Ben Whishaw | Freddie Mercury | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ben Whishaw Confirmed to Play Freddie Mercury in Upcoming Biopic

Actor Ben Whishaw (Skyfall, Brideshead Revisited, Cloud Atlas), who was included in Towleroad's 53 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2013, is confirmed to play Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic.

WhishawDeadline reports:

Hot off directing the musical Sunshine On Leith, British actor-turned-helmer Dexter Fletcher has closed a deal to helm the movie on rock supergroup Queen, with  frontman Freddie Mercury to be played Ben Whishaw. GK Films’ Graham King is producing, and Sony Pictures has first crack at the film. This has been a passion project for King for several years, and it started with Sacha Baron Cohen attached to play Mercury, the singular-voiced frontman.

According to Deadline, "the pic will tell the formative coming-of-age story of the group, culminating in Queen headlining Live Aid in 1985. Queen’s performance is considered one of rock’s all-time great concert appearances."

Comments

1. Very talented actor, just saw his excellent performace as Rikhard II (in the series Hollow Crown).

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 10, 2013 11:40:12 AM

2. This is great. Much better than Sasha Baron Cohen. Whishaw is a superb actor who was brilliant in The Hollow Crown.

Posted by: CC | Dec 10, 2013 12:08:49 PM

3. So, will the film whitewash the fact Mercury was Indian??

Posted by: Alexa | Dec 10, 2013 12:16:04 PM

4. SBC was the superb choice. There would be ART and passion and GRIT and an all-out performance from that guy.

Ben Whishaw. Great. And the bland remaining Queen members having artistic control. It's like sinking in a mountain of white flour.

Posted by: will | Dec 10, 2013 1:03:54 PM

5. @Alexa, awww they are. Which sucks because I am always saying I want this super hot guy to be in more stuff.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 10, 2013 1:10:19 PM

6. Good choice, fabulous actor. Can't wait for the film. Thumbs up from this guy!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 10, 2013 1:22:53 PM

7. Good news, Ben should be able to pull this off brilliantly — I didn't know who he was until I watched every episode of "The Hour" where, even among a wonderful cast, he outdid everyone. I just hope they don't justify their choice with the fact that he's married to a man.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Dec 10, 2013 1:52:44 PM

8. So, along with Tom Hardy, continuing the trend of getting actors to play well-known figures they look nothing like. What's next, Zac Efron to play Nelson Mandela?

Posted by: danswon | Dec 10, 2013 1:53:50 PM

9. He's a little too pretty at first glance, but he's a great actor, I'll be he can pull it off. It's not always about the look.

Sacha Baron Cohen certainly looked the part, but I don't think he would have had the acting chops to do it.

Posted by: Brandon H | Dec 10, 2013 2:20:53 PM

10. Bad choice. Whishaw is a good actor but the actor who portrays Freddie Mercury needs to be extraordinary. Whishaw just doesn't cut for me.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 10, 2013 2:32:29 PM

11. @Alexa Parsis are persian descent. Freddie wasn't born in India and he identified as persian.

As long as they indicate Freddie had a persian/african/indian background and heritage I don't see this casting as a problem. And I'm sure they will include some reference to that because it is unusual and interesting. Freddie looked white to most people. An ethnic actor who looked as white as Freddie would not face as big of obstacles to being cast in lead roles in mainstream movies as an out gay actor like Ben, so I'm glad it went to Ben.

Posted by: Greg | Dec 10, 2013 2:55:19 PM

12. I'm just glad it's not Sacha Borat Cohen. I enjoy Cohen for slapstick. But he'd butcher Mercury. I don't trust Cohen in a real non-slapstick role.

Mercury intrigues me, although I've only really learned about him recently.. This actor chosen won't distract from the story like Cohen would.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Dec 10, 2013 10:52:08 PM