Elisa Chan | News | San Antonio | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

San Antonio Councilwoman Defends Statement That Gays are 'Disgusting' - VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 8.03.06 PM

San Antonio Councilwoman Elisa Chan has issued her first public statement since a staff meeting recording emerged of her calling gays and lesbians 'disgusting' and unfit to be parents. The comments were recorded during a closed meeting over a possible update to the city's nondiscrimination ordinance to protect sexual orientation and gender identity.

Says Chan:

"The comments from the staff meeting on May 21st were and are my personal opinions and thoughts as guaranteed to me by the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution. It is unfortunate that a former member of my D9 Council team betrayed the trust of my staff members and me. I will fight, I will always fight for our freedom of speech, especially in a private setting."

Check out a news report of the story, AFTER THE JUMP...

While Chan's remarks have been condemned by Mayor Julian Castro and others, she has receieved backing from the San Antonio based Justice Foundation, a non-profit law firm that advocates for limited government and freedom of religious expression. Allan E. Parker, president of the Justice Foundation, defended Chan and warned that the proposed ordinance would criminalize those who express their opposition to homosexuality:

"I'm glad she's not resigning and I'm glad she's standing by her right to have her own opinion," said Parker. "That's the issue in this case. Will we be able to disagree in San Antonio or is one side going to be criminalized?"

One has to wonder if Chan and the Justice Foundation would still be the 'champions' of freedom of speech they claim to be if a fellow councilmember had directed animus towards Chan's ethnicity or gender...

Comments

1. The stupid, it continues to burn!

She thinks all her critics are trying to deny her the right to speak? She has no clue that the objections are to what she is saying not that she has no right to say it.

Another bigot trying to play the victim.

The voters should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Aug 20, 2013 10:44:03 AM

2. stand by stupid. yeah the extinct politician. the new woolly mammoth.

Posted by: m | Aug 20, 2013 10:44:44 AM

3. The real story here is that an elected official has no idea what the First Amendment is all about.

Posted by: Derek | Aug 20, 2013 10:46:30 AM

4. So the first amendment covers thoughts? Did I miss some new mind reading tech and a supreme court case or something.

Another conservative idiot. Another minority that in another place and time in the US would have had HER RIGHTS DEBATED.

Sad

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 20, 2013 10:48:01 AM

5. Well, I hate opinionated Asian bitches.

Does that make us even?

After all, it's my opinion and my rights.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 20, 2013 10:50:30 AM

6. "It's unfortunate that I was betrayed, but I stand behind my words because it's my right."

Yet again, a person who doesn't understand the First Amendment.

But asian bitches are like that.

Posted by: Tigerama | Aug 20, 2013 10:51:22 AM

7. its actually about her opinions and how they affect her sense of equality for the constituents she represents. If she were an open racist who said she thought black or Asian people were disgusting surely she would be fired because it would be thought that she wouldnt treat everyone equally ? It is actually about her ability to legislate with impartialiy that is in question. She can think what she wants to privately but she said this at work whilst discussing public policy.

Posted by: mike | Aug 20, 2013 10:53:27 AM

8. She certainly has the right to express her opinion, the same as I have the right to express mine, and the voters also have the right to vote her out of office.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Aug 20, 2013 10:54:17 AM

9. Write Elisa and let her know your thoughts! You will find her on Facebook and also at district9@sanantonio.gov.

Posted by: Wil | Aug 20, 2013 10:56:30 AM

10. I understand she's 'born again'. also. As 'what'? We must carefully destroy any larvae she may leave behind.

Posted by: Geoff | Aug 20, 2013 10:59:59 AM

11. Someone should ask Chan how she feels about the situation with gays in Russia, where they actually are being arrested, and worse, for their speech. Somehow, I bet she thinks that is a dandy law.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 20, 2013 11:01:27 AM

12. Asian people are disgusting!

Posted by: sscavuto | Aug 20, 2013 11:05:12 AM

13. Typical Christian morans. Nobody is talking about throwing her in jail. Which is all "freedom of speech" protects her from. Why don't so many Americans fail to understand that?

Posted by: Steve | Aug 20, 2013 11:09:17 AM

14. omg, all the racists on towleroad are out again!

smmfgdh

Posted by: redball | Aug 20, 2013 11:11:38 AM

15. It is not a 1st Amendment issue. She did not state this in public or even in private, really. She was in a strategy meeting on taxpayers' time; strategizing against a part of the constituency. She was scheming, and that is NOT a guaranteed right by the US Constitution.

Posted by: Lucca | Aug 20, 2013 11:11:39 AM

16. Poor, put upon, victimized politician. She is betrayed by her own words. She is free to say we are disgusting, and we are free to kick her sorry ass out of office. The "betrayal" here is the betrayal of her constituent gay and lesbian voters who expect public "servants" to work for them rather than sit in judgment of them. I will fight to the death for her right to freedom of speech, and I will do everything in my power to make her an unemployed bigot, despised by one and all--as she deserves to be.

Posted by: candideinnc | Aug 20, 2013 11:11:42 AM

17. How dare she use the Constitution to defend her statmeents! If she is in a staff meeting, she needs to be professional and keep those opinions to herself. What an ignorant, hateful woman. I wonder how she feels when people make racist comments against Asians?

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 20, 2013 11:14:41 AM

18. Dear Ms. Chan,
    You are a bigot and you are free to be as big a bigot as you want, but I also have freedom of speech and you are a hateful bigot.

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 20, 2013 11:16:38 AM

19. Her Facebook page is fully locked up. It appears she doesn't welcome the point of view of others in an open forum.

As someone who grew up in China, she should have a greater understanding and appreciation for the freedoms protected by the US Constitution and not abuse those freedoms in a attempt to silence her critics.

Oh, and she is an unintelligent bigot.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Aug 20, 2013 11:24:19 AM

20. Chan is disgusting.

Posted by: deke | Aug 20, 2013 11:25:14 AM

21. So, she says something in "private" during a work session and tries to intimate that her private thoughts have nothing to do with her job. What does she base her decisions on,then? Someone else' reasoning? She's a liar, a phoney, and rationally-challenged, which in toto makes her a bad leader and unfit for her job.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Aug 20, 2013 11:25:45 AM

22. All people running for political office should be required to take a basic civics/government course and then a more in-depth legal course pertaining to their state, city, or to the Federal government, depending upon the office they seek. This woman is an embarrasment to San Antonio, not just because of her views, but also because she does not seem to understand the basic parts of the Constitution that she's referencing.

Posted by: Jere | Aug 20, 2013 11:26:20 AM

23. SHAME on you Chan! You have shamed yourself, your parents, your race and should immediately resign. You are a disgrace!

Posted by: Joe | Aug 20, 2013 11:28:02 AM

24. This is exactly what we do not need in American politics... Chinese arrogance.

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Aug 20, 2013 11:30:36 AM

25. For bigots like Chan "Freedom of Speech" goes only one way: SHE'S free to speak and those who object have no right to answer.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 20, 2013 11:36:13 AM