Ben Whishaw Confirmed to Play Freddie Mercury in Upcoming Biopic

Actor Ben Whishaw (Skyfall, Brideshead Revisited, Cloud Atlas), who was included in Towleroad's 53 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2013, is confirmed to play Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic.

WhishawDeadline reports:

Hot off directing the musical Sunshine On Leith, British actor-turned-helmer Dexter Fletcher has closed a deal to helm the movie on rock supergroup Queen, with  frontman Freddie Mercury to be played Ben Whishaw. GK Films’ Graham King is producing, and Sony Pictures has first crack at the film. This has been a passion project for King for several years, and it started with Sacha Baron Cohen attached to play Mercury, the singular-voiced frontman.

According to Deadline, "the pic will tell the formative coming-of-age story of the group, culminating in Queen headlining Live Aid in 1985. Queen’s performance is considered one of rock’s all-time great concert appearances."

Comments

1. will says

SBC was the superb choice. There would be ART and passion and GRIT and an all-out performance from that guy.

Ben Whishaw. Great. And the bland remaining Queen members having artistic control. It’s like sinking in a mountain of white flour.

2. tinkerbelle says

Good news, Ben should be able to pull this off brilliantly — I didn’t know who he was until I watched every episode of “The Hour” where, even among a wonderful cast, he outdid everyone. I just hope they don’t justify their choice with the fact that he’s married to a man.

3. danswon says

So, along with Tom Hardy, continuing the trend of getting actors to play well-known figures they look nothing like. What’s next, Zac Efron to play Nelson Mandela?

4. Brandon H says

He’s a little too pretty at first glance, but he’s a great actor, I’ll be he can pull it off. It’s not always about the look.

Sacha Baron Cohen certainly looked the part, but I don’t think he would have had the acting chops to do it.

5. Greg says

@Alexa Parsis are persian descent. Freddie wasn’t born in India and he identified as persian.

As long as they indicate Freddie had a persian/african/indian background and heritage I don’t see this casting as a problem. And I’m sure they will include some reference to that because it is unusual and interesting. Freddie looked white to most people. An ethnic actor who looked as white as Freddie would not face as big of obstacles to being cast in lead roles in mainstream movies as an out gay actor like Ben, so I’m glad it went to Ben.

6. Just_a_guy says

I’m just glad it’s not Sacha Borat Cohen. I enjoy Cohen for slapstick. But he’d butcher Mercury. I don’t trust Cohen in a real non-slapstick role.

Mercury intrigues me, although I’ve only really learned about him recently.. This actor chosen won’t distract from the story like Cohen would.