Chris Hemsworth | News | Video

BigGayDeal.com

Chris Hemsworth Explains Why Thor Takes His Shirt Off: VIDEO

Hemsworththor

As the release date for "Thor: The Dark World" approaches, we can expect an onslaught of (hopefully positive) reviews and critiques. The folks at MTV had something else on their mind, though--we think you might, too. It turns out that Chris Hemsworth, the Thunder God himself, has a gratuitous shirtless scene near the beginning of the film. Why? We say, why not?

MTV reports:

Though it could have been confused as pure fangirl service, the scene was actually the brainchild of Marvel consigliere Joss Whedon, who thought the movie was missing a little something special.

"That [scene] kind of came from Joss actually. He just said that there needed to be something romantic in there," Hemsworth said. "Then he said, 'Chris, get your shirt off.' I said, 'Well, I don't know. What's the why? What are we doing?' The justification was that it was him coming home from battle, washing blood off his hands. It is what it is. How to weigh into that without sounding like an idiot?"

Thanks, Joss!

Are you going to see "Thor: The Dark World" after its release on November 8th? Have Chris's abs lured you in?

Watch the short but sweet interview with Hemsworth, AFTER THE JUMP...

And just in case you need a reminder from the last film:

Thor

Comments

1. he is more attractive the closer he gets to his natural hair color as vs dyed blonde

Posted by: Moz's | Oct 26, 2013 10:39:34 AM

2. How silly is it that they cast someone with a body like Chris Hemsworth's and then feel they have to validate showing that body?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 26, 2013 10:42:44 AM

3. @MOZ'S Agree completely. Wow is he hot! However blond is ONLY achieved by bleaching and NOT dyeing my friend.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 26, 2013 10:57:52 AM

4. (Had a long term boyfriend who was a hairdresser.)

Posted by: Mike | Oct 26, 2013 11:02:33 AM

5. What a handsome fellow and he comes with a charming accent! I just can't imagine waking up to that much beef every morning but I would sure like to give it a try! :-0

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Oct 26, 2013 11:20:34 AM

6. Does this makes me a fangirl? Okay, I can live with that...

Posted by: Canadian Observer | Oct 26, 2013 11:47:45 AM

7. Mike

:-) ok, so the closer he is to his natural hair color as vs bleaching it blonde, the more attractive he is

Posted by: Moz's | Oct 26, 2013 11:59:56 AM

8. @Mike, I could imagine it very easily.

Posted by: Matt27 | Oct 26, 2013 12:07:46 PM

9. I'd take Miley's sloppy seconds over this squinty neanderthal any day.

Posted by: MikeSin | Oct 26, 2013 12:15:35 PM

10. There needs to be a caveat on this clip that shirtless evidence (i.e., a picture or footage) will not be forthcoming.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 26, 2013 1:00:20 PM

11. Exactly MOZ'S! Would like to cuddle up to that chest like a screaming baby. ~( : 0)

Posted by: Mike | Oct 26, 2013 1:19:48 PM

12. @Mikesin, Miley's sloppy seconds would be Chris' brother Liam. Chris is married to Elsa Pataky.

Posted by: Joseph | Oct 26, 2013 1:48:38 PM

13. Reminds me of the scene in Magnificent Obsession where brain surgeon Rock Hudson is prepping for an operation and scrubs up, shirtless!

Posted by: Cleo63fan | Oct 26, 2013 3:03:12 PM

14. @Dastius Krazitauk makes a valid point. They didn't cast a Woody Allen type for a reason. Why wouldn't they show the biceps and pecs that they very purposely cast?
    In the real ancient depictions of Thor, he was largely un-selfconsciously nude. Getting Hemsworth to play it nude for the whole movie would have been a bold choice. It's kind of ridiculous to feel the need to justify his not having a shirt on for a few seconds.

Posted by: GregV | Oct 26, 2013 3:11:28 PM

15. Norse culture (and modern Norse religious revivals aka Heathenry) placed value on boasting, and so if you had a hot body, it was considered a good thing to show it off.

Posted by: clint | Oct 26, 2013 4:04:30 PM

16. @JOSEPH Yes, I would take Liam (Miley's cast-off) over Chris. That was my point. Keep up dear.

Posted by: MikeSin | Oct 26, 2013 4:04:46 PM

17. Talk to me about the butt.

Posted by: FFS | Oct 26, 2013 4:12:02 PM

18. Mr Hemsworth should always have a scene in which he takes of his clothes- just check out his magnificent ass muscles in "Rush" which could have uses a lot more nudity.

Posted by: jarago | Oct 26, 2013 9:17:48 PM

19. Meh. I prefer skinny boys. I'm a Loki fan, myself.
    I prefer Steve Rogers before the Super Soldier serum. ;)

Posted by: Book | Oct 27, 2013 2:09:10 AM

20. One of the hottest guys alive -- and not such a bad actor, either.

I'd say he has an outside shot at a nomination for Rush. He was very, very good in it. He also pretty much stole the entire movie in 10 minutes of screen time in the first JJ Star Trek film.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 27, 2013 5:27:22 AM

21. "fangirl service

really tired of the assumption of heterosexuality in pieces like this. especially surprising coming from mtv

Posted by: Jaker | Oct 27, 2013 3:20:31 PM