News | Russia | Tilda Swinton

BigGayDeal.com

Tilda Swinton Shows Solidarity with LGBT Community, Raises Rainbow Flag Near the Kremlin

Swinton

Tilda Swinton's agent Christopher Hodell posted this message from the actress on his Twitter account yesterday: "Please share this message from Tilda: 'In solidarity. From Russia with love.'"

The freedom to be LGBT in Russia has been under severe threat in recent months. Last week President Vladimir Putin signed a law banning "gay propaganda" which bars (and imposes fines for) gay groups, gay books and periodicals, LGBT Pride events, and other "promotions" of homosexuality. He also signed a law banning gay adoption by foreign same-sex couples.

Comments

1. Love you Tilda.

Posted by: Joel V | Jul 5, 2013 9:50:14 AM

2. She's wonderful for so many reasons.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 5, 2013 9:58:31 AM

3. Tilda is brave and appreciated for making this effort - and with a police car right behind her! Thank you Ms Swinton.

As for Russia...why bother with a nation which has perpetually staggered around in its own self-created muck. It's dispensible.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 5, 2013 10:04:49 AM

4. No nation is dispensable. They're all full of people who are just like the people everywhere else.

Posted by: Patrick | Jul 5, 2013 10:13:35 AM

5. I wanted to comment on this story but I end up having to comment on the troll's statement. I know I should know better but here goes:
    Human beings aren't unnecessary, UFFDA. I don't care how crooked the government in any country is, there are still innocent people who are stuck under the thumb of this hatred. The Russian LGBT are incredibly brave to fight this in the face of so much violence and adversity. Now that we are finally obtaining our full citizenship as LGBT people here in the US, we need to be aware of what happens to our LGBT brothers and sisters abroad. LGBT people need to be free everywhere, not just in the west.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jul 5, 2013 10:13:56 AM

6. Tilda's tons braver than Edward Snowjob

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 5, 2013 10:25:36 AM

7. It's "Christian Hodell"...

Posted by: Peter Orlov | Jul 5, 2013 10:27:26 AM

8. I know it's a minor thing and missing the whole point, but that's not the Kremlin, but rather St Basil's Cathedral.

Posted by: David F | Jul 5, 2013 11:32:27 AM

9. OK guys, some clarification. We should always be supportive of gay people everywhere, and we shall be. But Russia is still a basket case, as it always has been and should be visited with the contempt it has shown towards its lgbt citizens. I suggested the other day that lbgt people should line the western border of Russia in cities and campers and tents, right up close to it, in defiance of the government and church.
    And no one should go to the upcoming Olympics.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 5, 2013 11:34:28 AM

10. And Snowjob is infinitely braver than Ehrenstoned.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 5, 2013 12:02:24 PM

11. goddess

Posted by: gomez | Jul 5, 2013 12:04:36 PM

12. Errantsteen should go suck Bob Schieffer's ancient peenage.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jul 5, 2013 12:05:31 PM

13. Love Tilda. This is a great picture of her, too!

Posted by: Lucas H | Jul 5, 2013 12:07:31 PM

14. I knew there was a reason we liked your quirky cool style.

Posted by: rees cramer | Jul 5, 2013 1:04:47 PM

15. Rock on Sister Tilda!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jul 5, 2013 1:07:57 PM

16. Love you Tilda!

Posted by: matt | Jul 5, 2013 1:13:02 PM

17. Love you Tilda!

Posted by: matt | Jul 5, 2013 1:13:02 PM

18. I see someone is posting as me again. Sorry, David Ehrenstein, that Rick ridiculed you while posting as me. His efforts to damage my reputation have been futile and harmless, but he dragged you into it and that's not cool.

Back to the topic: Tilda is a truly wonderful person. This photo is fabulous.

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 5, 2013 1:29:11 PM

19. MateoM,

we knew it wasn't you.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 5, 2013 1:35:24 PM

20. For the record though, I think Snowden is hot. Espionage makes me horny!

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 5, 2013 1:41:41 PM

21. @MateoM: I know that's right, gurrrlfriend! An ounce of betrayal is worth a pound of fidelity! SNAP!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 5, 2013 1:43:16 PM

22. "For the record though, I think Snowden is hot. Espionage makes me horny!"

Posted by: MateoM | Jul 5, 2013 1:54:43 PM

23. She is so cool.

Posted by: Andy | Jul 5, 2013 2:11:02 PM

24. @Mateo: If it's so obvious, why do you have to keep pointing it out?

Don't you understand when you're being Rick-rolled?

Posted by: David Hearne | Jul 5, 2013 2:19:41 PM

25. @ "I didn't say this but bless you Rick when you make it so obvious it isn't me. Silly troll. "

LOL...you're right, MateoM.

You know Rick also created the blog persona David Hearne,the elderly ancient Gay retiree living down in Florida. The racist, anti-immigration David Hagatha Hearne.

Then on one of Hearne's postings he slipped and said he was 55 years old. Well, Rick stated on a number of occasions this year that he was 55 years old. When I confronted the old b.tch he said something about "investments" that allowed him to retire early. Oh, please...LOL.

But you know I must be as crazy as Rick (just with completely opposite political views)because I enjoy sparring and trading insults with that fictional old cow David Hagatha Hearne.

But lately "she" has been slipping--saying the wackiest things that don't make any kind of sense. Maybe Rick is beginning to believe he IS the elderly David Hagatha Hearne and dementia is setting in.

Andy, beware, your blog is turning into a mental hospital.(soundtrack from the the shower scene from the movie "Psycho" now)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 5, 2013 2:24:07 PM