BigGayDeal.com

News: Black Rhino, Israel, Google Glass, Adam Lambert

RoadMexican singer Larry Hernandez: "Yo no soy gay".

RoadA cyber attack forced the closure of a major roadway in Israel.

SpiderRoadThe Greenwich Village clock tower spider, not seen since 2009, is back this Halloween.

RoadYup. Paris Hilton was Miley Cyrus for Halloween.

RoadJennifer Saunders floats the idea of an AbFab film to end the series: "So many people have said, “We’d love to see it”, and I think “Yeah but then it’ll go wrong and everyone will hate me. That’s where films fall down, when it’s just a series of sketches."

BRoadill De Blasio's wife and former lesbian Chirlane McCray will be "activist" First Lady if he's elected.

RoadThe NYT explores Gawker's outing of Shepard Smith: "The frisson of the Gawker tidbit was supposed to derive from the contextual equation — Fox News + gay = hypocrisy — but the channel has hardly been of one voice on the issue and there is no indication that it has any special obsession with sexual orientation, like, say, Gawker."

RoadJulian Hough is one of Halloween's biggest losers.

RoadAdam Lambert is a baby blue sultan for Halloween.

VintageRoadVintage shots of male couples collected by Jeffrey Gent: "I started noticing vintage photos of male couples at the 26th St. Flea Market in NYC back in the '80s. I collected them for years and years, but during one of my many moves they were stored away and forgotten."

RoadSPI Group says boycott of Stoli vodka had "minimal" impact: "Speaking to just-drinks, SPI's CMO Marco Ferrari said some US accounts stopped selling Stolichnaya but that the protest - a retaliation against anti-homosexual legislation in Russia - 'didn't really get any traction' in other markets. Most of the US accounts soon returned to serving the vodka, Ferrari said. "

RoadSouth Mississippi gay bars find success by giving back to the community: "We are a viable resource, not just for the LGBT community but the entire community -- period," Koval said. "As long as we can meet overhead, our goal is to give back to our community."

RoadVIDEO: Very cool clip of a mass migration of birds setting down in a midwest neighborhood.

RoadMale model fix: Dorian Reeves.

RhinoRoadDallas Safari Club says it plans to raise up to a million dollars for endangered black rhinos by auctioning off a permit to kill one in Namibia.

RoadSacramento binational gay couple's marriage among first to be federally recognized: “These guys are among the first to the be approved. The USCIS has really worked hard to get its guidelines out there after DOMA, and the first cases to get approved were really those under the gun facing deportation.”

RoadHere's the first trailer for The Immigrant starring Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix, and Jeremy Renner.

RoadIs a barge in San Francisco harbor a floating retail outlet for Google Glass? "The Glass store theory popped up late Friday in a report from local CBS affiliate KPIX 5. Indeed, Google was building a giant barge just off Treasure Island, but instead of a data center, the network says it's 'a floating marketing center, a kind of giant Apple store, if you will.'"

Comments

1. What could be more scary than Paris going as herself? Chilling!

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 28, 2013 3:49:40 PM

2. That boycott thing is actually great news, Stoli shouldn't suffer for the nations crimes but the super effective boycott needed to happen. The boycott was really on Russia, and that worked out great.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 28, 2013 3:59:47 PM

3. What brainless twit at the Dallas Safari Club thought up shooting a RARE rhino to sell tickets to save RARE rhinos? Is this not like "cutting off your nose to save your face"?

Posted by: Mike | Oct 28, 2013 4:21:25 PM

4. Just Us in Biloxi was my first LGBT bar experience, sneaking in at 17 to see a drag show and have a drink (or two). I think after a fun night with some great straight friends and to finally see people like me was what finally gave me courage to be out.... Love them, and I can't wait until I can go back!

Posted by: Xanadu | Oct 28, 2013 4:26:13 PM

5. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the collection of photos compiled by Jeffery Gent being labeled "homo history." The photos are certainly interesting, but there's no evidence that these people were actually gay couples -- that's just an assumption Mr. Gent has made. While some of them may be gay, I would guess that the majority of them are likely brothers or family members.

Posted by: D.B. | Oct 28, 2013 5:09:51 PM

6. If the Dallas Safari Club really wants to help black rhinos, they should auction off permits to kill poachers.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 28, 2013 5:10:16 PM

7. I believe you mean Julianne Hough.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 28, 2013 5:50:42 PM

8. Ha! It's the real BIG money $$$ that hires the poachers cheap that HAS to be stopped. Download the app INSTANT WILD if you have not if yet CRISPY.

Posted by: Tom | Oct 28, 2013 5:57:36 PM

9. Ab Fab is already a film (Absoluement fabuleux), but the French version — with Nathalie Baye and Josiane Balasko as Patsy and Edina — it was the WORST piece of crap I've ever seen, and that's a categorey pretty hard to top for a French film. The French should never do comedy as their sense of humor stopped at Molière. And jokes about women from Britany's underwear.

I'm ready for (have been dreaming of) a real Ab Fab film, with Jennifer, Joanna AND Dawn if they can work her in. Which I'm sure they can, she's so very versatile…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Oct 28, 2013 6:19:56 PM

10. isn't selling a permit to kill a black rhino to protect them sort of like selling alcohol to raise money for mothers against drunk driving. only texan could manage to destroy something in order to protect it .

Posted by: walter | Oct 28, 2013 7:06:46 PM

11. I think the New York Times was incredibly one-sided for attacking Gawker Media Sites for outing Shep Smith

I do think it is fair to call Shep Smith out for being a semi-closeted gay man working for a news agency which is a platform for virulently gay political commentators and which is run by self-identified gay haters.

Posted by: American Dreamer | Oct 28, 2013 7:24:07 PM

12. Maybe we could mount a poachers head on the wall.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Oct 28, 2013 8:28:39 PM

13. I agree in general with D.B. It's misleading to interpret many old images as "gay" without some corroborating evidence. Nonetheless, I'm always happy to see that earlier generations were not obsessively negative about the fact that men could be intimate in physical ways whether those were sexual or not. We have lost a tremendous amount of male bonding and/or friendship closeness. That is sad in so many ways.

Posted by: gregory brown | Oct 28, 2013 9:17:52 PM