Divorce | Gay Marriage | Muppets | Music

Kermit The Frog Sings A Marriage Equality Parody Of The Muppets' 'Rainbow Connection' - VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 4.04.56 PM

A funny parody video about marriage equality, divorce, North Korea, and the Pope, all sung to the tune of the classic Muppets song "Rainbow Connection."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Cute.

Posted by: Continuum | Jul 18, 2013 6:20:19 PM

2. I hate this. Kermit referencing the Pope & Kim Jong-un isn't much fun. This vid was designed to make gay people squeal with laughter and I loathed it.

Posted by: will | Jul 18, 2013 7:12:12 PM

3. Who committed this atrocity?

Posted by: Lymis | Jul 18, 2013 7:15:33 PM

4. But ... "Rainbow Connection" was already about marriage equality!

Posted by: BABH | Jul 18, 2013 7:27:40 PM

5. @Lymis and Will HATE MUCH?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 18, 2013 7:31:05 PM

6. Mike, really. We're just stating our opinion as everybody else is doing. If you're advocating for a "positive only" response forum, please say so.

Posted by: will | Jul 18, 2013 8:02:46 PM

7. @Will Frankly, darling, if you're looking for a criticism of homophobes-free forum, this definitely isn't it.

Posted by: Peter | Jul 18, 2013 8:32:22 PM

8. Um, I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I would have preferred a Disney-produced version. LOLs

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jul 18, 2013 9:47:30 PM

9. I thought this was quite moving. I did NOT laugh.

Posted by: Ed Kramer | Jul 18, 2013 10:09:26 PM

10. Inappropriate and sad....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jul 18, 2013 11:06:25 PM

11. I'll agree the idea was cute ... however - and it's a big however, I have a problem inserting beloved kid's characters into political issues where they don't belong. While I found the sentiment OK - not the execution (get divorced like me...really) And yes, I didn't like the magazine cover with Bert and Ernie either.
    >shrug< color me unimpressed ...

Posted by: wds | Jul 19, 2013 12:12:22 AM

12. Well, I enjoyed it.

Posted by: John | Jul 19, 2013 8:43:35 AM

13. "I have a problem inserting beloved kid's characters into political issues where they don't belong."

Like when the religious right attacks Spongebob, and Barney, and the Teletubbies as part of their faux outrage fundraising strategy?

At least Kermit the Frog actually *is* a gay character - "It's not easy being green" and "Rainbow connection" are pretty transparently gay songs, and Kermit is adorably uncomfortable with being hit on by girls.

Posted by: babh | Jul 19, 2013 9:27:29 AM

14. Anyone who complains about inserting "kid's" characters into "political issues where they don't belong" has obviously never seen the clip of Kermit and Miss Piggy firing back at FOX after some wing-nut went off on them and their last movie as being anti-capitalist, anti-oil company, etc. Piggy's line cracks up the whole room full of journalists:

Posted by: Dback | Jul 19, 2013 11:23:05 AM

15. OK, boys hold onto your hats, because here's something you don't usually see in the pie fights here in comments...the person you're talking about might actually agree with you.

My personal opinion was I didn't like the characters being inserted into political issues they don't belong ....

The firing back at Faux News was a defense of the movie ... a bit of a difference.

What the attacks on Sponge Bob, etc has to do with what I said I'm not sure...other than we (as in "teh gays") tried to co-opt Bob as as kind of a wet squishy mascot ...LOL That's what brought the RW into the waters.

To me simply because I didn't "like" the idea, didn't mean I disapproved of it. I tried to simply point out I didn't like the idea ... which in my lexicon is quite a distance from disapproval. But, as you folks are seeming to point out - maybe my lexicon failed me here? And yes, it probably did ... (gasps from the gallery)

The video was a cute idea, and I found the sentiment OK ... frankly, the execution was not so hot. (gay shoddy is still shoddy)

So, the fact that I didn't like it, to me, didn't mean I disapproved of it ... I just didn't like it. And yes, I have a problem with kids characters being put in spots where - here again read carefully - in my opinion they have no place... however, it's not a new idea to use them, it's not something that would "drive me away" from the issues and it certainly isn't something that will have me "harrumphing" into my morning coffee.

Posted by: wds | Jul 19, 2013 2:07:08 PM

16. There are so many positions from which to judge this video - a straight person supporting marriage equality might appreciate the world's most beloved and decent fictional character stating that no matter who you are you deserve to love and be loved and experience all the rights, joys and pain that come with it. Someone in the LGBT community might feel it's too soon, too important an issue, to address marriage - or divorce - through humor. There are many sincere gut reactions in the comments section here. It's been out a week now, and I'm curious if anyone likes it more or less on a second viewing.

Posted by: GlobaLuvin | Jul 26, 2013 11:29:56 AM