Ken Cuccinelli | Terry McAuliffe | Virginia

Ken Cuccinelli: Gays And Lesbians Still 'Harmful To Society'

Kenc
Yesterday, Republican State Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli reiterated his beliefs about gays and lesbians during a heated debate with his Virginia gubernatorial opponent Terry McAuliffe.

Politico reports on how Cuccinelli responded to a question by moderator Judy Woodruff in which she asked if he still agreed that homosexuality was “against nature and harmful to society":

“My personal beliefs about the personal challenges of homosexuality haven’t changed,” he said at one point. “What I want to do as governor is create an environment, including an economic environment, where every Virginian has the opportunity to succeed.”

“The notion that because I believe marriage ought to be protected, because I believe life begins at conception — just like hundreds of thousands of independents and Democrats — this isn’t just me, it isn’t just Republicans,” he said. “There are lots of Virginians, millions, perhaps, of Virginians, who share my sincerely held beliefs.”

He may not have seen the new poll released a few days ago which revealed that 50 percent of Virginians support same-sex marriage.

According to The Washington Post, pro-marriage equality supporter McAuliffe's stance on the topic: "On gay marriage, McAuliffe said he would sign a bill overturning Virginia’s ban on such unions if it reached his desk, but he said that was unlikely given the makeup of the General Assembly."

Watch a quick video recap of the debate, via The Washington Post, in which the parts related to gay marriage appear at the beginning, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. The only who who has a "personal challenge" with it is him.

And anyone who uses the phrases "sincerely held beliefs" needs to be punched in the face. As it matters how sincerely or deeply who believe in BS.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 21, 2013 12:33:18 PM

2. Millions of Americans believed in the 19th century that slavery was the best "economic environment". In the end, it was still wrong! So to is this belief on segregated homosexuals.

Posted by: MiKem | Jul 21, 2013 12:37:32 PM

3. STEVE, time to proofread what you write before you post it.

And Cucci Cucci, time to drop dead.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 21, 2013 12:40:09 PM

4. He's an amateurish caricature of a cartoon. Please.

Posted by: Geoff | Jul 21, 2013 12:45:43 PM

5. I guess taking care of my elderly mother for half the year, volunteering in my community, and paying my taxes is harming society. I would never had known until this man, who obviously had sex with a man sometime in the past and is ashamed of it, told me.

Posted by: homer | Jul 21, 2013 12:59:32 PM

6. I guess taking care of my elderly mother for half the year, volunteering in my community, and paying my taxes is harming society. I would never had known until this man, who obviously had sex with a man sometime in the past and is ashamed of it, told me.

Posted by: homer | Jul 21, 2013 12:59:32 PM

7. How exactly are homosexuals "harming" society? Do we emit more greenhouse gases than heterosexuals? Or every time a gay couple has intercourse, a baby seal gets clubbed to death?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 21, 2013 1:01:02 PM

8. I suppose non-gays who have to live in close-contact with gays are the ones who'd be feeling this "harm" the most, eh?

i wonder, then, why every straight person in my life, be it family or friends, are 100% supportive and are indeed visible and outspoken advocates; championing the LGBT communities and our right to equal rights and treatment, and fairness and love in society?

surely a big ol'MO like me would be harming them all, according to Cuccinelli. their lives destroyed, their...uh...employment stability dangling by a thread. their marriages meaningless. their lives with their families frought with fear and unhappiness.

so why ain't that the case?

oh, right. because people who aren't bigoted idiots aren't harmed by diversity: they're enriched by it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 21, 2013 1:06:55 PM

9. Anytime a politician refers to religion or their personal held beliefs should be a red flag that they never read the constitution. This should immediately disqualify them from the race. This is pandering to the religious right which is entitled to their beliefs but has no place in politic. It is time we draw the line and permanently remove religion from government.

Posted by: bructer | Jul 21, 2013 1:10:06 PM

10. Kenny C. is perfectly right. We ARE a threat to society. Specifically, we are a threat to the kind of Bronze Age society people like him are clinging to so desperately. Fortunately, more and more American citizens are figuring that out. Too bad Kenny-boy isn't, or can't, or won't.

Posted by: jomicur | Jul 21, 2013 1:21:41 PM

11. @Bructer - that's their typical-hypocritical game. they talk about the constitution, but don't actually follow or respect it. they talk about the bible, but dont' actually follow or respect it. talk about "smaller government", then support the exact opposite. freedom! liberty! except, not.

wanna know how to shut down a conservative in any, ANY, argument deal with specifics. they can't.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 21, 2013 1:23:54 PM

12. My "sincerely held belief," based upon the evidence presented, is that Ken Cuccinelli is simply parroting his Pope's unenlightened position. He's a social menace.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Jul 21, 2013 1:25:58 PM

13. We are a threat to his position in society

Posted by: MArk | Jul 21, 2013 1:26:05 PM

14. Then don't tax us. Ingrate.

Posted by: RMc | Jul 21, 2013 1:53:32 PM

15. Again, this men spend so much time thinking gays, I must wonder, why? Why are we in their minds almost all the time? Every time they open their mouths, it's about gays.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 21, 2013 2:11:07 PM

16. Evil, I know thy representative....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Jul 21, 2013 2:48:58 PM

17. The Ken Cuccinellis, Josh Mandels and Aaron Schocks of the world give me hope that we'll continue to have the goodness of rent-boy/wide-stance Republican scandals for years to come.

Posted by: kp05 | Jul 21, 2013 2:50:30 PM

18. kp05: I don't know that much about American politics but i don't think Ken Cuccinelli and Aaron Shock are in the same level by any means

Posted by: jjose712 | Jul 21, 2013 3:17:15 PM

19. I'm not exactly sure who the nelly boy in the picture is but I'm sure he'd make one hell of a bottom. Kinda sexy in a flamboyant kind of way.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 21, 2013 4:28:43 PM

20. ...He is now among the Catholic nutjobs like Santorum...spouting his "deeply held beliefs" prevent him from be inclusionary and forward thinking. Only irrational people support this type of obsolete wind-bag. Let's hope Virginia does the right thing in the end and take him out at the polls. You deserve so much better than this wing-nutery.

Posted by: thom | Jul 21, 2013 4:34:16 PM

21. this man is the dangerous one...when someone like Mr.Cuccinelli pushes anti-sodomy laws and is so focused on gays, watch out! If this is such a priority for him, what happens to real issues such as crime, etc?? Hopefully he can't win on such a narrow and negative issue......I guess the mission position is the only position in his bedroom....I don't even want to think about that........

Posted by: Bernie | Jul 21, 2013 4:39:20 PM

22. Cuccinelli is a first class All American scumbag.

Posted by: TCNNYC | Jul 21, 2013 4:43:09 PM

23. Cucci's anti-gay rhetoric is his "schtick," it's his "thing," just like comedians have their personal little bits or tag lines.

If it stops getting votes he'll drop it like a hot rock. Just like a comedian no longer getting laughs with "no homo" or gay jokes.

Posted by: his schtick stinks | Jul 21, 2013 6:11:45 PM

24. This guy is one evil scumbag. If he wins in Nov. Virginia is DOOMED!

Posted by: Petero | Jul 21, 2013 6:24:46 PM