Frank Ocean | Macklemore | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Rapper R.A. the Rugged Man Says Macklemore and Frank Ocean are Using 'Gay Agenda' for Fame: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 3.13.02 PM

In a recent interview with VladTV, New York rapper R.A. the Rugged Man's answer to the question of whether or not he's a Macklemore fan quickly grew into a mild diatribe about the wider issue he has with some rappers pushing a 'gay agenda' in Hip Hop culture. HipHopDX reports:

MacklemoreR.A. likened the discussion of homosexual issues to a political ploy. "Politicians use the black community for votes; they use the Hispanic community for votes; they use the homosexual community for votes; they use women for votes; they use everybody they possibly could for votes. In politics, that's what they do, and Hip Hop is politics too."

"Macklemore, he can be sincere (in his song 'Same Love') with what he's saying about...'Oh, if I was gay, I would think Hip Hop hates me,' but what's really going on is that they're using that popular, political agenda to move their careers forward," said R.A. "And they might be offended by me saying that, and it's no disrespect to Macklemore, but that's just how I feel."

Frank OceanR.A. went on to discuss Frank Ocean, who publicly came out last year. R.A. doesn't buy that it was a heroic or brave move, merely a marketing strategy:

"And it's the same thing with [Frank] Ocean. 'Oh, I'm gay.' Okay, you came out of the closet, but it's a week before your album drops. [Frank] Ocean, it's a political campaign that's promoted from Def Jam..."

"If Frank Ocean wanted to come out two years before his album dropped, eight months after his album dropped....the timing was strategically placed...because a big percentage of the entertainment industry and media is run by [the] homosexual community," said Rugged Man. "Which I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with that, but these people, they're smart."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Who is rapper RA?

Posted by: john patrick | Nov 3, 2013 6:14:02 PM

2. yes, because we all know that rappers and professional sports players have long used gay identities as a way to propel themselves to stardom and fame...he can't really be that stupid, can he?

Posted by: northalabama | Nov 3, 2013 6:16:41 PM

3. This would make sense if there was any reasonable guarantee that releasing a song with a gay-positive message (Mackelmore/Lewis) or coming out as a gay man (Ocean) would be well received. There was no reason to think that either would be the case.

I don't think either are heroes for their actions but I do respect them for taking a risk and sending a very positive message.

As for R.A. - He seems to be the one trying to use their actions for publicity.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Nov 3, 2013 6:17:57 PM

4. Doood just hopped on it ...taking it from the front...blaming others for taking it from the back. Whatever...getting in on the I$$UE. BS man.

Posted by: Chazwm | Nov 3, 2013 6:17:58 PM

5. First, I totally get where he's coming from about people exploiting things for their benefit. However, I find his logic flawed for a few reasons. First, regarding Frank Ocean, wouldn't it be better for the LGBT community for him to come out when he's getting the most publicity? I hate to be so cynical but if he had come out before he had the level of fame that he had, the impact wouldn't have been as big.

And regarding Macklemore, his argument totally negates an artist's freedom to actually have the feelings expressed in the song. Sometimes I get all militant and thing oh, we don't need straight people to help us. But straight allies are great and they do help bring about the changes we need.

So, while I do agree that we should be wary of fair weather friends, I just don't see it in these two examples.

Posted by: SeeeTeee | Nov 3, 2013 6:22:11 PM

6. Dear RA, ( whoever you are ), STFU already.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 3, 2013 6:25:35 PM

7. …and in related news, nobody says nothing.

Posted by: David | Nov 3, 2013 6:59:03 PM

8. So RA is waiting until just before his new album drops before he comes out in order best to maximize his take of that big gay money?

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 3, 2013 7:01:17 PM

9. I've never heard of this guy, but I've already lost respect for him for the hypocracy of his attitude.

Every artist (and every politician and all the rest of us) chooses the angle he's going to take on issues. Some (like Macklemore) will choose to advance their career while advancing love and fairness and kindness. Others exploit division and hatred.
    In this guy's case, his political opinions are written ALL OVER his lyrics. I looked up one of his songs' lyrics at random and he's "exploiting" popular opinions against the Vietnam War and against abortion and against Islamic extremists and against a whole range of other political issues, all in ONE SONG.
    So it's fine for him to express himself, but somehow "expolitative" for anyone else to express his own ideas?

Also: He's put words into Frank Ocean's mouth. He never said "I'm gay." He still has not publicly mentioned whether his orientation is gay, straight or bi.
    "RA" has tweeted all about various girls he's dating as well as ex-girlfriends, and posts pics of him being "taken care of" by a German girl and signing another girl's butt crack with a felt pen.
    But Frank Ocean mentions in one interview about a guy he had a crush on when he was younger, and somehow HIS own real life experience is the love that must not speak its name?

This is just thoughtless hypocrisy on the part of a rapper who obviously doesn't think things through before he speaks nonsense.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 3, 2013 7:13:22 PM

10. Of course they are doing it for their careers. Rap music is for homophobic bigots and any gay person who patronizes it is supporting bigotry and betraying the gay community.

Posted by: Kev C | Nov 3, 2013 7:13:27 PM

11. And saying something so absurd is not a ploy to get you 5 seconds of fame.

Next.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 3, 2013 7:15:34 PM

12. No RA you talentless prick. Mackelmore and Frank Ocean are huge because they are talented artists with viewpoints that are current and challenging. It's not their fault no-one has ever heard of you.

Posted by: jersey | Nov 3, 2013 7:23:11 PM

13. Point #1: Not only does he not have enough sense not to say stupid things, but he hasn't enough sense to hire an agent to keep him from saying stupid things.

Point #2: Sour grapes.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Nov 3, 2013 7:43:42 PM

14. Idiot.

Posted by: Sean | Nov 3, 2013 7:44:14 PM

15. That gay themes in a song or someone's coming out is strategically placed to maximize profit is not a valid criticism. If Frank came out two years ago or in two years, there still would bigoted ignorance claiming it was timed. Oddly, most celebrities come out AFTER the ship has sailed on their careers..hmm guess that's Bigotry Society Inc. agenda, doing what it does best - shaming, killing, and stigmatizing homosexuals.

Posted by: Will | Nov 3, 2013 7:45:04 PM

16. anybody who calls himself "Rugged Man" and then whines like this--ain't.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Nov 3, 2013 7:53:53 PM

17. What a sad sack.

Posted by: Greggdw | Nov 3, 2013 7:55:19 PM

18. Oh God. I'm mortified for him.

Posted by: sundayboy | Nov 3, 2013 8:01:06 PM

19. never heard of this clown

Posted by: Reality | Nov 3, 2013 8:38:50 PM

20. Yes, we're being manipulated and used by the music industry, but not in the way this rapper is suggesting. We're being manipulated and used by the fake-bisexual females whose pseudo-lesbian images actually are designed to appeal to sleazy straight guys at our expense. Think Gaga, Madonna, Katy Perry, Britney, Rihanna etc etc.

At the end of the day you only have to look at the current Billboard Hot 100 chart to see how bad it is for openly gay and bisexual men. The chart is completely devoid of us.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Nov 3, 2013 8:49:36 PM

21. Honey, you're an idiot. What do antigay people do but use people for votes?

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Nov 3, 2013 9:30:13 PM

22. Using gay agenda? Macklemoore has done more for marriage equality than gay community could ever repay him.

Posted by: litper | Nov 3, 2013 11:00:05 PM

23. By the way, do you guys like the new screen name "Adrenan P" that I'm using?

I thought it up while I was being ignored my my entire family because they wish I was a lesbian.

Posted by: jason | Nov 3, 2013 11:02:28 PM

24. Somebody's jealous, right? The Same Love song was out for over a year and it was only after Thrift Store got big, and the Supreme Court delivered their opinion, that it started to get airplay.

Posted by: homer | Nov 3, 2013 11:26:34 PM

25. Well, he got that gay publicity he was seeking.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 4, 2013 12:08:47 AM