomed into the event and offered refreshments, Hall inquired about the congressman whom he was there to support. After being told that he was indeed in the wrong place, the longtime conservative quickly left the premises — that is, as quickly as a 90-year-old can physically leave a premises.

“At that moment I realized that this was not the reception I intended to attend, and I put down my glass, thanked the sponsor, and told him we would be leaving,” Hall said.

They add:

Following a Heard on the Hill article about the event mix-up entitled “Ralph Hall Lets His Hair Down,” Hall said, “I would just say that while I do have a good head of hair for a 90-year-old, I do not have the quantity of hair, nor the inclination, to let it down.”

MetroWeekly Political Editor Justin Snow caught him on camera, tweeting: "GOP Rep. Ralph Hall, a DOMA supporter, wandered into Victory Fund Pride reception. He seems to be lost."

Comments

1. "Hall and his staffers were under the impression that they were attending an event for a fellow congressman, an event scheduled for that same day."

Yeah, I'm guessing that that event is pertinent to several of his fellow Republican closet cases.

Posted by: John in Houston | Jun 14, 2013 11:11:31 AM

2. Probably went home to take a sponge bath and wash the cooties off. And have his stomach pumped, you never know what those gays put in their drinks.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jun 14, 2013 11:13:07 AM

3. I have nothing but contempt in the political arena for any Republican politician. However, Hall handled the situation well and seems to have a sense of humor about it.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jun 14, 2013 11:15:28 AM

4. Since he isn't able to know where he is at any given time, he is senile, therfore incompetent, and should be removed from office immediately.

I wonder if he noticed how normal all those gay and pro-gays were....

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 14, 2013 11:23:20 AM

5. He's got a good head of hair. That's the only positive thing I have to say about him.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 14, 2013 11:34:19 AM

6. The 90-year-old Hall, who is Chairman Emeritus of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology," said the "he's 'pretty close' to the views of his fellow Texan, Governor Rick Perry, in feeling that climate science may be an idea hatched by scientists to garner federal funding for their research." Typical.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 14, 2013 11:38:51 AM

7. 90? Lifetime politician?

Actually, he did handle it well. Although I'd like to ask him if he saw anyone with a tail and horns while he mingled.

And his staff mega screwed up.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 14, 2013 11:41:38 AM

8. Non news. This probably happens more often and not on the hill with all the events that must occur on a given day. He handled it well and passed on the opportunity to make anti-gay statements.

Posted by: Felix | Jun 14, 2013 12:05:29 PM

9. Am I the only one who finds a 90 year-old Congressman deeply disturbing?

Posted by: Gast | Jun 14, 2013 12:49:15 PM

10. FYI, Justin Snow is the political/White House/Congressional reporter for DC gay publication Metro Weekly.

Posted by: Billy | Jun 14, 2013 12:58:15 PM

11. “I would just say that while I do have a good head of hair for a 90-year-old, I do not have the quantity of hair, nor the inclination, to let it down.”

That says a lot about his character - more so than I think he intended. Poor stick in the mud, stuck in his ways, tyrannical old man.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jun 14, 2013 1:06:50 PM

12. Hold my hand or I'll fall down laughing. LMHROTF.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 14, 2013 2:08:03 PM

13. I wouldn't object to him being a 90-year-old, except for his 90-year-old concepts of justice and fairness.

Actually,--even worse--- his views may be older than his years....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Jun 14, 2013 3:10:44 PM

14. Congressman Hall has long been a supporter of equal rights for LGBTs in his district, insisting that they ALL be given a fair trial before lynching.

Posted by: Who Am I and Why Am I Here? | Jun 14, 2013 3:43:39 PM

15. You look at old people steps away from death like that, and wonder if they realize they're being given a chance to repent of their lifetimes of misdeeds and prejudices. Then you see them turn around and slowly limp off and you realize they're condemned to be stupid until they're no more than worm dirt.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 14, 2013 3:58:37 PM

16. Exactly, Rick. Just like those closeted-cowards who waste their lives hating effeminacy :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 14, 2013 4:06:48 PM

17. @Little Kiwi
    LOL. You were given a gift with that one. 'lifetime of misdeeds and prejudices'.
    Please tell me you didn't post Rick's comment yourself.

Posted by: JONES | Jun 14, 2013 4:12:17 PM

18. Nope, JONES, that was the real Rick...trying to act like a real human being. hump.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 14, 2013 4:14:32 PM

19. WHAZZUP, "ratbastard!" - YOU ARE ONE OF A FEW PEOPLE I TRULY MISSED DURING MY HIATUS. I HAVE BEEN KEEPING-UP WITH YOUR POSTS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 15, 2013 1:08:02 AM

20. Okay, I confess....I fed Kiwi that Fake Rick line just like I've been feeding him my ... well, never mind.

And he bit. Just like he bites my... well, never mind.

Posted by: Derrick in Philly | Jun 15, 2013 1:39:54 AM

21. Awww, how cute. An old drunk.

Posted by: Andy | Jun 15, 2013 4:35:33 AM

22. Proof positive, that there really IS no fool like and old fool is there?

Posted by: billmiller | Jun 15, 2013 8:50:58 AM

23. It's pretty well known that many anti-gay people are actually closeted, self-loathing, gays - they hate in others what they hate in themselves. Maybe, just maybe, this guy kinda WANTED to go to the gay event and "being at the wrong" event was simply his cover. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Posted by: John | Jun 15, 2013 8:58:22 AM