Johnny Weir | News | Russia | Sochi Olympics

Johnny Weir Speaks Out About The Possibility Of Getting Arrested At Sochi: VIDEO

Weir

Out gay figure skater Johny Weir recently spoke with CBS News about the Sochi Games and Russia's anti-gay laws, re-iterating his intention to attend the Sochi Games: "Would the Olympics be in Saudi Arabia, in Palestine, in Pyongyang, North Korea, on Mars, I would go because that's what I'm trained to do and that's what I've devoted my life to."

Weir also commented on the prospect of getting arrested due to Russia's strict yet vague anti-gay laws:

"Like anyone I'm afraid of being arrested but also I'm not afraid of being arrested... If it takes me getting arrested for people to pay attention and for people to lobby against this law then I'm willing to take it."

Earlier today columnist and activist Andrew Sullivan espoused the necessity of gay civil disobediance at the 2014 Olympic games, urging people to disobey Putin's regime, get arrested and showcase the Russian government's true colors.

Watch Weir's full interview AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Yay Johnny!

Posted by: Steve | Aug 12, 2013 7:03:45 PM

2. I'm wondering what Ratbastard has to say about this. Weir has bigger balls than he does.

Posted by: David | Aug 12, 2013 7:05:16 PM

3. Weir is a goose. We don't care about you, Weir. In fact, I'd encourage the Russian authorities to arrest you on account of having an ugly face.

Selfish athletes take note: we don't care about your medals or your egos. If you don't boycott Sochi, you will be a party to the killing of Russia's gay youth .

Posted by: Brian | Aug 12, 2013 7:14:32 PM

4. Brian
    You must lead and ugly life. Why attack someone who is trying to make a difference?

Posted by: Jaysonn | Aug 12, 2013 7:17:35 PM

5. Weir would love the publicity. Putin Putin where he belongs.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 12, 2013 7:20:46 PM

6. Of course Johnny is a brave soul...no doubt...and I'm grateful that he uses his celebrity in any way he can to help the cause.
    Brian...take a cold shower today!

Posted by: Paul B. | Aug 12, 2013 7:25:33 PM

7. He look like Loki! in a lot of makeup! No wonder all the females love Hiddleston. Hiddleston and Weir could be twins. Except Hiddleston has never worn heels.

And at least Weir is honest. Even Jesse Owens went to the Berlin games, and look how that turned out. Instead of boycotts (especially after Beijing), be like the Allies in Berlin.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 12, 2013 7:29:47 PM

8. Johnny Weir is a loser who doesn't want to boycott the Sochi Olympics. He's protecting Sochi. What about the murder and bashing of gay activists? Weir is akin to a sh!t streak.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 12, 2013 7:30:07 PM

9. I feel sorry for the all the athletes who are caught in the crosshairs of this ugly mess. I think they should go and compete, do what they have dedicated there lives too (especially the skaters, what a grueling regimen!)
    I like this guy, he has guts, but I would respect him even more if he DID kiss his husband at his olympic performance. If you are for LGBT rights and you are a visitor or athlete in Sochi, you have to represent. Dare them to arrest you.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 12, 2013 7:37:19 PM

10. The boycott is a stupid idea would be of little significance but going and demonstrating would cause a big fuss

Posted by: Bob | Aug 12, 2013 7:39:19 PM

11. @Bob Demonstrating and being arrested vs. Boycotting their multi-billion dollar Olympics that has the world watching? Obviously boycotting would be better.

I think Johnny is selfish for only thinking about his career and not about the millions of LGBT Russians that are at risk.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 12, 2013 7:46:46 PM

12. Johnny is a very strong guy. But, Bears don't care and are stronger.

Posted by: barney | Aug 12, 2013 7:53:34 PM

13. I've said this before and I will say it again ... boycotting the Olympics will hurt no one but the athletes. The IOC has already received their licensing fees from every country and company involved. The only way it would work is if several countries completely pulled out .. but, they've already invested their money too. And spectators? Most of them won't be trying to get refunds from airlines and hotels etc.

It's like the vodka boycott. C'mon.

The BEST solution is what I have said and what Andrew advises go there and get arrested en masse. Can you see the hullaballoo when Weir makes some especially outlandish queer statement on the ice and the Russian police rush out onto the ice to arrest him? And not just Weir but every LGBT athlete and dozens upon dozens of spectators?

THAT would make a statement. THAT would hurt Russia badly because the sheep's clothing would be ripped right off and expose Russia for what it is ... a backwards, stodgy, unimaginative, conformist, fear-based country.

Posted by: Aaron Yeagle | Aug 12, 2013 8:04:04 PM

14. I'm constantly surprised that we are so willing to eat our own when our own do something that doesn't meet our approval.

Mr Weir is an incredible athlete. Skating is his job. Who among us walk off the job when our employers donate to conservative causes, don't provide partner benefits, or are lacking in non-discrimination policies.

While I wish that the IOC would take a strong stance against the horrendous anti-gay legislation and pull out of Russia, thus far they haven't. I wish Weir safety and success in Sochi and hope that his presence affords some visibility to the gay issues there.

Posted by: Mitch | Aug 12, 2013 8:09:43 PM

15. "For some reason his husband is unable to accompany him to the Olympics, wonder if it's because of this law? Johnny is an uncle tom."

I...don't think you know what an Uncle Tom is. First, his husband's last name is Woronov - Russian name. Second, they were just IN Russia together. His husband is a lawyer who's busy as hell and can't go to the Olympics.

Posted by: Robert | Aug 12, 2013 8:33:17 PM

16. Again, this is not up to the athletes to stand up. It is the athletes job to compete and win. If they do stand up ... fantastic, but this must be done on a larger stage.

This is the sole responsibility of the IOC and Putin. A 2 week hold on this law (if you believe that) is not acceptable!

The Cossacks (ie: citizen police from the orthodox church,) are already volunteering (1200 so far added) to help the "official" police force, and arrest ANY defiance of this barbaric law, subjective or not. This issue will be handled in the streets, not on the podium.

If this isn't a recipe for conflict, I don't know what is.

The IOC and the Russian Govt. will have blood on there hands if one single LBGT supporter, visitor or athlete is affected, arrested, fined or killed. Is this the legacy that the IOC wants?

Each and every board member will be held accountable.

Cancel the venue, and move the event to another host country or suffer the consequences.

Posted by: Will | Aug 12, 2013 8:34:42 PM

17. Olympic athletes are willing to cut the throats of their own kind as long as they can parade in the Olympics. They are self-serving and don't give a damn about their gay brothers and sisters who are NOT athletes. They should put their foot down and tell the IOC "we won't participate as long as the Olympics are held in Russia.."

But will they do that? Not on your life. Fame and glory is more important than any old anti-gay laws. The hatred for the Olympic athlete grows wider and stronger every time they step forward and say they can't wait to participate in the Russian Olympics.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 12, 2013 8:43:31 PM

18. Johnny is very brave. I know Russia will try to censure everything that goes down at the Olympics. But the world will be watching.

Posted by: Rafael | Aug 12, 2013 8:47:30 PM

19. How NOT AFRAID is he?

I for one will be SURE to tune in to see his performance. Though I may find any costume short short of a rainbow tutu disappointing.

Rock on Johnny Weir!

Posted by: fanboi | Aug 12, 2013 8:59:32 PM

20. Brian, it's easy for you to make statements against Johnny Weir in the comfort of your chair in front of your computer. I'd like to see you put your words to work instead of just hot air.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Aug 12, 2013 9:02:28 PM

21. Frankly, I am really glad to hear more and more intelligent people are speaking out against all this childish talk about boycotts, civil disobedience, etc. It's no secret that there is a certain population within the LGBT community that just likes drama...in any form. And I think all this crazy garbage about boycotts and such is a manifestation of that. These athletes have dedicated their entire lives to making it to the Olympics. Boycotting the very thing they've trained for would accomplish absolutely nothing except dash those dreams like a self inflicted gunshot. I'm glad Johnny and others have ignored all the crazy talk. As he said, if he gets arrested, it will have been worth it. Good for him!

Posted by: wheelie81 | Aug 12, 2013 9:02:57 PM

22. Yes, Johnny Weir is so brave to fly into Russia for two weeks and then fly out again. The waiting at the airport will be so oppressive of him.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 12, 2013 9:13:13 PM

23. I guess he's safe as long as he doesn't say or do anything pro-gay in public, which I think he said in an earlier tv interview, something along to way of him being there to skate not anything else....

loll @ Brian

Posted by: swingingbling | Aug 12, 2013 9:29:32 PM

24. Andrew Sullivan is not guaranteeing your safety. Russia has already warned you that their laws apply to you. You may be the only one arrested and detained and it may not be an international issue. Don’t assume you will just be deported. You may be deported after you’re held and made an example of, in a year or two. You may feel like a young rebel fighting for justice on the flight over but you may be feeling differently when you realize your new cellmates do not like people of your kind. Protest in your own country and demand your own government pressure Russia to change. You are unaware of how to protest in other countries, don’t assume anything.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 12, 2013 9:38:52 PM

25. I just finished watching Season 1 of Orange is the New Black. That's a minimum security prison. I wonder what they would put you in if you were arrested in Russia. I'd rather not find out. I will have great respect and admiration for anyone risking arrest in Russia during the games but I can't ask them to do it and I certainly won't pressure them to do it. If Sullivan thinks it's a good idea he should fly to Russia and join them. Otherwise it's unfair for him to ask them to take on that risk.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Aug 12, 2013 10:34:55 PM