Gay Sex Appeal | Health | News | Science

Most Young Single Men Have Filthy Beds: Study

A new study released by the UK mattress company Ergoflex recently revealed, after documenting the linen habits of over 2,000 British men and women, that young, single men change their sheets the least often, reportedly only doing so once every three months on average. Most also report only owning one set of bed sheets, as opposed to women who reported owning an average of three different sheet sets.

WeekendTime helped summarize some of the results of the study based on certain demographics:

"Single women reported swapping linens every two and a half weeks, while couples claimed to change sheets every two weeks. Of those couples, the study found 81% of those washing the sheets were women. Of the 2,004 interviewed, on average men admitted to owning only one set of sheets while women estimated around three selections.

"Though it’s clear that females are cleaner overall, the results found that age is a factor as well. For those who answered once every three months, 55% were ages 18 to 25 with men accounting for 71%, while those who claimed to wash sheets once a week were in the 35 to 50 age range. Of the weekly washers, 62% were female. Indeed, 17% of single men participating in the study admitted that partners found their unhygienic practices unnerving compared to just 2% of women."

DustmiteYoung mens' unclean bedroom habits can lead to a buildup of dead skin, dander, body secretions and bacteria, according to experts. Such a buildup can potentially lead to respiratory problems. According to Time, those same experts recommend that people change and/or wash their bed sheets once a week for that very same reason. “One person can perspire as much as a liter in a night—even more if you have a lot of covers,” said Philip M. Tierno Jr., director of clinical microbiology and immunology at New York University’s Langone Medical Center, to the Wall Street Journal. He also explained how fungal mold, fungal spores, lint, fibers, pollen, soil and cosmetics can all accumulate in the fibers of bed sheets. Those, along with other bodily residues, can potentially serve as food to microscopic mites, which can nest in your sheets and leave their feces behind.

Jed MacEwan, a spokesman for Ergoflex, told the UK's The Daily Mail how he was absolutely taken aback by the results. “We were quite alarmed at the apparent lack of basic hygiene from some respondents,” he said. The shade...

Comments

1. As a gay man, I was my sheets every week. This must be those pesky straights who would rather turn their underwear inside-out rather than wash them.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 26, 2013 7:01:17 PM

2. OMG, OK already, mom, I did my sheets today.

Posted by: Meah | Aug 26, 2013 7:03:05 PM

3. they only change them when they think they may get lucky

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 26, 2013 7:09:25 PM

4. lol i'm one of those young stinky gay men. i probably change my sheets once a month, sometimes every few months. i also have a boyfriend. he has never noticed lol. i guess when i'm out of college i'll care more.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 26, 2013 7:14:20 PM

5. This gay married couple (one older, one younger) changes the bedsheets every week. If we could afford the help, I'd change them every day. I looooooove clean sheets.

Posted by: TomTallis | Aug 26, 2013 7:17:17 PM

6. Why is there a picture from the movie weekend? It says young Single Men.

Posted by: James | Aug 26, 2013 7:26:19 PM

7. Wouldn't that start to smell? I grew up on a damned farm and even my mom changed our sheets every couple of weeks.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 26, 2013 7:38:55 PM

8. One more reason to avoid twinks, at least in their own racks.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Aug 26, 2013 7:52:05 PM

9. I just had a convo about this! My friend was saying that washing sheets once a month is fine and I was appalled! I change mine every weekend, 4 sheet sets to cycle through. He also mentiined he showers in the morning so I just know his sheets are funktastic! I never understood people getting home from a long days work, getting undressed and slipping under the covers without washing the day's filth away! I won't let anyone into my sheets without a before-bed shower!

Posted by: cdubois | Aug 26, 2013 7:55:33 PM

10. disgusting, change mine every week

Posted by: johnosahon | Aug 26, 2013 7:59:50 PM

11. since the study only dealt with UK men

UK single men have messy beds

no assumption can be made about all single men world wide till they increase the scope of the study

anyway; bet my bed is cleaner than a girls cooter

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 26, 2013 8:43:33 PM

12. I don't know why, perhaps it's the old movies, but I think of all British and European guys as being less clean than Americans. I think it has to do with the fact that in the 1980's the foreigners were doing the messy hair thing before the Americans were.

Posted by: Hagatha | Aug 26, 2013 9:10:53 PM

13. And in another study it has been discovered that dogs bite more mail carriers than cats.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 26, 2013 9:15:00 PM

14. Awkward, at least it didn't name, names. lol

Posted by: barney | Aug 26, 2013 9:30:10 PM

15. Oh for God's sake, guys, you change socks and underwear every day, so changing the sheets every week isn't a big chore, right? What? Socks every... week? Underwear every... Ewww. Kooties won't even talk to you and the bedbugs are flying south. Shoo, get away, I need a shower.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Aug 26, 2013 10:03:15 PM

16. The bedding section of Horchow and Bloomingdales is an online hobby. I'm always changing sheets, comforters, duvets just to change the mood. My guilty pleasure is Sferra. I don't like the bed looking all puffy like a big girls.

Posted by: GB | Aug 26, 2013 10:43:38 PM

17. Lacking any other religious commitment, I change my bedsheets after each seven nights' use.

Posted by: Rich | Aug 27, 2013 12:28:28 AM

18. You never sleep alone.

Posted by: LJC | Aug 27, 2013 1:15:45 AM

19. And if a buzzard had a jukebox stuffed up its ass, there'd be music in the air.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Aug 27, 2013 1:23:46 AM

20. Sorry, but as a Gay entomologist I can tell you that there are thousands of Dust Mites in your bed at all times anyway, regardless of whether you clean or not. They're harmless unless you're allergic.

Posted by: Wirrrn | Aug 27, 2013 5:14:03 AM

21. What a story to wake up to. Yuck

Posted by: Chad | Aug 27, 2013 5:29:51 AM

22. As an older gay male, (over 50) I can tell you younger boys one thing: Change those damn sheets even MORE often when you are over 45, because a man's bed gets that "funky" smell even more quickly the older you are.

There's nothing more unsexy than walking into a guy's bedroom and smelling something akin to a nursing home or a homeless shelter.

I change our sheets weekly, without fail. Otherwise it's Funk City. And using anything like Fabreeze is just being plain lazy.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 27, 2013 6:26:09 AM

23. They needed a study for this?

Posted by: Mike | Aug 27, 2013 7:43:26 AM

24. Yeah, so the study found that sheets can be dirty for months with no ill effects. So this is showing us we don't need to clean our sheets.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 27, 2013 9:13:15 AM

25. Young men aren't the cleanest and most tidy people in the world. This is not news. But once every 3 months? WTF, I wash mine once a week, but when I was in my early mid 20s sometimes once evry other week...but 3 effing months?!

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 27, 2013 9:24:02 AM