Conservative Coalition: Repeal of California Transgender Student Rights Law Will Qualify for Ballot

An anti-LGBT coalition says it has collected enough signatures for a ballot measure that would repeal a new California law protecting transgender students, the AP reports:

SchubertA coalition of conservative groups called Privacy for all Students submitted 620,000 signatures to get the initiative on the November 2014 ballot, said Frank Schubert (pictured), the political strategist handling the signature gathering effort.

To qualify, at least 505,000 valid signatures must be submitted. To verify the signatures, each of California's 58 counties will first check that the overall count is correct, then conduct a random sampling to make sure they are legitimate. After that, it is likely the state would order a full review.

Said Gina Gleason of the group Faith and Public Policy: "Many people said we had no chance to collect over half a million signatures in just 90 days, but we have proven them wrong by gathering over 115,000 more signatures than the minimum needed."

Governor Jerry Brown signed the protections into law in August 2012. They require public schools to allow those students access to whichever restroom and locker room they want.

California Republicans approved a resolution supporting the law's repeal in October 2012.

Comments

1. says

That man’s raging case of gayface never ceases to make my green eyes roll.

What an ugly example of humanity.
    Hey! thousands are dead in the Philippines. I have an idea! Let’s get together and collect signatures to make sure life is harder for transgendered youth!

*fail(

2. Dana says

any rational person in California could have told you it was going to qualify..These people were everywhere…even in gayborhoods… LGBT oriented media and groups like EQCA laughed them off as a fringe group with no chance of qualifying for the ballot… it was 2008 all over again. When are the groups that take our money going to get serious and start paying attention?

3. Endoritos says

This calls for a massive response from the public. Since men using the ladies room would be subject to criminal prosecution for the imaginations of sexual predation, I call on the women of California to use the mens rooms whenever in a public building or commercial building.

While supposedly it’s the females who are put at risk by unisex bathrooms, it always seems to be men behind the effort to stop it. So ladies, step up and use the mens room. You have wanted to claim our last but of private space for some time now, and here’s a cause that’s just.

4. Endoritos says

By the way. This wouldn’t be the first time women invaded the mens room. I have read that it was fairly commonplace at sports arenas before they started forcing them to have adequate ladies rooms.

5. Howard says

The real scandal is how much money they had to spent to get these signatures.

If they were really interested in Privacy For All Students, they would get rid of open lockerrooms with gang showers and provide private dressing rooms with a shower for every student!

Religious hypocrites!

6. Gerry says

@Dana, you are absolutely correct… once again churches were lying to their congregations telling them this would encourage child rape, etc. It’s just ridiculous that once again these so called non-profits are using their tax exempt funds for political purposes. If they want to engage in propaganda fine, but I shouldn’t have to subsidize it with my tax dollars. Expect the airwaves to be once again blanketed with false scary ads about how we must “protect the children”. The real question is whether the California electorate will be gullible to fall for it again after the Prop 8 fiasco.

7. John P. says

This is awesome. Vile, antigay homophobes vs. vile antigay trans activists. Let them wage war on each other. It really is a shame that they both can’t lose.

As for me, I live in San Jose, so I will have to decide which nasty group gets my vote. I think that, as much as I despise Frank Schubert, I will vote yes. Trans activists spread the word that “transfolk” should vote no on marriage equality last year. Thankfully, they failed in their effort to hurt gay and lesbian families. Now here’s an opportunity for some sweet pay back.

8. Thedrdonna says

@John, I have heard about this claim that trans activists fought marriage equality. Do you have any links or evidence or anything? I mean, like, beyond tumblr wailing. Real evidence that this was an actual push by a notable number of people.

9. john patrick says

I hope this doesn’t have enough valid signatures. The commercials and the hate, the lies and the bile that they will belch forth from their bellies…the viciousness against trans youths…These are evil people, if anyone is evil. How much more human suffering must they unleash before they wither inside from so much anger and hate? The campaign against these hate groups must start now. They must be exposed for what they are.

10. says

California ballot propositions–misinformed majority vs. minority–are just evil and nasty: prepare for the anti-trans lies and propaganda to be flowing out of the ignorant with cash flow from the usual suspects flowing right behind it.

Those who spend their lives fighting against protections that will have no effect on them must have so little happiness in their own lives that they think they’ll find satisfaction in keeping others from happiness. They won’t, even if they win at the ballot box. (Witness the Prop 8 supporters.)

11. Benjamin says

I don’t know how I feel about this issue. There doesn’t seem to be much argument in favor of this law. All I see is a lot of name calling against the people who want to repeal it. I don’t care about your name calling. It doesn’t persuade me of anything. It maybe tells me that you don’t have any real arguments.

12. Helene says

The problem with this law is that it was drafted by arrogant trans activists and pushed through by the arrogant Tom Ammiano. So it had no reasonable limitations and no specifics on how to implement it. It had no requirements that a student had to meet in order to use the facilities of the opposite sex. Not even a minimum requirement like a note from a parent or a doctor. No requirement to see the school counselor even one time. Heck, you need a doctor’s note to be excused from single gym class, but you don’t need anything to use the girls lockerroom for the entire year?

And it provides no guidance to schools on how to implement this. What about “genderqueer” students who think that their gender identity is fluid and can change day to day? What does a school do? Nobody knows because the trans activists and Ammiano didn’t want to provide any help, preferring to leave all schools in a state of terror over a lawsuit.

Scr*w them and scr*w this law. It should be repealed. These folks need to be humbled and taught to show a little respect for the 99% of people who don’t live in their bubble of gender activism.

13. Helene says

@Little Kiwi:

You have a point. Thousands are dead in the Philippines and here we are debating a niche issue that impacts a sub-sub-sub-sub-set of transgenders. It concerns the bathroom and locker usage of a maybe a 10-20 students in all of CA. So let’s all agree that it would be wrong to waste time and money fighting this referendum. Let’s help the Phillippines.

14. says

Name-Changing Anti-Trans Troll – hang yourself. That is all.

There are young transgendered people whose lives are a daily struggle against ignorant bigots. So take my advice: stop making their lives harder, and if you won’t make their lives better, kindly take your wealth of free time and donate to aid the victims in the Philippines.

Doesn’t matter what name you choose to use, “Helene” – the world will be a better place when you’re no longer breathing.

15. Helene says

Why are you so violent and angry, Little Kiwi? And why do you prioritize the bathroom and locker usage of 20 Californians over and above the lives and livelihoods of tens of thousands of Filipinos? Is that your racism showing?

16. Mike Ryan says

This is just the ballot measure we’ve been waiting for. Let’s wipe their a**es to the floor and promote against them with all the gusto we should have used fighting Proposition 8. Every lie they spread needs to be addressed and quashed. “She’s gonna see my son’s penis!” Get over it you homophobe – she is a ‘he” whether you like it or not and appropriate accommodations can be me so that she doesn’t see your little boys little wee. Don’t sit back, don’t let them shove the lies they are about to spread down the throats of the naive – nail their silly a**ses to the wall!

17. cj says

mike ryan –

mmmm, yeah not so much. gay people have plenty of issues on our plate. we are not going on a crusade to change male and female bathrooms in school. and how is it homophobia to want to keep boys away from your daughter when she’s in the bathroom? im gonna bet that the heavy lifting needs to be on the trans side since most people are not going to understand why the bathroom setup needs to change all of a sudden and for just a few people. so it is prolly the trans who get nailed to the wall on this one.

18. Thedrdonna says

I find it interesting that the cowards who like to come in here and talk about how trans activists were in the streets calling for votes against gay marriage never actually respond with any evidence when asked. It’s almost as if they made it up so they have a good strawman to fight against…

19. Rick says

If I lived in California, I not only would vote for the amendment, but would campaign on behalf of it to ensure that the public understood that most gay people do not support this kind of nonsense and are sick and tired of being linked to a bunch of gender-confused freaks.

My guess is it will pass by landslide margins, even in bluer-than-blue California…..and it should.

20. David says

Rick and Helene: Let me break it down for you. The Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment to the US Constitution guarantees equality under the law for ALL citizens (including “gender-confused freaks”). It’s taken almost 150 years, but we’re very close now to making this a reality. Working towards making this a reality has been one of the greatest struggles of this remarkable democracy of ours, but well worth every effort undertaken on its behalf. As, presumably, gay people, you’re finally increasingly able to benefit from its provisions, which I hope you realize and appreciate. I certainly hope that you’re more than willing to extent these benefits to others.

21. Rick says

I want to make life as difficult for transgendered kids as I possibly can. Because they have the nerve to be honest with those around them about who they are and how they identify. I’m middle-aged and I still don’t have the courage to live openly as a gay man. How dare these kids be braver than me?! This will not stand!!! And this probably won’t make my homophobic parents love me again, but hey I’d rather be on the side of the f@ggot bashers than the bashed f@ggot.

22. Rick says

@DAVID The ability to access public restroom facilities with people who would be made very uncomfortable by your presence is not an inherent Constitutional “right”.

Give the freaks their own separate rest room–or mandate a single “private” single-occupancy restroom with a lock in every bullding that has public restrooms–and that would solve the problem.

Of course, being able to use a rest room is not the real issue here. The real issue is “gender-non-conformity”, which is why the few gay people who are supportive of this kind of garbage are almost invariably effeminate gay men, who think of themselves as pseudo-women and behave accordingly…….the purveyors of the culture of effeminacy that continues to be the principal obstacle to gay men achieving REAL social acceptance (as opposed to mere legal equality on paper).

23. Rick says

Needless to say, the post beginning “I want to make life as difficult…..” is not from me, the real Rick, but from Little Kiwi, acting as an impostor. The other two posts are, in fact, mine.

24. Rick says

The problem with effeminate gay men is that they see themselves as pseudo-women. Women are inferior, and by adopting this inferior set of characteristics they inhibit themselves from being real men. And that makes my blood boil. Women are to be detested, not adored and certainly not modeled after. I hate women and I hate gay men who act like women. Perhaps if you effeminates understood this then I could finally accept myself as a proud beacon of masculinity rather than the queer son my parents wish had been still born.

25. Rick says

Every day I keep thinking I should just have done my dad proud and killed myself decades ago so I wouldn’t be the worthless coward of a man barely sitting at my computer desk today.

26. Rick says

@DAVID I am not going to play that game with you. The philosophical position that you are coming from is one that promotes social anarchy and absolute non-conformity and that regards any kind of rules whatsoever as subjective and arbitrary.

You cannot have a functioning society without some agreed-upon rules. And if a small minority does not like some of those rules, that is too bad….but it does not constitute having their “rights” violated simply because they cannot do anything they want to without their being consequences.

I do not accept the idea that men who claim to be women or vice-versa really are and neither does the vast majority of the population. I personally believe that these men represent an extreme example of the internalization of the norms of a homophobic society that insists that male homosexuality equates to the absence of masculinity…….and as such they are only different in degree from effeminate gay men, not different in kind

…..but nobody is suggesting that gay men be allowed to use the ladies’ room, even though they presumably would not be interested in sneeking a peak at women’s genitals…..or that lesbians be allowed to use the mens’ room, even though they presumably would have no interest in looking at men’s genitals…..and our rights are not being violated by not being allowed to.

Sorry, but there just is no legitimate argument to “rights” based on someone simply not being allowed to do what they want to do, even if it imposes on everyone around them.

27. Rick says

Did I mention that I’m a closeted grown adult male with no testicles?

It’s true. And my parents never loved me, I’ve never had a boyfriend, and my sweaty tiny genitals are covered in dust from the doritos I’m eating.

I just want you all to know, and always remember, that I’m a coward and a wimp and at no point in my life have I ever been accepted or loved for who I am. And if this site ever blocks me from being able to comment I will indeed be forced to commit suicide, as coming on here to complain about women, non-white people, and the gay men my similarly-bigoted father liked to describe as “effeminate” is literally the only distraction I have from the crushing reality of my pathetic life.

Understand that I know full well that when I die there won’t be a single tear shed by anyone, anywhere.

28. Rick says

Of course, what I’m most angry about is the fact that those gender-nonconformists are brave enough to stand up and demand rights and I’m not man enough to do anything other than sit at my computer complaining about it.

29. Rick says

Obviously the troll posting as me is a complete idiot, I’m not in any way threatened by gender-nonconformists. What I’m upset about is the reality that a female to male transgendered man is more man than I’ll ever be.

30. Rick says

31. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Needless to say, the post beginning “I want to make life as difficult…..” is not from me, the real Rick, but from Little Kiwi, acting as an impostor. The other two posts are, in fact, mine”

Rick, we regular vistors to Towleroad know that. What Kiwi (or whoever) is doing is not trying to be an imposter, but to ridicule how ridiclous your views are. And to parody how this man named “Rick” got to be such a bigot. How?

I’m surprised that some of the parody comments are still so hilarious.

32. David says

Rick-This is not a game. I’m not suggesting anarchy, just equality. You seem to enjoy holding yourself superior to others. I would be more than satisfied with equal protection under the law. Whose “real” social acceptance are you seeking anyway?

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” ― Lao Tzu

33. Rick says

Shut up Derrick, you’re an effeminate black. I hate both of those things. When my parents caught me performing fellatio on my neighbor’s dog, they went out and bought me a Donna Summer wig because they thought that being gay meant I wanted to be a 1970s disco queen, and it’s the fault of effeminate blacks like you.

All I’ve ever wanted is to blow my neighbor’s dog without being associated with you limp-wristed queens. The dog was, and is, male btw. I’m not into female dogs. That would be gross.

34. Mike says

David, AB1266 is a statute. It is not part of the Constitution. The CA legislature was not obligated by the Constitution to pass AB1266, and now that it has passed, it can be repealed by a vote of the people. If transgender bathroom and locker usage is covered by the Equal Protection Clause, then a court will determine that. As far as I know, the trans activist legal orgs (which are trans-only and exclude LGBs even though they are very happy to take LGB money) have never dared make that argument to a court.

35. Debs says

It is correct what the commenter above said that trans activists, including major trans activist bloggers and at least one trans activist radio host have opposed and attacked marriage equality as a way of punishing gay people and their children. These people get off on blaming LGBs, who have done more for trans activists than anyone on the planet. That is what we get for allowing ourselves to be bamboozled into LGBT, where Ts demand that LGBs do everything even while Ts either do nothing or actively attack and undermine gay civil rights.

It is malicious and sick and if their attacks had worked, they would have harmed hundreds of thousands of gay and lesbian people AND their children. And I wouldn’t blame any LGB Californian or the friends and families of LGB Californians who would want to pay that back with a vote to repeal AB 1266. Then the trans activists will see what they get when you come after our families.

36. David says

Mike-It is not a statute. The bill, which has been signed by Gov. Brown, becomes law on Jan. 1, 2014. Every law that is not constitutional, whether it is passed by a majority or not, will eventually be overturned, once contested. All laws are “covered” by the Constitution, including the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment. All it takes is one lawsuit to challenge a law and to determine its constitutionality.

37. Mike says

Gee, DrDonna, when you responded to Debs, you forgot to switch out your fake names. So I am not sure whether I should be responding to “Dave” or “Donna.” Funny, as a trans I would have thought you would be more adept at creating fake personas.

In any event, as of the day Gov. Brown signed it, the legislation became a statute – a law. It is not a bill. It is not yet in effect, but it has been passed and signed into law. Once it is effective, it is this statute which will give trans students to right to use facilities of their choice. If the statue is repealed, then that right goes away. If you are claiming that the Constitution mandates that trans students be graned access to the facilities of their choice, regardless of whether there is a statute in place, then a court has to reach that conclusion. And as I said above, not one trans legal group has ever dared make that claim to a court. They have argued that a man convicted of hacking his wife to death with a meat cleaver has the constitutional right to hormone treatments, but not even the nutty and amoral trans activist lawyers can bring themselves to tell a court with a straight face that they have the constitutional right to use the ladies’ toilet.

Shame on you for coming here, using fake names, to dominate discussion and dialogue by gay people. Why do trans activists insist on invading other peoples’ space?

38. TheDrDonna says

I am not Dave, but it’s sad that you feel a need to come up with conspiracy theories to justify why multiple people might disagree with you. Btw, you completely failed to give any info backing up the claims about anti-gay trans activists, yet again. Good job.

39. David says

Um, not Donna. Also not trans. Just happen to also wonder about Debs’ claims, as I haven’t heard this elsewhere. Not every poster here feels the need to invent multiple identities, Mike.

40. says

Unlike the anti-trans trolls who do post under multiple names here (how bout that sign-in system, Andy?)–you’ll find nearly identical bathroom-paranoia comments on this thread as on the last one, with new names–there is no reason to think TheDoctorDonna and David are the same person, unless you’re irrational.

It’s interesting that the “gay people” here who oppose this law are in solidarity with a bunch of rightwing religious groups who are equally opposed to gay rights and–unlike the one or two trans activists who “allegedly” supported Prop 8–these rightwing groups actually bankrolled the Prop 8 campaign, just as they are bankrolling this, trans students being their new target (transphobia and homophobia being two sides of the same coin) now that they’ve lost their marriage battle in CA.

The delusion of thinking the T in LGBT is holding your happiness back as you crawl into bed with anti-gay and anti-trans zealots. Voting against transgender young people isn’t going to make homophobes like you better.

41. Thedrdonna says

In conjunction with Ernie’s comment, I’d like to add that gender nonconforming youth mostly do not end up being trans later in life-they grow out of it. HOWEVER, gender nonconformity does have a statistical link to another phenomena…homosexuality! I can’t recall the exact numbers right now, but a significant percentage (most?) of gender nonconforming youth turn out to be gay later in life. So, gay activists fighting trans youth are poisoning the well of their own community. Fighting the next generation.

42. Derrick from Philly says

THEDRDONNA,

today when I left out my apartment building there was a Transwoman neighbor of mine speaking to our building super. She just recently made a further transition. A few weeks ago she had not started wearing female clothing or hairstyle. Today she was in full make-up and hairdo but still in “androgynous” clothing. I wanted to hug her for her courage. Why? Because she’s up in age–probably in her forties. I love courage. Maybe I’ll get some one day.