Anti-Gay Texas Lawmaker Attends LGBT Pride Reception, Drinks, Realizes He’s at Wrong Party

Hall
(twitter justin snow)

GOP Texas Rep. Ralph Hall, a DOMA supporter, wandered into the Victory Fund Pride reception earlier this week and had a few drinks.

The Houston Chronicle reports:

Of course, that was before the he realized he was at the wrong event. As it turns out, Hall and his staffers were under the impression that they were attending an event for a fellow congressman, an event scheduled for that same day. After being welcomed into the event and offered refreshments, Hall inquired about the congressman whom he was there to support. After being told that he was indeed in the wrong place, the longtime conservative quickly left the premises — that is, as quickly as a 90-year-old can physically leave a premises.

“At that moment I realized that this was not the reception I intended to attend, and I put down my glass, thanked the sponsor, and told him we would be leaving,” Hall said.

They add:

Following a Heard on the Hill article about the event mix-up entitled “Ralph Hall Lets His Hair Down,” Hall said, “I would just say that while I do have a good head of hair for a 90-year-old, I do not have the quantity of hair, nor the inclination, to let it down.”

MetroWeekly Political Editor Justin Snow caught him on camera, tweeting: "GOP Rep. Ralph Hall, a DOMA supporter, wandered into Victory Fund Pride reception. He seems to be lost."

Comments

1. John in Houston says

“Hall and his staffers were under the impression that they were attending an event for a fellow congressman, an event scheduled for that same day.”

Yeah, I’m guessing that that event is pertinent to several of his fellow Republican closet cases.

2. tinkerbelle says

Probably went home to take a sponge bath and wash the cooties off. And have his stomach pumped, you never know what those gays put in their drinks.

3. Jonathan says

I have nothing but contempt in the political arena for any Republican politician. However, Hall handled the situation well and seems to have a sense of humor about it.

4. Jack M says

Since he isn’t able to know where he is at any given time, he is senile, therfore incompetent, and should be removed from office immediately.

I wonder if he noticed how normal all those gay and pro-gays were….

5. Gigi says

The 90-year-old Hall, who is Chairman Emeritus of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology,” said the “he’s ‘pretty close’ to the views of his fellow Texan, Governor Rick Perry, in feeling that climate science may be an idea hatched by scientists to garner federal funding for their research.” Typical.

6. ratbastard says

90? Lifetime politician?

Actually, he did handle it well. Although I’d like to ask him if he saw anyone with a tail and horns while he mingled.

And his staff mega screwed up.

7. Felix says

Non news. This probably happens more often and not on the hill with all the events that must occur on a given day. He handled it well and passed on the opportunity to make anti-gay statements.

8. jakeinlove says

That says a lot about his character – more so than I think he intended. Poor stick in the mud, stuck in his ways, tyrannical old man.

9. TonyJazz says

I wouldn’t object to him being a 90-year-old, except for his 90-year-old concepts of justice and fairness.

Actually,–even worse— his views may be older than his years….

10. Who Am I and Why Am I Here? says

Congressman Hall has long been a supporter of equal rights for LGBTs in his district, insisting that they ALL be given a fair trial before lynching.

11. Rick says

You look at old people steps away from death like that, and wonder if they realize they’re being given a chance to repent of their lifetimes of misdeeds and prejudices. Then you see them turn around and slowly limp off and you realize they’re condemned to be stupid until they’re no more than worm dirt.

12. JONES says

@Little Kiwi
    LOL. You were given a gift with that one. ‘lifetime of misdeeds and prejudices’.
    Please tell me you didn’t post Rick’s comment yourself.

13. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

WHAZZUP, “ratbastard!” – YOU ARE ONE OF A FEW PEOPLE I TRULY MISSED DURING MY HIATUS. I HAVE BEEN KEEPING-UP WITH YOUR POSTS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

14. Derrick in Philly says

Okay, I confess….I fed Kiwi that Fake Rick line just like I’ve been feeding him my … well, never mind.

And he bit. Just like he bites my… well, never mind.

15. John says

It’s pretty well known that many anti-gay people are actually closeted, self-loathing, gays – they hate in others what they hate in themselves. Maybe, just maybe, this guy kinda WANTED to go to the gay event and “being at the wrong” event was simply his cover. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.