Gay Marriage | News | Ohio

Ohio Lawmaker Wants Judge Impeached for Ordering State to Recognize Gay Marriage

Arthur

Ohio Rep. John Becker, (R-Union Township, pictured below) wants to impeach Judge Timothy S. Black, who in July ordered the state to recognize the marriage of John Arthur and Jim Obergefell.

BeckerArthur and Obergefell, you may recall, chartered a plane to Maryland with the help of friends, family, and social media, so that they could marry because Arthur is terminally-ill with ALS, and married on the airport tarmac. They also filed a lawsuit challenging Ohio's ban on same-sex marriage.

Becker wants Black impeached for “malfeasance and abuse of power," and is calling on Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH) to start the proceedings, Cincinatti.com reports:

“I am writing you today to express my concerns about the federal government’s ever growing propensity to violate state sovereignty,” Becker wrote Friday in a letter to Wenstrup, a Columbia-Tusculum Republican.

Federal judges are appointed for life. The only way to remove a federal judge is for the House of Representatives to impeach the judge and the Senate to vote to remove the judge from office.

“Judge Black has demonstrated his incompetence by allowing his personal political bias to supersede jurisprudence,” Becker wrote. “This will begin the process of restoring state sovereignty back to the original intent of the US Constitution.”

Wenstrup released a statement: “While Judge Black’s ruling violated the Ohio Constitution and the will of Ohio voters, the question of whether this decision also violated the U.S. Constitution remains before a higher court. I will watch those appellate proceedings closely to see if Judge Black’s decision is upheld and I have full confidence in the Ohio’s office of the Attorney General during the appeals process.”

Comments

1. Once more showing that Republicans are never anything but evil, amoral scumbags

Posted by: Steve | Sep 23, 2013 11:19:14 AM

2. Pathetic disgusting Man...and when his time comes - I HOPE its SOooo Painful,and SLOW!!!!!

Posted by: disgusted american | Sep 23, 2013 11:22:07 AM

3. Secede, secede, secede.

If you're unhappy with your lack of sovereignty then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 23, 2013 11:34:43 AM

4. When Ohio repeals that amendment in a couple of years may I suggest that Rep. Becker borrow from some Buddhist monks and take the ultimate step of self immolation on the state house steps. It's the correct thing for him do.

Posted by: Dan Mc | Sep 23, 2013 11:55:40 AM

5. As I recall, federal judges who ruled against racist state laws also faced calls for impeachment. These calls went unheeded.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Sep 23, 2013 12:11:51 PM

6. Republicans are evil. Anyone who says they aren't is living in a fantasy land. I refuse to have a Republican in my life and I'm better off for it.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Sep 23, 2013 12:48:25 PM

7. Folks, things are going to get worse before they get better. The Fourth Reich (tm) is losing, and losing badly ... so they are behaving like starved, rabid, cornered animals ... that's when they're at their MOST dangerous.

Posted by: Bud_Clark | Sep 23, 2013 1:11:23 PM

8. Eric Turner and Morne should take note. This couple was in the type of situation that would warrant solicitations for wedding money through social media, not your global extravaganza.

Posted by: Luke | Sep 23, 2013 1:18:25 PM

9. I'm from CINCINNATI (notice the spelling, Andy) and this is the first I've heard of this self-serving turd (Becker). I can guarantee you, however, I will make it known locally to both Rep. Brad Wenstrup -- and anyone else who listens -- that this is NOT the kind of idiotic representation we expect from a elected officials here in Southwest Ohio...

Posted by: KEVINVENTION | Sep 23, 2013 3:01:04 PM

10. This has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with morality. Judge Black made an ethical decision, and Becker is so blinded by his hatred for gay people that he's making stuff up like the state's sovereignty is at risk, just to manifest his inner rage for gay people and kindness and fairness.

Posted by: Andy | Sep 23, 2013 3:38:46 PM

11. Ok..so let's impeach him because he stood up for our Constitution? Ohioan here..this bigot needs to be VOTED OUT!!! This couple only wants to be buried together in their family cemetery!! How cruel and insensitive... AND..I am sure he calls himself a "Christian!" Again..Jesus would be appalled...

Posted by: Jim Stone | Sep 23, 2013 5:37:57 PM

12. @ONCEMOREWITHFEELING: I do so agree with you. I have refused to allow Republicans in my life for many years now and I agree, I am much happier and better off without their hate and negativity. I have distanced myself from friends, neighbors and family members who follow that evil path. I remain cordial, but keep them at more than arms length. I am also quick to rebuke them, ridicule them and shame them whenever they start their right wing nonsense in my presence. I find them to be at their core hateful, selfish and mean spirited people. Some try to hide it, but if you scratch below the surface, they have a very corrosive and fetid core.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 23, 2013 6:33:34 PM

13. @bob r, oncemorewithfeeling: i've made the same line in the sand. they are regressives.

Posted by: gomez | Sep 23, 2013 8:35:32 PM

14. I read somewhere that Ohio recognizes marriages performed in other states for opposite sex couple that aren't permitted in Iowa. The judge, I think, is on firm footing by requiring Iowa to recognize this out-of-state marriage that isn't able to be performed there.

Posted by: J Ascher | Sep 23, 2013 8:37:46 PM