Crime | Nebraska | News | Omaha

Omaha Man Beaten by Three Men After Defending Gay Friends: VIDEO

Omaha

Ryan Langenegger, an Omaha man, was beaten over the weekend after sticking up for his gay friends, KMTV reports:

Out with two of his gay friends in the Old Market Saturday night, they decided to grab a bite at PepperJax Bar and Grill. Inside a group of three guys started to verbally harass his friends. Ryan said, to avoid confrontation they left PepperJax.

The three men followed them outside.

"My friend then said, yes, I know I'm a boy in a dress. After that he said, "yes I know", some "colorful words" and disgusting. I said hey guys, we're not looking for any trouble, just trying to get home. Just trying to get home", said Langenegger.

Ryan stepped forward and tried to stop the incident. Instead he took a hard blow to the face.

Watch KMTV's report (autoplay), AFTER THE JUMP...

Langenegger

Comments

1. Should of stayed inside the Bar and Grill.
    There would be more witnesses INSIDE the restaurant.
    DON'T take it upon yourself to think you would be able to disarm the situation by leaving an establishment which most likely has cameras inside.

Posted by: HereinDC | Oct 29, 2013 10:05:05 AM

2. Very first comment blames the victims. Hooray!

I see nothing much changes around here.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 29, 2013 10:09:22 AM

3. Just show the intensity of the hate that the perps followed them out to harass them.

And the straight guy who got hit...he is gonna get so much p*ssy over this.

Posted by: QJ201 | Oct 29, 2013 10:14:31 AM

4. According to his fb profile he's a Marine?! There ya go! Good for him.

Posted by: jR | Oct 29, 2013 10:18:11 AM

5. I know we shouldn't address violence with violence, but maybe it's time some of these gay bashers got the crap beat out of them. Perhaps that would send a message.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 29, 2013 10:42:05 AM

6. There's more to this story, so what is it?

Posted by: Zeta | Oct 29, 2013 10:46:03 AM

7. That's not what HereinDC is saying, Crispy. The point is to protect yourself. If you're going to do the stupid thing and engage in a fight, then have witnesses.

Don't 'step outside' in order to prove 'what a man' you are, or whatever.

The best solution of all would have been to diffuse the situation. We are not told what precipitated the confrontation in the first place. Since it's not included, there's the slight possibility that this Marine and his friends began it or at the very least helped to egg it on.

Posted by: Zeta | Oct 29, 2013 10:50:22 AM

8. That's not what HereinDC is saying, Crispy. The point is to protect yourself. If you're going to do the stupid thing and engage in a fight, then have witnesses.

Don't 'step outside' in order to prove 'what a man' you are, or whatever.

Posted by: Zeta | Oct 29, 2013 10:50:57 AM

9. The article says that to avoid confrontation they stepped outside. That makes no sense. Where was management? Something is missing here.

Posted by: Zeta | Oct 29, 2013 10:51:52 AM

10. Oh, so now not only is it the victim's fault in the first place, but ALSO he is stupid to "engage in a fight". Thanks for clarifying that, ZETA

Posted by: JWL | Oct 29, 2013 10:58:26 AM

11. I don't think HEREINDC was blaming the victims, just providing advice for others in the future.

autoplay sucks.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 29, 2013 11:01:05 AM

12. Nice, Zeta. You take blaming the victim to a whole 'nother level.

There's no indication anywhere that they started or engaged in a fight. Yet you somehow manage to assume that. Your internalized homophobia is showing.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 29, 2013 11:01:56 AM

13. THANK YOU ZETA. You are correct...I wasn't blamming the victim...I didn't want to write a big l o n g paragraph....

There are plenty of younger people who are reading this article and maybe wouldn't think they have the fulll right to STAY in the building and have protection.

Just as if you are in a car wreck in the middle of the highway.....you stay in the care and NOT get out of your car and be exposed to other cars running you over. Stay in the car and call police. Don't get out of the car.....
    Don't leave the restaurant or bar or store or stadium or bus and be exposed to a more serious siutation of being left alone with these thugs following you.

Posted by: HereinDC | Oct 29, 2013 11:05:21 AM

14. Descriptions of the attackers? Anyone follow them to a car to get license plate numbers? Anyone else come forward who witnessed this?

Lots of missing parts here.

Great that a marine stepped forward to protect his friends, but taking it outside gives the perps an excellent chance of taking things further and a great escape route with zero video watching. Not smart.

Why not just dial 911 and get police there if they felt threatened?

Glad they stepped forward with their story, but it should serve as an object lesson in what NOT to do in the future.

Posted by: johnny | Oct 29, 2013 11:08:39 AM

15. what's missing is that since we're talking about omahell, where it is still 1950-something, there is no safe place for LGBT people to truly be themselves openly. having spent 75 years there one year for my job, i absconded with my life and part of my sanity to the west coast. truly a scary, horrible town with nothing to recommend it, and a general population so small-headed that this kind of thing goes on all the time. the "old market" is the "happening" area in town, and it's not even safe for gay people there... what else need be said?

Posted by: bajasir | Oct 29, 2013 11:08:42 AM

16. It can be a dangerous world out there. If it's legal where you live, get yourself some quality pepper spray and learn how to use it. Ideally, get the pepper gel type so it doesn't blow back in your face if there is a gust of wind.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 29, 2013 11:13:45 AM

17. From Josh Foo's Facebook:

"This photo was taken soon after Ryan stood up for my friend and I after being called "faggots","disgusting", etc. by a group of men at a restaurant who then followed us outside. We did not provoke this in anyway and also did not retaliate after the assault. Ryan, after being hit, paused and looked at the men and asked "Why"? which was the question we were all wondering since we did not do anything wrong besides be ourselves. What Ryan did meant a lot to me and I thank him for standing up for his friends and accepting them for who they are in everyway. He's a great friend. The world needs more people like him."

Zeta, still not convinced that they didn't start it?

Posted by: crispy | Oct 29, 2013 11:27:35 AM

18. Hey Trolls; Ryan has more character in his big toe than you will ever have in your entire life.

'Jesus' thanks you trolls so much for taking that NOM hate-money you pocket after every hate-post.

Posted by: Jenny 0 | Oct 29, 2013 12:00:53 PM

19. We don't know all the facts, but what we do know is that, as one commonly observes, two gay men did absolutely nothing to try to defend themselves or help someone who was defending them--instead just standing there and demonstrating yet again the chronic physical cowardice that is one of the defining features of the "gay" culture of effeminacy.

And instead of calling them out for their display of cowardice, most of the people commenting here think they should have either stayed inside the bar/restaurant or carried pepper spray--in other words, they should have acted like women.

And speaking of acting like women, apparently one of the two "gays" was wearing a dress, so, yes, he brought this on himself by his own behavior--far from being innocent, his purpose, as is the case with all such effeminate "gay" men, was to demonstrate contempt for and hatred of, their own gender....which is what causes most men--understandably--to react to them in the hostile way they typically do.

Not sure what the story on the supposedly "straight" Marine "friend" is, but what a shame that he wasted such an effort on a couple of effeminate, man-hating cowards.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 29, 2013 12:14:20 PM

20. Rick... Really? "Staying inside the bar/grill would be acting like a woman? "

Posted by: HereinDC | Oct 29, 2013 12:22:31 PM

21. We don't know all the facts, but I am clearly I giant homophobic, misogynistic, anti-effeminacy troll who has nothing better to do than criticize those who are openly and proudly LGBT while I rot away in my closet. I hate women (the point that is always at the center of my rants). I hate women almost as much as I hate myself.

I know you'd all wish I would stop posting on here. But posting insulting comments on the internet is all I have to live for. So I won't stop. You'll just have to ignore me.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 29, 2013 12:25:34 PM

22. Oh, Ricky. Harsh words for a sissy vegetarian.

The fact is that you wouldn't have been put in this situation in the first place since this restaurant serves manly meat that all real men eat.

Go back to chomping on your kale chips, Miss Gurl.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 29, 2013 12:29:45 PM

23. I grew up in Omaha, but I was a late bloomer so I didn't really investigate being gay until I was outta there. I've heard good things about progress there in the 17 years since I moved. I wonder if this is akin to whats been happening in NYC - the bigoted neanderthal element is getting worked up over losing ground and is acting up violently.

Posted by: fanboi | Oct 29, 2013 12:32:44 PM

24. BZ Devil Dog.

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Oct 29, 2013 12:39:19 PM

25. Most people have cell phones with cameras. You can use them to collect evidence of assault and who the perps were and pass the info on to the police. Just holding up a phone and telling the perps they are being recorded will probably get them to back down. Though it's no guarantee.

Posted by: anon | Oct 29, 2013 12:41:33 PM