Eminem | Gay Artists | Gay Media | Los Angeles | Music | Music Video | News

Out Singer Sia Donating Proceeds From Eminem Collaboration To LA Gay And Lesbian Center: LISTEN

SiaSia, the out Australian belter most famous for her "Titanium" collaboration with David Guetta, has gotten flack recently for appearing on Eminem's new album.

The rapper, whose songs contain homophobic rhetoric including liberal use of the word "faggot", recently told Rolling Stone: "...the real me sitting here right now talking to you has no issues with gay, straight, transgender, at all."

As a response to the criticism of Eminem, Sia has decided to donate proceeds from their collaboration, "Beautiful Pain," to programs benefiting homeless LGBT youth at the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center.

SheWired reports:

Australia native Sia told N.Y. based D.J. and writer Keo Nozari via Twitter that she was under the impression that Eminem’s alter-ego Slim Shady was performance art, and a thing of the past, asserting that she does not believe that Eminem is actually homophobic. But, as AfterEllen pointed out, lyrics off of “Rap God” from The Marshall Mathers LP2 would prove otherwise with hateful sentiments like, “Break a motherf--ker’s table over the back of a couple off faggots and crack it in half,” and “You fags think it’s all a game till I walk a flock of flames off a plank, and tell me what in the f--k are you thinking.”

Sia told Nozari via Twitter, “I guess my only hope at this point is that beautiful pain will do more good than rap god does harm.” She added, “I feel powerless. I thought Slim Shady had been put to bed. Now what’s done is done on my end.”

Sia's contribution to the Lesbian and Gay Center will reportedly help support a 50-bed shelter, GED preparation and job placement, meal, clothing, and medical services, and counseling.

Listen to "Beautiful Pain," AFTER THE JUMP....

Comments

1. I guess we'll wait to see if Eminem does the same.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Nov 7, 2013 4:00:39 PM

2. Eh, people change. Eminem has hopefully changed. I trust Sia's instincts more than I give any particular thought to Eminem.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 7, 2013 4:34:16 PM

3. I'm not antigay, I just encourage homophobia in others.

Posted by: rick | Nov 7, 2013 4:38:43 PM

4. "most famous for her "Titanium" collaboration with David Guetta"

?????????????????

I guess FIVE spectacular solo albums mean nothing?

Wow. Shoddy reportage.

Posted by: Brion | Nov 7, 2013 4:59:25 PM

5. @GREGOIRE

The ship has long sailed on Eminem changing. It's not like he wasn't taken to task on antigay lyrics many times in past years. Remember Elton "My Career Has Become About Giving Cover to Homophobes" John? Marshall Mathers has long made it clear that he's all about using bigotry to make a buck. There's not much lower than that. It's not the "Slim Shady" character (and Sia finally seems to have caught on to that fact). It's transparently the inner man who's the degraded human being, not just some created character. If anything, the fact he obviously knows better just makes it worse that he doesn't stop.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Nov 7, 2013 5:14:58 PM

6. Brion, Sia is definitely most known for Titanium (and Wild Ones). Doesn't matter how spectacular her solo albums are when basically no one outside of Australia knows they exist.

Posted by: JMC | Nov 7, 2013 6:11:52 PM

7. Welcome to 1995. That's when you should have realized that Eminem really is a homophobe.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 7, 2013 7:18:45 PM

8. I'm certain that Sia would not have recorded a song with him if she had been made aware of the continued hatred of gay people evident on his album. After all, even Sir Elton made the mistake of pandering to this unfortunate, no-longer-young person....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Nov 7, 2013 7:38:19 PM

9. If Eminem made a career targeting any other demographic as he does LGBT...there would be riots and burning of his music on the streets. So sick of cultural homophobia being given a pass!

Posted by: Mikey | Nov 7, 2013 7:59:08 PM

10. I met Eminem once and he was a total completely prick at the event to everyone. Plus, he's really not talented. At all. He's just a gimmick.

Posted by: Junior | Nov 7, 2013 8:00:23 PM

11. Kev C and Rick (same person) can't resist slamming on a female and calling her anti-gay. Almost all of rock's rants make mention on the inherent homophobia of women, or some nonsense like that. Typical trolls ripping on their typical targets: openly LGBT people and women, in this case both. Sad, pathetic trolls.

Posted by: Tyler | Nov 7, 2013 8:04:36 PM

12. SIA is a lesbian did not know that. I thought she was dating skrillex for a second. Oops. Breath me is what I thought she was known for. She has certainly been bringing in the bucks writing and singing with pop idols these past few years!

Posted by: Billy | Nov 7, 2013 8:21:59 PM

13. Yeah, sorry, I have to reiterate the confusion over the idea Sia is best known for Titanium. Perhaps she's most recently known for that. But, she's probably best known for Breathe Me. And I'm sorry, plenty of people who appreciate good music know Sia who are not in Australia. Don't be ridiculous just because you have no taste in music, please.

Posted by: FancyPants | Nov 7, 2013 9:53:04 PM

14. Sia's out, but as bisexual. On a side note, listen to Sia's new single "Elastic Heart", featuring Weeknd and Diplo. You won't be disappointed. And if you are, I apologize in advance...

Posted by: Deeee! | Nov 7, 2013 11:49:17 PM

15. So what does Sia mean by "proceeds"? It better mean "every penny of revenue", not some "net" or "take home" figure.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 12, 2013 1:00:17 PM