Iowa | News | Superheroes

Julius Carter Is The Real Gay Spider-Man

Spiderman

When Andrew Garfield recently posed the question: "Why can't Spider-Man be gay?", he was no doubt unfamiliar with Julius Carter, a young man living out this very fantasy in real life.

Once persecuted for his sexuality, Julius is now one of seven Spider-Man stuntmen for the blockbuster musical "Spider-man: Turn Off the Dark." But for Julius, swinging 30 feet above a Broadway stage at 30 miles an hour in a Spider-Man costume is not the most impressive or awe-inspiring part of his life, it's the journey he's made as a gay man overcoming adversity.

Julius' amazing story began the day of his Iowa high school graduation, when he was confronted by a villain that would have made even the Green Goblin envious.

Continue, AFTER THE JUMP...

From The Des Moines Register:

The Rev. Fred Phelps, renowned for his virulent demonization of gay people, had come from Topeka, Kan., to picket Julius' graduation with a band of Wesboro Baptist Church followers. That's because Julius was getting a Matthew Shepard scholarship, awarded annually by the Eychaner Foundation to three openly gay students.

At the time, Julius was also dealing with rejection from his parents, who belonged to a church intolerant of gays.

Spiderman2Fortunately, the Shepard scholarship allowed Julius to take theater and dance classes in college and "find my dream." After graduation, Julius moved to Chicago and joined a theater troupe. A year later, he received a role with various touring Broadway musicals such as "Movin' Out" and "The Color Purple. Along the way, Julius says that he relied on caring individuals for support.

He credits Rich Eychaner, the openly gay Des Moines businessman whose foundation sponsors the Shepard scholarship, both for mentoring him professionally and for being a surrogate parent and confidante, reining him in when he was doing something ill-advised. "He keeps me going, focused and obtaining new goals. He's so successful," Julius says of Eychaner. "I want to be like him."

Last year, Julius' dreams were realized when he beat out 399 other actors for the part of Spider-Man on Broadway. And while Julius is enjoying this new superstar side of life, he remains grateful for his Iowa upbringing and education, and for the solid foundation his "birth parents" gave him by teaching him to respect others and himself. "I try not to be a diva but remain confident and humble," he says.

A sentiment that Peter Parker himself would surely echo.

Check out Julius' full story HERE

You can also see Julius and the other "Spider-Men" show off their moves for the show's 2013 calendar HERE.

Comments

1. Congratulations to this talented young man. Wishing him all the success in the world.

Posted by: edwin/elg | Jul 11, 2013 11:40:25 AM

2. So proud of Julius! May his life be filled with happiness and love.

Posted by: Howard | Jul 11, 2013 12:29:50 PM

3. This is a great story. Julius could spit his web on me any day. Yes, I said that!!!

Posted by: THurts | Jul 11, 2013 12:42:32 PM

4. Damn faggot.

Posted by: Name | Jul 11, 2013 4:11:21 PM

5. Why don't comments like Name's get deleted immediately? Unacceptable.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 11, 2013 8:19:12 PM

6. Yknow what F YOU MATEOM AND UR CRAPPY ATTITUDE! GO SIT DOWN AND EAT A HOTDOG SIR! U. ARE A VERY BIG BED WETTER! PRAISE HITLER! PRAISE ALLAH! AWEWEWEWEWEWEWE! Hahaahahhha im just screwing with you man, just wanted to know what would happen if i postedthis, its an experiment im studying human psychology. Anyway mate, LONG LIVE TOWLERROAD!

Posted by: Name | Jul 11, 2013 9:29:11 PM

7. Btw, Thurts comment was much worse than mine imo.

Posted by: Name | Jul 11, 2013 9:30:18 PM

8. Good for him! And he should be damn proud of himself for being a part of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark. The show is absolutely magical and FUN! Plus, the music is fantastic! I am a theater fanatic; and I have seen Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark 5 times! I absolutely LOVE it! Thank-you Julius for giving me the chills and making me absolutely LOVE that show!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jul 12, 2013 12:37:26 AM

9. Good for him! And he should be damn proud of himself for being a part of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark. The show is absolutely magical and FUN! Plus, the music is fantastic! I am a theater fanatic; and I have seen Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark 5 times! I absolutely LOVE it! Thank-you Julius for giving me the chills and making me absolutely LOVE that show!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jul 12, 2013 12:37:26 AM

10. I got to know Julius during is time in Chicago, and he's just an amazing, kind, sweet guy. We've talked about his struggles growing up and the unwanted attention he received when facing his graduation and the Phelps wrath. He truly overcame some serious things, many I could not even fathom either having to deal with or surviving, I'm so happy for him. We don't get to talk much since his move to NYC, but a call is in order this week to let him know how happy his Chicago friends are for him. His personality, humor, and great outlook, will take him far. We always knew it would. And it's guys like this that you can't help but to be proud of. Humble he is. Way to go, Julius! You're deserving of this and the bigger and brighter things to come.

Posted by: Amar6 | Jul 12, 2013 12:44:38 AM

11. @Name - In every statement we make there is a shred of truth. I've found that racists and homophobes share one thing in common, they absolutely ENVY what they supposedly hate. Do us a favor "mate", try studying being a human being.

Posted by: Anti-YOU | Jul 20, 2013 4:58:10 AM