News: Todd Hughes, Penguins, Dan Gillespie-Sells, Louisiana, NOM

RoadEquality Matters: Media complicit in legislative attack on LGBT Americans.

CocacolaRoadCoca-Cola apologizes for "You Retard" bottle cap.

RoadVideo: Penguins may be dressed for weddings but not necessarily willing to participate.

RoadWhite House Press Secretary Jay Carney is unaware that Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana are withholding spousal benefits for gay troops: “I do not know the answer to the question about the president,” Carney said. “I would refer you to the Department of Defense on it. I can take your question and we can talk about it later. I’m just not aware of these developments.”

RoadKate Winslet is not changing her name to Kate Rocknroll.

RoadOpposition to Obamacare hits a new low with Koch Brothers campaign.

RoadGay video games coming out of the closet: "Two developers slave away in their respective home offices, working tirelessly on their indie games. The titles have a similar aesthetic (they feature hand-drawn cartoon animations) and both are defined as gay-themed. In Melbourne, Australia, Luke Miller continually updates his sci-fi adventure gay game, My Ex-Boyfriend the Space Tyrant, in an attempt to pass the title through Steam’s Greenlight program. In Eureka, USA, Obscura is using a successfully-funded Kickstarter campaign to get her erotic dating simulator Coming Out on Top into the hands of gamers."

RoadChris Hemsworth is naked in Rush, from the back.

TurnerRoadGay couple deletes crowdfunding page that attempted to raise money to send parent to one of their multi-day, pan-global wedding celebrations after merciless mocking from Gawker makes it go viral. And Kenneth has a flashback...

RoadProgress North Carolina would like Orson Scott Card removed from the UNC -TV Board of Trustees.

RoadWest Covina, CA man charged in slaying of transgender woman: "[Melony] Smith, who was listed at the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner as Vanhxay Inthichack, was discovered dead in her motel room in the 13900 block of Francisquito Avenue about 1:30 p.m. Sept. 9."

RoadDavid Mixner goes off on Republicans.

RoadLegal fight brewing in Louisiana? "Louisiana's revenue department won't recognize same-sex marriages for tax filings, despite a new IRS rule that allows legally married gay couples to file joint federal tax returns and a Louisiana law requiring taxpayers to use the same filing status on state and federal tax forms Revenue Secretary Tim Barfield said Louisiana can't recognize a same-sex marriage tax filing because of its constitutional ban on gay marriage, according to a document outlining the state's position and obtained Friday."

RoadHenry Cavill is dashing in a gray suit in The Man from U.N.C.L.E..

RoadCan you handle more Scott Eastwood shirtlessness?

SellsRoadThe Feeling's Dan Gillespie-Sells is sick of celebrities who come out as gay but then won't talk about it: "Oh god if anyone comes out I’m like 'good for you!' I get a little frustrated with the people that half come out, the people who are like 'I don’t want to talk about it, I wanna keep it real. Everyone knows you’re gay; you just look ashamed, just shut up and say it! It really pisses me off, not because I feel like everyone has to bare their soul all the time, people don’t have to know all the private details of their lives, but it’s nothing to be f**king ashamed of, so why act ashamed?! It drives me crazy."

RoadNOM would like to boycott any business that supports "the homosexual lifestyle in general".

RoadRich Juzwiak: Summer ends in the middle of everything.

RoadSenate expected to confirm gay nominee Todd Hughes to U.S. Circuit Court: "The U.S. Senate is poised to make history on Tuesday when it may confirm an openly gay man for the first-time ever to a seat on a federal appeals court...Adam Jentleson, a Reid spokesperson, said an agreement with Republicans was reached to proceed with the nomination, so 60 votes to end a filibuster won’t be necessary. A simple majority vote can confirm Hughes. It’s unlikely Hughes will face difficulties on the Senate floor. The Senate Judiciary Committee reported out his nomination in July by voice vote."

Comments

1. First, I find Eric T good looking and he has great smile. Their attempt to raise money was/is quite unusual, the feedback has been unkind and almost totally deprecatory and perhaps has surprised them. I wouldn't have given any money.

Posted by: Matt27 | Sep 20, 2013 3:54:34 PM

2. I met Eric Turner at a pool part once soon after he had moved to Houston. He was really nice, and yes, very good looking.

I get why people are angry, but after looking at all the negative criticism they are getting, I have to say that a part of me feels really bad for the two. I'm sure that backlash was very much unexpected for them.

I guess if you find their cause ridiculous, just don't give them money. Simple as that.

Posted by: Evan C | Sep 20, 2013 4:09:06 PM

3. This Gillespie-Sells guy is too ugly. Why should we care what he thinks?

Posted by: AG | Sep 20, 2013 4:15:50 PM

4. Although I'm sure the couple didn't expect to receive as much negative attention as they did, it just shows how narcissism can blind people to their own vanity... Why should the PUBLIC fund their parents' flights when the couple is already shelling out for a destination wedding and a fabulous honeymoon ($600/night hotel)... Priorities people!

There are scores of couples out there who can't get married in their own locality AND don't have the luxury of simply planning a destination wedding in a place where marriage equality exists.

(Note: I don't personally know the couple, but a quick visit to Eric Turner's FB fan page shows the level of narcissism and audacity required to actually be so tone deaf.)

Posted by: John M | Sep 20, 2013 4:29:03 PM

5. @ JOHN M

You put it perfectly.

Posted by: Hmmm. | Sep 20, 2013 4:41:36 PM

6. I like guys with big muscle but they have to be big-hearted and unselfconscious. There's no point being big if you're not strong too, and I'm not talking about your bench-press.

Posted by: Chaz | Sep 20, 2013 5:29:35 PM

7. @JOHN M what you said.

Posted by: JWL | Sep 20, 2013 5:45:17 PM

8. A level of narcissism heretofore unseen...outside of any gay bar.

Posted by: JWL | Sep 20, 2013 5:46:15 PM

9. RE: Chris Hemsworth--well now, what a double standard we have here. Women are treated with respect when they have to do nudity, but men are just to be pushed around like they were just grunts in the army.

Guys are not to be respected, they are to be slapped around, because, well, they're guys. They are supposed to take it.

What hypocrisy!

Posted by: tjones | Sep 20, 2013 7:03:34 PM

10. @ AG - are only the physical attractive worth listening to? I guess we're as shallow as people try to portray us.

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Sep 20, 2013 8:58:40 PM

11. I was willing to give Eric Turner the benefit of the doubt, but if his original intent was for the fundraiser site to say "invited guests please donate in lieu of gifts", he has done a terrible job at clarifying and has made things worse with his lack of damage control. Which is surprising considering his self-promotion as a model and bodybuilder. If he would have gone on his page and said simply that the wording of the site was wrong, he wouldn't have needed to take the site down.
    But, no- he went on to try to justify the expense, act the victim, and lash out at people. Some of his catty comments were almost as bad as those against him.

Which leads me to believe- if you are having such problems backpedaling a story or statement, it stands to reason that the original action or intention is true. The guy is a narcissist, not to mention tacky.

Posted by: mike | Sep 20, 2013 10:34:51 PM

12. While it may well be time for gay video games to come out, unfortunately it's still about sexual stereotypes and physical beauty... Yes, I know it's a fantasy. But not everyone has the same fantasies... If you ask me, these games will go unnoticed outside of the gay gamer community and the lunatic fringe fundies who will twist it to use it as propaganda against us.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 20, 2013 11:05:27 PM

13. The gay media is a boorish bunch of grotesque hypocrites that misrepresents all of us at every turn.

But lets face it. We don't want a typical representation of us. Narcissism, muscles, meth, ugly old sex addicts trolling craigslist for cock to suck, the gross bar culture, nobody in the community wants any of that mess looked at.

And the old guys paired up and settled down - they don't want anything to do with any of it either.

"The community" has never been more of a joke.

Posted by: UGH | Sep 20, 2013 11:35:25 PM

14. John M: Yeah, I don't understand any sympathy for the gymbunny international multimarrying privleged begging couple. Give me an effing break.

And the many comments on Gawker are almost all hilarious and smart.

Posted by: emjayay | Sep 21, 2013 8:13:33 PM