Film | News | Yves Saint Laurent

BigGayDeal.com

Yves Saint Laurent Biopic Chronicles Designer's Career, Love: VIDEO

Yves

Here is the first subtitled trailer for Yves Saint Laurent, a biopic about the late fashion designer which chronicles the rise of his career and his longtime love affair with partner Pierre Bergé, whom he eventually joined with in a "civil pact of solidarity" shortly before his death in 2008. The film stars Pierre Niney as Laurent and Guillaume Gallienne as Bergé. It's directed by Jalil Lespert, and set for release in 2014.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_yves

Comments

1. The interesting thing about Yves is that he had a male partner but spent his life promoting women's bodies.

Posted by: jimbryant | Nov 10, 2013 5:09:19 PM

2. He was better at designing women's clothes and it was far more lucrative then men's clothing. Remember this was back in the law 60's and early 70's. By mid-70's he started his own custom suit line (learning from Pierre Cardin) to the masses and held lucrative contracts with Joseph Magnin, Macy*s, Nordstroms and others.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 10, 2013 5:44:08 PM

3. Wasn't he uber neurotic and very shy? I seem to remember hearing or reading this somewhere.

Posted by: rstbastard | Nov 10, 2013 7:12:18 PM

4. May I recommend the documentary "L'Amour Fou" for the uninitiated: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606382/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Posted by: Bond1965 | Nov 10, 2013 7:27:07 PM

5. I'm rather impressed that such a mass-market biopic features so much about his love life. I guess that's a sign we're in 2013.

Posted by: Jols | Nov 11, 2013 2:49:26 AM

6. Looks great- can't wait to see it.

Posted by: Rob | Nov 11, 2013 6:47:55 AM

7. YSL inspirational hero for me and everyone who sews.
    the greatest craftsman and innovator.
    consumate artist, passionate, perfectionist, poetic
    A dreamer, a true genius.
    Hope the film lives up to him

Posted by: Gilbert | Nov 11, 2013 8:36:52 AM

8. Wait a minute. A gay fashion designer? I thought they were as rare as the dodo. Next you're going to tell me that Calvin Klein's gay.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 11, 2013 8:41:45 AM

9. A great many gay men admire and are inspired by women JIMBRYANT. That doesn't make them any less -- or any ore -- gay.

This looks good. it's a great story of a shy, emotionally fragile man of enormous creativity, insight, sentitivity and above all taste (something that's almost entirely vanished from fashion and everything else.)

The big question: Who will play Catherine Deneuve and Loulou de la Falaise?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 11, 2013 9:12:32 AM

10. Who effing cares? Seriously, didn't high camp go out of style in the 1980's?

Posted by: Endoritos | Nov 11, 2013 11:26:56 AM

11. Biopics often fail because, when the subject enjoys icon status, it's really difficult for an actor to manage a credible portrayal. Especially of the subject is still living - or recently deceased. For example, Naomi Watts might be a competent actress, but convincing the viewer that she's Diana has obviously been a problem for many. And has any actor really managed to play JFK completely convincingly? I recently watched a French biopic on Sarkozy which was amazing, both because the actor looked so much like him, & because he's a superb actor. I was surprised to find myself forgetting I was watching a biopic. The same goes for Michael Sheen, who plays Tony Blair in The Queen - striking likeness, good actor. (He's also brilliant as the British comedian, Kenneth Williams). If this trailer is anything to go by, this French biopic looks like it'll be a winner.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 11, 2013 2:32:05 PM

12. Thanks for the reminder, BOND1965. I caught l'Amour Fou on TV & would love to watch it again. I've found the trailer on YouTube & hope I'll be successful finding the full documentary.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Nov 11, 2013 2:37:34 PM

13. Yes, this doesn't look as bad as I thought it might — interesting comment, as to who plays Deneuve and Loulou (if their characters are given any credence). I'm just wondering if Pierre Bergé has given his blessing on this as he is known for sueing a hat for being a hat. Unless he is a consultant (perhaps). Worth a look… and it's good for people to see what real design and real designers are all about.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Nov 11, 2013 2:46:52 PM